Which MD schools throw out apps with Verbal section under 8?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reidmike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which of these schools automatically will screen out an application with a sub-8 subsection (in my case a 7 on Verbal)? P.S. English is my first language.

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Creighton
Drexel
Emory
Florida International
Florida State
George Washington
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Med College
NYU
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Central Florida
University of Florida
UNC
University of South Florida
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know which of these schools automatically will screen out an application with a sub-8 subsection (in my case a 7 on Verbal)? P.S. English is my first language.

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Creighton
Drexel
Emory
Florida International
Florida State
George Washington
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Med College
NYU
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Florida
UNC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
West Virginia

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing you get screened at Wake and Vandy. Could be wrong though...

I think all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing you get screened at Wake and Vandy. Could be wrong though...
wake yes, vandy no [for being screened due to the 7].

im basing this off of an sdner who got a semi-rude letter from wake due to a 7 in verbal.. that individual also got into vandy on a full-tuition scholarship (i believe)

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Boston University
Creighton
Drexel
Emory
Florida International
Florida State
George Washington
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin
Michigan State
New York Med College
NYU
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Florida
UNC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Use the MSAR, it displays the 10th and 90th percentile MCAT subsection score. If the 10th percentile of Verbal section for a medical school is greater than 8, the school will probably screen out your score.

If you have a 7 on any section of the MCAT, I think you should retake it. The common wisdom is that the minimum score for any subsection for the MCAT is 8 for MD schools and 6 for DO schools.

I was surprised to get through the initial screening. The person I talked to in the admissions office at Wake Forest said that only 1/3 get secondaries. At this point I need all of the positive reinforcement I can get. I was just rejected at BU today, so I am ready for more rejections to come. I think my GPA might help though...hopefully.

you'd be lucky to get into MD school with a 7 in any section.