Which MD Schools Have the Hottest Girls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly everything that they say is "bad" about Alabama, I as well as many others would put in the "good" category. Clearly a left leaning northerner wrote this article.

Oh, that's right, its a Gawker article.

yo i just said my political beliefs dawg, for me personally this list is pretty damn accurate.

Members don't see this ad.

C'mon guys. California is the best state hands down. There is really no competition. It is the ONLY state that has everything. I've been to Texas and it's a barren wasteland. Let's not even talk about the "real" south.

C'mon guys. California is the best state hands down. There is really no competition. It is the ONLY state that has everything. I've been to Texas and it's a barren wasteland. Let's not even talk about the "real" south.

Southern CA is the best. but I'll admit I've seen plenty in NYC and many from the South as well

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yo i just said my political beliefs dawg, for me personally this list is pretty damn accurate.

And I was just pointing out that everyone has a different perspective. I'm not passing judgement on your or anyone else's perspective, just that everyone has a different perspective.

And I was just pointing out that everyone has a different perspective. I'm not passing judgement on your or anyone else's perspective, just that everyone has a different perspective.

aight i'm cool with that.
as long as no one is trying to get me to believe in the jebus or tellin me i'm going to hell I'm not particularly bothered by other people beliefs

Reactions: 1 user
Hell sounds more exciting compared to Heaven. At least there will be lots of interesting people!

Hell sounds more exciting compared to Heaven. At least there will be lots of interesting people!

I mean all my friends will be there...

notsrs cuz i don't think hell exists

AJ McCarron's girlfriend (Katherine Webb) is from Alabama. Is she a good representative of the females in the state?

I know that these threads are started as jokes (and this one has deteriorated into a far more entertaining regional pissing contest - I'm partial to the Rockies, personally), but I get really tired of the "hot women" discussions among pre-meds.

These conversations inevitably involve some jerkwad implying that the most important thing about a woman is her appearance, or that intelligence and attractiveness are mutually exclusive, or that relationships predicated on socioeconomic power imbalances are the best sort (what, male doctors should only date nurses? Is it 1950 or something?).

You think this stuff doesn't matter? My campus's chapter of AMSA hosted two physicians from the area tonight who spoke with us about their careers and perspectives on medicine. Both were family practitioners of about the same age, with equal levels of experience. And you know who did all of the talking? The man. You know who got interrupted all the damn time? The woman. Sexism is alive and well, and these joke threads are only funny if they come around once a year, not once a month. It sucks to be a woman and see this stuff pop up every d*** week.

I know that these threads are started as jokes (and this one has deteriorated into a far more entertaining regional pissing contest - I'm partial to the Rockies, personally), but I get really tired of the "hot women" discussions among pre-meds.

These conversations inevitably involve some jerkwad implying that the most important thing about a woman is her appearance, or that intelligence and attractiveness are mutually exclusive, or that relationships predicated on socioeconomic power imbalances are the best sort (what, male doctors should only date nurses? Is it 1950 or something?).

You think this stuff doesn't matter? My campus's chapter of AMSA hosted two physicians from the area tonight who spoke with us about their careers and perspectives on medicine. Both were family practitioners of about the same age, with equal levels of experience. And you know who did all of the talking? The man. You know who got interrupted all the damn time? The woman. Sexism is alive and well, and these joke threads are only funny if they come around once a year, not once a month. It sucks to be a woman and see this stuff pop up every d*** week.

+10000000

Yes yes yes yes

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

These conversations inevitably involve some jerkwad implying that the most important thing about a woman is her appearance, or that intelligence and attractiveness are mutually exclusive, or that relationships predicated on socioeconomic power imbalances are the best sort
This is almost always 100% sarcastic.
Both were family practitioners of about the same age, with equal levels of experience. And you know who did all of the talking? The man. You know who got interrupted all the damn time? The woman. Sexism is alive and well,
Are you sure it wasn't just a difference in personality type? Maybe the man was extremely type A and the woman was type B? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but this doesn't seem to scream "sexism." What if there were two men and one was continuously interupted? What if the roles were switched? I've worked with plenty of type A female physicians who probably would have done the interrupting in this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you sure it wasn't just a difference in personality type? Maybe the man was extremely type A and the woman was type B? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but this doesn't seem to scream "sexism." What if there were two men and one was continuously interupted? What if the roles were switched? I've worked with plenty of type A female physicians who probably would have done the interrupting in this situation.

I took and gender and language course. Women are more likely to be interupted (by men and women). Men are typically interupted by other men but are rarely interupted by women
Its a really common phenoma in linguistics. And you are correct personality does play a role in individuals speech patterns (I personally have a very masculine style of speech, just because of the kind of culture I grew up in) but in general women are interupted more than men because of gendered expectations and the ways in which most children are socialized, so yes it does very much point towards sexism.

Last edited:
I took and gender and language course. Women are more likely to be interupted (by men and women). Men are typically interupted by other men but are rarely interupted by women

Even if that were universally true, should it be automatically associated with sexism?

Couldn't this tend to be because men tend to speak more concisely and stop when appropriate, therefore they don't need to be interrupted as often? I mean, I'm sure women only get interrupted so much because they just never seem to stop. :smuggrin:

NOTSRS

Couldn't this tend to be because men tend to speak more concisely and stop when appropriate, therefore they don't need to be interrupted as often? I mean, I'm sure women only get interrupted so much because they just never seem to stop. :smuggrin:

NOTSRS

Also men tend to talk more in general than women in mixed company. In classroom settings boys and men are more likely to speak up and answer questions, even if they don't know the answers. They are also significantly more likely to give bogus answers that are completely unrelated to what is being talked about. Girls and women tend to contribute significantly less to classroom discussions when men/boys are present

Also men tend to talk more in general than women in mixed company. In classroom settings boys and men are more likely to speak up and answer questions, even if they don't know the answers. They are also significantly more likely to give bogus answers that are completely unrelated to what is being talked about. Girls and women tend to contribute significantly less to classroom discussions when men/boys are present

This is a pretty gargantuan generalization, and one that deviates significantly from my experiences.

Originally Posted by touchpause13

This is a pretty gargantuan generalization, and one that deviates significantly from my experiences.

Ill go find my textbook if you want sources, I'm just not home right now. And it does fit very accuratly with my own life experience

Ill go find my textbook if you want sources, I'm just not home right now. And it does fit very accuratly with my own life experience

Agree to disagree. I would be very interested in seeing the source though. If you can post it later that'd be cool.

That's nice. I might even laugh if these threads came up once every six months. But the jokes moved from mildly funny ---> tiring ---> really friggin offensive since this forum has decided to have these threads once a week, practically.

Well, we all know the plural of anecdote isn't data. But I was watching this conversation, and the female physician often had her mouth open and would try to jump into the conversation, and the male physician had no sense of sharing his time. You can say this is just based on personality type, but any feminist would counter that for many people, their public personae are predicated on the gender roles which they have been stuck into.

For some reason (lol) touchpause and I almost always end up tagteaming when these conversations come around, but I will second her statement that much research has been done on the speaking patterns of mixed-gender groups, and that men speak more than women, and my favorite -- that men in mixed groups where participation is equally divided by gender will perceive women to be far more talkative than men.

That's nice. I might even laugh if these threads came up once every six months. But the jokes moved from mildly funny ---> tiring ---> really friggin offensive since this forum has decided to have these threads once a week, practically.

Well, we all know the plural of anecdote isn't data. But I was watching this conversation, and the female physician often had her mouth open and would try to jump into the conversation, and the male physician had no sense of sharing his time. You can say this is just based on personality type, but any feminist would counter that for many people, their public personae are predicated on the gender roles which they have been stuck into.

For some reason (lol) touchpause and I almost always end up tagteaming when these conversations come around, but I will second her statement that much research has been done on the speaking patterns of mixed-gender groups, and that men speak more than women, and my favorite -- that men in mixed groups where participation is equally divided by gender will perceive women to be far more talkative than men.

Can you provide links to the research? I'm curious if it applies at all to academia. I have never once observed something I perceived to be sexist in school or at work (I work at a big medical school, where there is roughly an even distribution of male and female physicians). Sexism may still exist in some fields, but it doesn't seem to be prominent in medicine.

Can you provide links to the research? I'm curious if it applies at all to academia. I have never once observed something I perceived to be sexist in school or at work (I work at a big medical school, where there is roughly an even distribution of male and female physicians). Sexism may still exist in some fields, but it doesn't seem to be prominent in medicine.

I will find some stuff later tonight, but I have a feeling you aren't paying enough attention if you think sexism isn't prominent in medicine

I will find some stuff later tonight, but I have a feeling you aren't paying enough attention if you think sexism isn't prominent in medicine

It may be present, but I haven't observed it to be prominent. You could very well be right, but I have a hard time believing it considering how many female physicians I work with.

And thanks in advance for posting the sources later :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Scumbag touchpause. Tells people not to generalize about women or LGBT. Generalizes about men.

:flame:

Really? The only "generalization" I gave was that WOMEN tend to not interrupt men. Dat reading comprehension.

I still think quantifying interruption tendencies is a terrible metric for gauging sexism.

I mean its certainly not the end all be all of determining sexism but maenards specifically brought up interuptions which is why I told you what I know about it.

How come no ones mentioned Florida? ;)

I once wrote a satirical persuasive essay arguing about what the "real" south was. One of my key arguments was that at some point in history, Florida was actually part of New York and attached near miami with manhattan and st. augustine with long island. Then, as new york flourished and prospered, they realized they didn't like the people that lived on florida, and banished them. At that point, florida physically detached itself from New York, and floated down past Georgia, and was allowed to reattach itself to the continent south of the okefenokee swamp because nobody cared about that part anyways. And thats how we got florida, a state that's not southern, not claimed by the north, yet filled with retiree's and northern transplants.

My paper was worded my better, but you get the point.

I got an A+ on that paper btw. (trash talking florida and everything not in the south = good grades in Georgia schools)

ok most of the information I listed in previous comments came from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Gend...362627635&sr=8-1&keywords=language+and+gender

some quotes:
"In 1975 Marjorie Swacker did an experimental study in which men and women were given a line drawing of a room to examine, and were then asked to describe the picture from memory...men talked overwhelming longer than women, on occasion having to be stopped by the experimenter as the tape ran out." (115)

"Deborah James and Janice Drakich (1993) found that out of 56 studies of adult mixed-gender interactions, 34 (61%) showed meales talking more than females overall, while only 2 studies showed females talking more overal. The remaining 20 studies showed either no gender differences (16) or sometimes males and sometimes females talking more (4)." (115)

"Joan Swann and David Graddol (1988) examined videotape of an extended discussion in two elementary school classrooms. In both cases, they found boys speaking almost twice as much as girls--in both number of turns and total number of words." (117)

More research I found:
Research found that men talk more often (Eakins and Eakins): men's turns 10.66 secs, women's 3-10
secs at faculty meetings.
At academic confernces (Swacker): women 40.7% of the presentations, 40% of audience. But only 27.2% asked questions.

"It's well documented that women tend to be interrupted more than men, and that women who interrupt others are seen more negatively than men who do" .-Deborah Tannen is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown and a 2012-13 fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford.

ok most of the information I listed in previous comments came from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Gend...362627635&sr=8-1&keywords=language+and+gender

some quotes:
"In 1975 Marjorie Swacker did an experimental study in which men and women were given a line drawing of a room to examine, and were then asked to describe the picture from memory...men talked overwhelming longer than women, on occasion having to be stopped by the experimenter as the tape ran out." (115)

"Deborah James and Janice Drakich (1993) found that out of 56 studies of adult mixed-gender interactions, 34 (61%) showed meales talking more than females overall, while only 2 studies showed females talking more overal. The remaining 20 studies showed either no gender differences (16) or sometimes males and sometimes females talking more (4)." (115)

"Joan Swann and David Graddol (1988) examined videotape of an extended discussion in two elementary school classrooms. In both cases, they found boys speaking almost twice as much as girls--in both number of turns and total number of words." (117)

More research I found:
Research found that men talk more often (Eakins and Eakins): men's turns 10.66 secs, women's 3-10
At academic confernces (Swacker): women 40.7% of the presentations, 40% of audience. But only 27.2% asked questions.

"It's well documented that women tend to be interrupted more than men, and that women who interrupt others are seen more negatively than men who do" .-Deborah Tannen is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown and a 2012-13 fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford.

When did a thread about hot girls turn into this? Jeebus...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I don't think its sexism necessarily. It's hormonal. Testosterone is the aggression and confidence hormone, guess who has more of it?

I don't think its sexism necessarily. It's hormonal. Testosterone is the aggression and confidence hormone, guess who has more of it?

S7dwDus.gif

Thanks for coming back and posting this :)
some quotes:
This is almost 40 years old...
All of the studies in this meta analysis are more than 20 years old.
More research I found:
Research found that men talk more often (Eakins and Eakins): men’s turns 10.66 secs, women’s 3-10
This suggests that males tend to speak more than females... I fail to see a connection between these sort of innate tendencies and sexism. Perhaps you could elaborate?
"It’s well documented that women tend to be interrupted more than men, and that women who interrupt others are seen more negatively than men who do" .-Deborah Tannen is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown and a 2012-13 fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford.
This may be true, but generalizations this broad are problematic. The women are seen more negatively by who? How much more negatively? In what context? Are the ways in which men and women interrupt the same, or is there a difference in the way that they tend to interrupt others?

cm-26626-0507dee68a90fe.gif

You tell people to stop generalizing about men yet you then make the generalizations that men are more likely to give "bogus answers" and speak up when they don't know the answers? Sounds like something a typical stupid girl would say. Maybe you should be quiet, the men are talking now...

Status
Not open for further replies.