Which MD schools are "good" to be waitlisted at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Basically, which schools traditionally have a relatively large amount of WL movement, possibly as early as February/March? I know there was a post like this a while back, but I can't seem to find it.

Members don't see this ad.

From what current students and admin have said, Pitt.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
state school
This is going to sound so stupid, but what exactly is a "state school"? Is it only the public school(s) in your state or does it include both public and private (i.e. no significant in-state preference)?

This is going to sound so stupid, but what exactly is a "state school"? Is it only the public school(s) in your state or does it include both public and private (i.e. no significant in-state preference)?
The public schools > the private ones. The taxpayers have an investment in you since they're supplementing part of your tuition. But still, in, say, NC, Wake probably also knows that you're more likely to attend if you're a Tarheel.

Reactions: 1 user
They favor the home team and people who live in-state are less likely to go further for the accept.
Ah...so a state school, where you have interviewed but are an OOS candidate, is not a high probability waitlist ?

Ah...so a state school, where you have interviewed but are an OOS candidate, is not a high probability waitlist ?
I doubt it. If one was a catch, the Accept would have been offered. The only caveat is if where the candidate lives is close by, even if over a state line. Example would be East TN/Quillan and applicants from western NC, or Va Tech and applicants from the Appalachian region (TN/KY/MD/ WV)

From what current students and admin have said, Pitt.
We'll see how this plays out with 900 interviews. It could very well fall below 40 into red post-II A territory to the levels of WashU. Contingent on their yield staying at <335 for 148 seats. If it goes to like ~400, then it would indicate they interviewed the same students attending other T20s and nothing changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would argue many of the T20s have large WL movement. I believe many range n the 30-50% from wait-list.

This year might be very different than other years as the PTE / CTE thingies unfold.

Not to hijack the thread, but is it safe to assume that waitlist movement will be greater this cycle due to COVID/online interviews? Currently on three WLs and hoping for good news at the end.

Not to hijack the thread, but is it safe to assume that waitlist movement will be greater this cycle due to COVID/online interviews? Currently on three WLs and hoping for good news at the end.
That is what I think

That is what I think
I agree with this. Apps are up this year, but people are applying to more schools this year as well --- think about it, wayyyy less expensive this year since it's all online. EXPECT big movement.

Reactions: 1 users
California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM)

Relatively new school that gets some pretty decent WL movement. Pretty heavy instate bias though, judging by the last class.

I would argue many of the T20s have large WL movement. I believe many range n the 30-50% from wait-list.
Where'd you get this information? I'd be interested in learning the numbers of some of the schools that I've been waitlisted at!