Which matters more to you in picking your specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The information you learn or the patient population you treat?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it's comfortability, quick diagnosis and visible results. It's the versatility of my patients and how many patients I can see in a day. I want to see not only kids but adults as well. I want to make sure that there is progress with my patients and they can also notice a difference, like Derm. I don't want my patients to have a terminal illness which makes them defeated or have a nonchalant attitude about life. This is why I can't do FM or Internal Medicine.

I want an environment that is stress-free and if it is stressful I know that I did make a difference, for example, Ortho, ENT, or Opthmo.

But I am more interested in Derm though but I am a lousy pre-med so please take this with a grain of salt. :cool:

O I forgot flexibility is a big deal for me and I like to have a lot of career opportunities within my field. Since I am a big traveler I do want to work with patients in destitute countries and I want to make sure it is feasible with my job ^_^.

Don't you have to like both? Say you liked the lifestyle of a specialty, but couldn't stand reading the text/literature. This would lead to your perpetually being behind in your field, and most likely not being great at what you do (although you could probably still do it). On the other hand, every specialty has their "brand" of patient. If you can't stand certain "brands" you'll probably burn out pretty quickly.

So, for me, I gotta like what I'm studying and like who I'm seeing. Nothing less than both of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was lucky enough to find both, and am really glad I did. I feel like a specialty that satisfies just one of these criteria would eventually become quite draining!

Ever heard of melanoma? or cutaneous t-cell lymphoma? Or the histocytoses/langerhans cell diseases? You will deal with dying patients in every field in medicine except possibly path.

For me, it's comfortability, quick diagnosis and visible results. It's the versatility of my patients and how many patients I can see in a day. I want to see not only kids but adults as well. I want to make sure that there is progress with my patients and they can also notice a difference, like Derm. I don't want my patients to have a terminal illness which makes them defeated or have a nonchalant attitude about life. This is why I can't do FM or Internal Medicine.

I want an environment that is stress-free and if it is stressful I know that I did make a difference, for example, Ortho, ENT, or Opthmo.

But I am more interested in Derm though but I am a lousy pre-med so please take this with a grain of salt. :cool:

O I forgot flexibility is a big deal for me and I like to have a lot of career opportunities within my field. Since I am a big traveler I do want to work with patients in destitute countries and I want to make sure it is feasible with my job ^_^.

Ever heard of melanoma? or cutaneous t-cell lymphoma? Or the histocytoses/langerhans cell diseases? You will deal with dying patients in every field in medicine except possibly path.

This is amusing. You'll deal with dying patients in all field of medicine.......well, unless you want to deal with only dead patients.

Priceless.

I would like a specialty that pays enough for me to make it rain every Friday night at the strip club. :cool:

This is amusing. You'll deal with dying patients in all field of medicine.......well, unless you want to deal with only dead patients.

Priceless.

I may be completely wrong on this but post-residency don't pathologists have the choice never to deal with dead bodies again based on subspecialty choice and practice type? I assume the folks reading renal biopsy slides aren't also dealing with forensic path but I could be wrong

On a somewhat related note I'm guessing sports med ortho probably sees very little death

I may be completely wrong on this but post-residency don't pathologists have the choice never to deal with dead bodies again based on subspecialty choice and practice type? I assume the folks reading renal biopsy slides aren't also dealing with forensic path but I could be wrong

On a somewhat related note I'm guessing sports med ortho probably sees very little death

Most of the sports med guys still take regular ortho call. Their pt population is generally healthier, though.

You can def not see pts in path post-residency.

How can you possibly know any of this? You've never had a patient, made a diagnosis or been on an FM or IM rotation. You may hate surgery.

I know you're pre-med and dream about looking at skin all day err'day, but try try try to keep an open mind when you get into medical school.

He will. Most pre conceived notions about specialties change pretty quickly on rotations. That's why we have them (partially)

I would like a specialty that pays enough for me to make it rain every Friday night at the strip club. :cool:

I would like a specialty that pays enough for me to make it rain every night at the strip club!

Members don't see this ad :)

Ignoring the toolish fact that you're a premed gunning for derm...

1. You have no idea what any of these fields are like. You're lumping Ortho, ENT, and Ophtho together as if they're anything alike. They're not. ENT and Ortho are hardcore surgical subspecialties. They work very long hours and spend long amounts of time doing very tough surgeries in the OR. Ophtho surgeries are much, much shorter, and most of the days in Ophtho are spent in the clinics, with generally a much nicer lifestyle.

2. Just because people are dying does not necessarily mean they have a defeated attitude in life. I had a patient with stage IV prostate cancer metastatic to the lung who has managed to survive 5 years with the stage IV diagnosis and he's as upbeat and lively as ever.

3. You will encounter dying people in every field of medicine, as said before (except for path). Surgical patients die all the time, not just patients in FM and Internal Medicine.

4. Do what you like, in the end. Trying to do something just because it makes lots of money or has lots of prestige will bring mostly misery if you don't enjoy it.

Trust me... whatever you THINK you want to do in your premed life, you have absolutely no idea if that will be the case when you actually start 3rd year and get exposed to the different specialties.

The information you learn or the patient population you treat?

Both - hence why I want to go into GI. I like the fact that there's definitive treatments and I like reading about medicine. I also want to do primary care along with it or hospitalist work because I like taking care of the whole patient. Sure, it's sometimes frustrating to deal with certain patient populations, but ultimately you just have to try your best.

Ignoring the toolish fact that you're a premed gunning for derm...

1. You have no idea what any of these fields are like. You're lumping Ortho, ENT, and Ophtho together as if they're anything alike. They're not. ENT and Ortho are hardcore surgical subspecialties. They work very long hours and spend long amounts of time doing very tough surgeries in the OR. Ophtho surgeries are much, much shorter, and most of the days in Ophtho are spent in the clinics, with generally a much nicer lifestyle.

2. Just because people are dying does not necessarily mean they have a defeated attitude in life. I had a patient with stage IV prostate cancer metastatic to the lung who has managed to survive 5 years with the stage IV diagnosis and he's as upbeat and lively as ever.

3. You will encounter dying people in every field of medicine, as said before (except for path). Surgical patients die all the time, not just patients in FM and Internal Medicine.

4. Do what you like, in the end. Trying to do something just because it makes lots of money or has lots of prestige will bring mostly misery if you don't enjoy it.

Trust me... whatever you THINK you want to do in your premed life, you have absolutely no idea if that will be the case when you actually start 3rd year and get exposed to the different specialties.​

ENT post-residency is what you make of it. If you stay away from the long H&N oncology type cases and have more clinic you can have a schedule closer to Urology vs Orthopedics.

Yeah there are dying patients in every field but there are definitely differences between fields. A dermatologist is going to see signficantly fewer terminal patients than a hospitalist or an oncologist.

No reason to be a douche to a pre-med who may have a sincere interest in derm (pre-medical experience, personal experience, who knows). Yes a lot of people change their minds but I know plenty of people who came in 100% on a particular field and never wavered. There are plenty of opportunities to do research and have experience in a field of interest prior to med school. It isn't toolish to have an interest in any field no matter how competitive it is.

ENT post-residency is what you make of it. If you stay away from the long H&N oncology type cases and have more clinic you can have a schedule closer to Urology vs Orthopedics.

Yeah there are dying patients in every field but there are definitely differences between fields. A dermatologist is going to see signficantly fewer terminal patients than a hospitalist or an oncologist.

No reason to be a douche to a pre-med who may have a sincere interest in derm (pre-medical experience, personal experience, who knows). Yes a lot of people change their minds but I know plenty of people who came in 100% on a particular field and never wavered. There are plenty of opportunities to do research and have experience in a field of interest prior to med school. It isn't toolish to have an interest in any field no matter how competitive it is.

I may have been a little strong but I still think going into medical school thinking "I'm gonna do derm!" is kind of ridiculous.

I may have been a little strong but I still think going into medical school thinking "I'm gonna do derm!" is kind of ridiculous.

If you have legit interest in it via personal experience, shadowing, whatever it's no less ridiculous than saying "I'm gonna do ortho!" or "I'm gonna do FM!". Just because a specialty makes more on average or has a good lifestyle doesn't mean a premed should be ridiculed for having interest in it, especially if that interest is sincere. I'm not accusing you of this (bc I don't know you) but I get so sick of those "save the world types" who look down on anyone not interested in primary care.

If you have legit interest in it via personal experience, shadowing, whatever it's no less ridiculous than saying "I'm gonna do ortho!" or "I'm gonna do FM!". Just because a specialty makes more on average or has a good lifestyle doesn't mean a premed should be ridiculed for having interest in it, especially if that interest is sincere. I'm not accusing you of this (bc I don't know you) but I get so sick of those "save the world types" who look down on anyone not interested in primary care.

1. I agree with the first bolded post, so I'm not sure why we're arguing here.

2. I have never ever heard anyone say the second bolded statement with the idea of condescension - it would be ridiculous, given how popular lifestyle specialties are. On the other hand, I've heard plenty more people look down on people interested in primary care with much more condescension, especially on this website.

1. I agree with the first bolded post, so I'm not sure why we're arguing here.

2. I have never ever heard anyone say the second bolded statement with the idea of condescension - it would be ridiculous, given how popular lifestyle specialties are. On the other hand, I've heard plenty more people look down on people interested in primary care with much more condescension, especially on this website.

Not talking about this website. Talking about IRL.

One instance was when an attending visibly got upset (but tried to hide it) when a few of the group members mentioned specialties like anesthesia, derm, and rads as potential interests.

Another instance was when an attending took an out of nowhere shot at ortho saying "I don't know why it's so competitive. You don't need to be that smart to fix bones"

I've come across many people who think people who want to specialize have the wrong motivations for becoming a doctor. This site is different because it seems to self select for a lot of high achievers and folks that are going into competitive specialties. With that said specialties like derm and rads still get plenty of hate on the forums.

Not talking about this website. Talking about IRL.

One instance was when an attending visibly got upset (but tried to hide it) when a few of the group members mentioned specialties like anesthesia, derm, and rads as potential interests.

Another instance was when an attending took an out of nowhere shot at ortho saying "I don't know why it's so competitive. You don't need to be that smart to fix bones"

I've come across many people who think people who want to specialize have the wrong motivations for becoming a doctor. This site is different because it seems to self select for a lot of high achievers and folks that are going into competitive specialties. With that said specialties like derm and rads still get plenty of hate on the forums.

Eh, I think at this point we're both arguing "this is what my anecdote is"... honestly, my experience has been more that when I say that I'm going into Medicine, I get a sneer from some ortho-bound kid who goes "well you're not doing primary care though right?"... like it's some curse to do primary care.

I don't think people who want to specialize have the wrong motivations. And maybe this kid has some experience with derm, I don't know. However, it's a pretty strange thing for someone to come into medical school with experience only with dermatology - even the derm-bound people I know didn't do that.

Eh, I think at this point we're both arguing "this is what my anecdote is"... honestly, my experience has been more that when I say that I'm going into Medicine, I get a sneer from some ortho-bound kid who goes "well you're not doing primary care though right?"... like it's some curse to do primary care.

I don't think people who want to specialize have the wrong motivations. And maybe this kid has some experience with derm, I don't know. However, it's a pretty strange thing for someone to come into medical school with experience only with dermatology - even the derm-bound people I know didn't do that.

Yeah it's definitely anecdotal. Not trying to argue my experience over yours just sharing mine. I go to a primary care oriented school but even those interested in fields like ortho, rad onc, uro etc like to make cracks about derm and rads. I'm interested in IR so that does cut down the hate a little bit.

I agree that it's smart to have experience in something other than derm but that it is true for any of the narrow specialties IMO.

I want a life outside my career to pursue sideline interests. There's more to life than just medicine...to me

In the really bad neighborhood bars you can probably swing this on your residents salary. Dream higher.

Just a lurker who occasionally reads in this website...but by far, this is the most optimistic thing you ever said. :cool: