Which loupes are the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamwoody

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I'm new to this studentdoctor thing, so here goes. I've recently been accepted to dental school and I received a letter stating that we are required to purchase dental loupes (magnification lenses). However we are only allotted enough money through financial aid to get Surgitel loupes. We are, however allowed to spend a few extra bucks and get better ones. Is there anyone out there that could shed some light on the subject for me whether or not it is a good idea to invest in better lenses? Do students actually use them?

Members don't see this ad.

I have Surgitel 2.5's, and they're just fine. Designs For Vision and Orascoptic are the other two big companies, but they're more expensive (particularly DFV). I didn't notice any significant differences between the Surgitels and the DFV, so I opted to save $150. If you get some and don't like them, all three companies will let you return them within 45 days for a refund so you can try another pair.

I also purchased Surgitels, and they are fine.

To the OP: I wouldn't worry *too* much about this just yet. Your school ought to have reps from all the major companies come in to fit you, and then you can probably make a decision then.

Any brand you choose will probably be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking dental students may not be the best thing. I too bought the 2.5 surgitels, however, I just did it because that is what everyone else was doing and I thought there must be something to it. I now wish I had opted for the 3x. My brother just bought a pair of 4x Zeiss loupes (prizmatic not galilean) and he swears by them, but he also spent 1200. Loupes are something that you will have for a long time and are very expensive, so I suggest talking to dentists who have alot of experience using them. Dentaltown.com has alot of information from dentists.

Col Sanders brings up some excellent points.

I spent the first couple of months bitching about my loupes because the focal point was off by several inches for where I liked to work. Because of that, I wasn't wearing them, so I wasn't use to them.

When they got fixed, I wasn't used to wearing them, so I felt awkward when I tried to wear them.

I think I've finally overcome all of that, and I enjoy them now.

A notable point is: you don't have to wear your loupes for everything. Most preps can turn out just fine without your loupes. Don't feel as though you MUST wear them on every patient just because you have them.

I've got Orascoptics and am very pleased with them. Make sure the companies know you are a dental student, you will get a big discount. As far as Orascoptic, you do get a 45 day trial period but if you don't like them they refund everything minus shipping, and u have to pay to ship them back.

Surgitel are probably fine for dental school. IMHO they are not as high quality as the DFV or Zeiss but since your only wearing them a limited amount of time they will probably do what you need and not cause eye fatigue. Once you wear them several hours a day 4 days a week you might wish you had spent more. I paid $675 to buy my DFV in school. If I wanted a new pair now it would be around $1100 so the discount you get is sizable. I wouldn't practice without them and even do denture try-ins and extractions with them on.

I would spend the extra dough to get the good stuff, it will be worth it in the end. Also DFV service has been fantastic. I ran over my loupes and they repaired them and gave me a new wooden case for free!

Try them all and see what you like.

JMHO
Rob

Wow; I didn't know Zeiss made loupes! :eek:

I wonder whether they come in phase contrast, like their microscopes :laugh: :laugh: