Which masters will most likely help me get into Dental school? PLEASE help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! So I really want to get into dental school but the only problem is is that my science gpa isn't so good (I had a little bit too much fun freshman year). I was accepted into two programs, a MS program for Nutrition at Ohio State University and a MPH program at Columbia. I don't know which one to chose since I've heard a lot of bad stuff about getting an MPH when your science gpa is low. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I hear that Public Health is a desirable degree from dental schools. Other then that, I got in with a Physiology degree. In the end, I don't think it really matters as to the "type" of the degree so long as you get awsome grades and prove that you can survive in upper level courses.

I hear that Public Health is a desirable degree from dental schools. Other then that, I got in with a Physiology degree. In the end, I don't think it really matters as to the "type" of the degree so long as you get awsome grades and prove that you can survive in upper level courses.

Thanks denticus! I'm just a little worried if the MPH is the right path b/c of my science gpa..

Members don't see this ad :)
MA in biological science okay or too rough?

I don't think it matters. As long as you do good, you should be fine

That could go either way. On one hand the MPH could help with schools that have a strong emphasis community based service (like ASDOH). But on the other hand you might want a more science oriented degree. The M.S. in Nutrition is a good degree especially if you're going to do research and write a thesis. That will really help prep you for dental school. Im actually in the process of applying for the MS in Nutrition program at Arizona State so I may be biased....haha

I went to Tulane and got a Masters degree there in a biological science to boost my GPA and it helped a lot. I got in and I feel more prepared for what the future in dental school will bring. An MPH may be easier but the Nutrition will help you more in the long run. My 2 cents.