Which Masters program should I go to prior to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveAQuestion2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle right now when it comes to making a decision between which masters program I should go to. For the record, I think both of them are fantastic options.

University of California - Irvine (UCI) - M.S. Biomedical Engineering (Thesis based)

or

McGill - M.S. Experimental Surgery (Non-thesis based)

---------------

Other Stats:

uGPA is a solid 3.72

MCAT is a 512

Didn't get into a medical school this cycle.

Waitlisted at 3 US MD schools, but eventually denied from them.

----------------

I have a keen interest in biomedical engineering (tissue engineering) as I think it ties into medicine in a wonderful way and I like what UCI has to offer. However, McGill's exSurgery program offers an interesting curriculum and a lot of flexibility in terms of the classes you can select within and in other departments. As such, I would plan on getting involved in tissue engineering based research and courses offered in the bioengineering department as the exSurgery program is multi-disciplinary. Not to mention the course track for exSurgery is very enticing to me.

Cost wise, McGill will be far cheaper as I am a Canadian Citizen (30K Total for McGill vs. 100k total for UCI)*. This would also mean that I would need to worry about the process of getting an F-1 if I plan on attending UCI. However, UCI has options for financial aid that can be explored in the long run.

For UCI, I would need to worry about the thesis during the 2nd year. That scares me a bit due to the unpredictability regarding the timeline.

In the long run, I would prefer to stay in Canada to complete medical school and be (hopefully) a surgeon who participates in research projects. However, I am open to going to US MD as I am in the process on attaining a green card as a part of my family lives there. I just want to get into medical school in the end!
:)

Not to mention the Corona-virus and its impact should be noted. As such, it makes me want to stay in Canada for the time being (Canada might be the better option).

Before it gets mentioned, I'm choosing to partake in a masters as I am pursing something I am interested and passionate about, and this is the perfect time to do it (IMO).

--------------

* The actual cost for UCI may be more around 80K compared to 100k (maximum estimates given). For McGill, the cost may be more around 20k in the end as well, but 30k is the maximum estimate given. Furthermore, UCI offers a lot of opportunities regarding financial aid and research assistant ship packages. That 80k can drop down to 50k. However, this is all hypothetical.

Members don't see this ad.

neither is that helpful to reapply. is your goal to become a doctor? then we have to examine your application, EC, and school list. Since you got waitlisted, it would imply some interviewing and other pieces need to be enhanced to push you over edge. And why I you so sure you will not get an acceptance from WL? Is it the end of June? You got time.

Thanks for the reply.
I was waitlisted at 3 MD schools but eventually got the R from them later. Quite recently too :( I guess their class got filled up?