Which MCAT Prep books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbers22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...I have a question for all of you who have taken the MCAT before. (I took the August MCAT and prepared using Kaplan). My scores were not great, so I will be taking the test again, and I am not going to do Kaplan.
My question is what were some of the prep books that you used that you found to be useful, and which ones did you think were not that great?
Thanks in advance for all advice given.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a clue as to what your weaknesses are, but I would use the Kaplan material that you have and purchase the aamc practice tests.

Your problem could have been anything from anxiety, too much time on questions when you don't have an answer, not being as "sharp" on the content as possible ect...

Being that you have taken the test before, think about what your weaknesses and problem areas are, and focus on that. Taking numerous practice tests only works after you have a firm grasp on the material.

My opinion:

The MCAT is the most important test that you have ever taken at this point. Realize that w/o a good score that your life's dream will slip through your fingers, but with a few months of intense studying, you can get the score needed to get in med school. Anyone of average intellegence, (no mental handicaps), can accomplish anything they set their heart to do. I am no smarter than the next guy, but it would take several 55 gallon drums to hold the desire that dwells in my bones. I haven't been accepted yet, but I will not rest until I get in med school and become a physician.

Set a goal, and then evaluate yourself weekly to see if your daily activities are taking you toward your goal. If they are not, change your routine!

Best of luck to you, and remember that if you want to be a doctor.......you can.

The one known as wooo is right on. You need desire and self-confidence if you ever hope to achieve your dreams.

You also need to improve your MCAT score by the sound of the original post. You need to purchase study materials which will help you on the MCAT. Personally, I used the Kaplan review books and practice exams and have nothing but good things to say about them. You obviously don't, but I still suggest giving Kaplan another shot or switching to TPR. Don't bother purchasing books by ARCO, Peterson's, Barron's, etc. or the "Brand X Ochem Problem Solver" type of thing in your college bookstore. I regret to say that I gave some of these disreputable companies my money, and found them all to be total crap, and without exception COMPLETELY dissimilar to the MCAT. Do realistic practice exams as much as possible, to practice your timing and decision-making skills. The MCAT has only so many different types of questions; become familiar with all of them. It is advisable to purchase AAMC's MCATs, which I didn't do because I'm lazy and the $50 or so was already earmarked for snowboarding equipment.

People may tell you to spend more time doing practice tests than reviewing, which is sound advice, but if you don't know the material you'll surely pay for it on the test day. If you decide to use a commercial review program like Kaplan, great, otherwise reread your college textbooks and notes or at very least buy a thorough subject review book. Take care to study what is actually represented on the MCAT. For example, the BS section is ~60% biology, and of that, it is mostly physiology. Save your time that you may have spent studying anatomy, for example, which requires only a modicum of familiarity (e.g. blood cell types, major organs, etc.). Last, but certainly not least, start preparing early. Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by The Cowboy (edited 01-12-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you wooo and the cowboy for your great advice. Since I had really just used Kaplan before, I didn't know much about the other books.

Can I ask you how much time did you spend each day studying? I know that I probably didn't spend as much time as I should have...so what do you suggest?

Thanks again for your advice...you had great advice!

there is a post called study time for mcat on this board. I have already posted my info there.

Good luck