which LORs to send? is 7 too many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeineaholic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advise me on which LORs to send! For sending LORs electronically, my school's reference letter service makes us set a packet of letters that can't be changed throughout the application season (i.e. the LORs i pick now to put in my packet go to all the schools that i have LORs sent electronically to).

I have 7 LORs that I have ready to be sent. Is that too many? It seems like overkill. Should I cut down on 1 or 2 LORs? Help me pick which one(s).

LORs sending for sure:
-PI of NIH lab
-BME prof & also PI of other lab I worked in (may or may not be considered science, biomaterials class wasn't a pre-med req)
-history prof (humanities letter)
-director of volunteer student organization I was a leader in / involved in for 3 years
(4 LORS)

other LORs debating between (must send at least 1, likely 2)
-prof of infectious disease class through Ecology Biology department
(Pros: I was one of the top students in the class, grad student instructor who helped prof write the letter had openly offered to write LOR for me before I even asked, i mentioned interest in global health/infectious diseases in my PS; Cons: course was through Ecology Biology and not Molecular Biology and thus might not be seen as scientifically rigorous)
-BME prof of class that counts as inorganic chemistry req
(Pros: counts as science pre-med req, performed very well in class (though many others did too...no normal curve in class, Cons: prof doesn't know me very well, was small class, but i took it sophomore year and just asked prof this summer for LOR; he said he wrote me a good letter, but he still doesn't know me well...just my grade spreadsheet & resume were his resources for writing the LOR)
-Organic chemistry II lab Grad Student Instructor + co-signed by organic chem II lab professor
(Pros: science pre-med req, Cons: grad student is foreign-born, English isn't that great, didn't have much experience w/ LOR writing)

I'm debating between ones that I think are stronger (i.e. LOR writers knew me better) vs. ones I know for sure fit the LOR reqs (2 science, 1 humanities) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Please advise me on which LORs to send! For sending LORs electronically, my school's reference letter service makes us set a packet of letters that can't be changed throughout the application season (i.e. the LORs i pick now to put in my packet go to all the schools that i have LORs sent electronically to).

That sucks big time because different schools have different requirements. Some schools go as far as to say sending more than we asked for is highly discouraged. Others allow you send more than they ask but only after you have met their requirements. 7 is overkill and think people will agree with me here. I say pick 2 academic (Most schools will require) one lab and one personal.

However, the main point here is to look at the schools you have applied to and see what combination of letters let you meet the requirements of most (I doubt all) schools.

The first thing I noticed is most of your for sure letters are the ones that are of less importance.

Keep the history one because that is your non science letter.

Then get two professors who are science professors to write your other two main letters. I guess for this you could use the inorganic chem letter and the biology letter. I don't know how it is a con that it is not a molecular biology teacher. That is really of irrelevance. The importance is that he's a science professor who knows you well.

Then choose any two other letters for your character letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would cut out that organic chemistry letter. If you're not sure that it is well written, then screw it.

6 letters doesn't sound too excessive especially if they come in a committee packet. Plus you really need at least 2 science class recommendations. Maybe see if you can get another non-science rec and cut out one of your random ones.

Quality over quantity.

I've got a question since we're on the topic of questionable LORs . . .

If you do well in a glass and don't do anything idiotic (i.e. act arrogant, skip class repeatedly), is it pretty much safe to say that you'll have a good LOR from that professor? well, maybe not stellar, but fairly good.

I took 4 classes from a guy in grad school and asked him to write me an LOR over the phone. I provided resources (resume, PS) and he said he'd do it. But, he wasn't sure he remembered me. Then, I sent a follow-up e-mail stressing that I need a positive letter. I showed up, participated, and got As in his classes, so I have no reason to worry, right?

If you do well in a glass and don't do anything idiotic (i.e. act arrogant, skip class repeatedly), is it pretty much safe to say that you'll have a good LOR from that professor? well, maybe not stellar, but fairly good.

I took 4 classes from a guy in grad school and asked him to write me an LOR over the phone. I provided resources (resume, PS) and he said he'd do it. But, he wasn't sure he remembered me. Then, I sent a follow-up e-mail stressing that I need a positive letter. I showed up, participated, and got As in his classes, so I have no reason to worry, right?

I don't know your professor, but I think if you made a positive impression and gave the necessary resources they should write a good LOR.

In that case, you're hoping your professor has enough LOR-writing experience not write a generic "This kid got an A" letter. Unfortunately, you'll never really get to know since it's confidential. Just hope for the best!

In that case, you're hoping your professor has enough LOR-writing experience not write a generic "This kid got an A" letter. Unfortunately, you'll never really get to know since it's confidential. Just hope for the best!

He's a graduate advisor in an MPH program, so I assume he would have written a million of these.

So many kids use public health as a way to get into medical school. :cool:

Yeah, I wouldn't send more than five letters since thats what many schools set their limit at. So, it looks like you should send:
BME prof for inorganic chem
Infectious disease prof
(2 science)
History (non-science)

PI of NIH lab and Volunteer LOR if you think they will both be good LORs.

Good luck with your applications!

He's a graduate advisor in an MPH program, so I assume he would have written a million of these.

So many kids use public health as a way to get into medical school. :cool:

I make no assumptions in this process. :cool:

Doesn't the limit only apply when you send the letters individually?
I was told by my advisor that there is no limit for the number of letters if they're sent in a committee packet.

Does an engineering LOR count as science LOR?

Doesn't the limit only apply when you send the letters individually?
I was told by my advisor that there is no limit for the number of letters if they're sent in a committee packet.
Yeah that's because they take the important part of those letters and combine it in one big letter.

However if you send it separately the adcom has to read all 7 letters which makes it tedious and why they have you limit the amt of letters you send in.

LORs sending for sure:
-PI of NIH lab
-BME prof & also PI of other lab I worked in (may or may not be considered science, biomaterials class wasn't a pre-med req)
-director of volunteer student organization I was a leader in / involved in for 3 years
(4 LORS)

-Organic chemistry II lab Grad Student Instructor + co-signed by organic chem II lab professor

What's your major? Send one from that.

Throw out the organic letter, since many schools don't want letters from professors that taught you in lab. You don't need to have your letters be from pre-med requirements (one of mine was, one wasn't, but that's just because I'm not taking any additional chemistry classes, and my chemistry professor had me in his class for 3 semesters).

Have you filled out your AMCAS yet? Has it been verified? What do they consider your biomaterials class? If they consider it science, just send one of the other letters. If they don't consider it science, send two. Just know that you're really stretching the limit by sending 6 letters.

I have 7 LORs that I have ready to be sent. Is that too many? It seems like overkill. Should I cut down on 1 or 2 LORs? Help me pick which one(s).

LORs sending for sure:
-PI of NIH lab
(4 LORS)

(Pros: I was one of the top students in the class, grad student instructor who helped prof write the letter had openly offered to write LOR for me before I even asked, i mentioned interest in global health/infectious diseases in my PS; Cons: course was through Ecology Biology and not Molecular Biology and thus might not be seen as scientifically rigorous)
(Pros: counts as science pre-med req, performed very well in class (though many others did too...no normal curve in class, Cons: prof doesn't know me very well, was small class, but i took it sophomore year and just asked prof this summer for LOR; he said he wrote me a good letter, but he still doesn't know me well...just my grade spreadsheet & resume were his resources for writing the LOR)
(Pros: science pre-med req, Cons: grad student is foreign-born, English isn't that great, didn't have much experience w/ LOR writing)

I'm debating between ones that I think are stronger (i.e. LOR writers knew me better) vs. ones I know for sure fit the LOR reqs (2 science, 1 humanities) Thanks!

I just called 6 schools and asked if there is any limit for the maximum number of letters. My school doesn't compose one big letter, but instead sends a packet that includes all the individual letters. Except GWU, they said there is no limit and you can include as many as you want as long as it comes in an institutional packet. GWU said they prefer less than 5 letters, if possible.

So I encourage you to contact each school that you're applying and ask. It only took me like 20 seconds per school. If you think each of your 7 letters is strong, then you surely can send them all. But make sure you call and check with them first. Hope this helps.

What's your major? Send one from that.

Throw out the organic letter, since many schools don't want letters from professors that taught you in lab. You don't need to have your letters be from pre-med requirements (one of mine was, one wasn't, but that's just because I'm not taking any additional chemistry classes, and my chemistry professor had me in his class for 3 semesters).

Have you filled out your AMCAS yet? Has it been verified? What do they consider your biomaterials class? If they consider it science, just send one of the other letters. If they don't consider it science, send two. Just know that you're really stretching the limit by sending 6 letters.

Biomedical engineering was my major, so either the BME inorganic chem LOR or the Biomaterials LOR would work as an LOR from my major. My AMCAS primary app was just verified this week and my biomaterials class is under engineering (not science) since I didn't want them potentially delaying my app over any classification debates, so I guess the biomaterials LOR wouldn't count as a science one. I should probably play it safe and use the BME inorganic chem one since it counts as a science letter + a letter from my major.

The reason why I considered the 4 LORs I listed as 'send for sure', is because each of those LOR writers know me well in an individual capacity (vs. just being one of many students or participants in an organization). I feel pretty secure in believing that they submitted personal, positive strong LORs for me.

However, it seems that my barebones LOR set should be:
-history LOR
-infectious disease bio LOR
-BME inorganic chem LOR

And then for additional LORs, in order of significance or displaying other characteristics about me:
-NIH PI (research aspect + infectious disease aspect + publication)
-volunteering LOR (leadership + committment to community/underserved)

I think I'll send those five. Would 5 be stretching the limit at all or should it be fine?

I'm still wavering on the Biomaterials letter and sending it as a 6th letter (which seems like it'd be really pushing the limit). Why I want to submit it: I had the prof write my LOR to get my NIH internship and my NIH PI mentioned that this LOR was very strong. Also, the Biomaterials prof mentioned that he wrote a med LOR for a past student with good results (guy goes to Duke med now), so his LOR shouldn't be too narrowly focused on engin where it wouldn't go over well with med schools.

This prof has a strong, genuine passion for his research and teaching that is very obvious. He really cares about his students learning the concepts (and not just getting a grade), and strongly cares about mentoring his post-docs and grad students (and not just getting work out of them). He's very enthusiastic as well as friendly. After I asked him about writing an LOR for me, I left his office feeling happy and more motivated and encouraged in general. He readily agreed to write an LOR, and then proceeded to talk for a while about how he valued medicine as a field (his father wanted him to be a doctor, but he couldn't stand blood, so he does biomedical engin research instead, etc.), and then he conveyed a message of wishing me well, and believing that I would be successful in my endeavors. Overall, I just get a positive, authentic vibe and I think his LOR would convey that vibe. Plus, I worked in his lab for 2 months one summer and also went to many office hours for his class for discussing a semester-long project. Cons of including the letter: non-science, redundant as a BME letter, too many letters already, and I only got an A- in his class (vs. a full A).

I contrast him to the BME inorganic chem prof Iand their LORs) and the difference seems large. Though I did very well in that class (high straight scale A), there were a few other students that did even better. This prof probably wrote a positive, but fairly generic letter based mostly off my grades in his class and my resume (which is all in AMCAS already). I asked him for a LOR 2 years after I had him for the course, and when I asked him, he mentioned how busy he was with writing grants/other LORs, but then agreed to write an LOR for me. Also, he did a poll in his class to see how many pre-med BMEs there were, and seemed pretty surprised that there were so many (vs. having more that wanted to do engin research). He said he wrote a 'strong' LOR for me, but he doesn't know me that well. The BME inorganic chem LOR fits the science req and that's pretty much why i'm sending it, though I want to send the Biomaterials letter to have a very strong BME letter.

I'd appreciate advice on whether (1) I'm crazy for even wanting to send 5 LORs, (2) I should include the Biomaterials letter as a 6th letter? I don't want adcoms to feel like i'm wasting their time by sending them too many LORs, but I do feel like the LORs can add another dimension to me that's not represented by the rest of AMCAS. It's just that the LORs by people that know me the best don't fit the reqs.

Well, it sounds like you should send all 6, just so you fill the reqs, and have those really strong letters in there. Just e-mail or call the schools you're interested in and make sure they don't have max letter requirements. I've seen one or two that says 'don't send more than 5', but many say there is no max.

I personally send about 4 to every school... my humanities professor, chemistry, and one of my bio professors, plus the leader of an organization I'm in. The humanities letter and organization letter are probably the strongest, and each of them is 2 pages. One of my bio professors probably wrote me a good recommendation, but I don't know how much he could say about me other than I am qualified to go to medical school. I hope my chemistry professor wrote a good one, since I've seen him several times outside of class, and I had him for 3 semesters. *shrugs* we'll see.