SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Which med schools don't take reapplicants?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KnowledgeOfSelf, Apr 8, 2007.

1. KnowledgeOfSelf

KnowledgeOfSelf 5+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2006
    I've never actually heard of any, but if you have please let me know. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    I doubt any school has a blanket prohibition against them. Most will require that a reapplicant's application demonstrate substantial improvement, which may set the hurdle higher though.

4. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    Some schools do restrict the number of times you can apply, but I don't think there are very many (the only specific school to come to mind is Harvard, which only lets you apply twice). I imagine that info is readily available on each school's admissions websites.

5. BahamaMama

BahamaMama

Mar 27, 2007
    Einstein will only allow you to apply twice (second time must show substantial improvement)

6. etf

etf Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2005
    so what exactly is considered "substantial improvement?"

7. BahamaMama

BahamaMama

Mar 27, 2007
    For instance, applicants are discouraged from making reapplication unless their application is substantively improved.

Third time applicants (applicants who have COMPLETED two prior applications) will not be considered under any circumstance.
    Applicants whose undergraduate record is weak might consider taking advanced level course work in the basic sciences. Applicants whose MCATS are weak should retake them after significant preparation.

Unless the applicant is planning a career in public health, or for other reasons decides to pursue an advanced degree in public health, such a degree will not overcome a weak basic science background.
    Several colleges and universities offer programs to applicants who require more skill in the basic sciences: http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

8. maestro1625

maestro1625 10+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Loyola has the same policy.

9. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

I don't know if it was a formal policy or not... but after I was rejected by the University of Rochester the first time (pre-interview), I asked them what I could do to improve my application and if I should apply again. This is an except from their response:

So, it is worth contacting the schools b/c sometimes if you didn't clear that hurdle because of something specific in round 1... no amount of improvement is going to let you clear it in round 2+.

Now very few schools are going to be as open as UofR was (I did appreciate them saving me the $130 in re-app fees).

10. day

day Finally... 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    NYU

They donot consider any applicants who's reapplying.

11. foofish

foofish 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2006
    SDN
    That's true, so it's best to research--I'm sure all of these schools will be happy to accept your primary and secondary fees before telling you that you aren't eligible to apply.

12. Surf Rx

Surf Rx 7+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Anyone know if this information would be in the MSAR?

13. carlyMD

carlyMD 2+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2008
    MDApps:
    How do you know this? I applied to NYU two years ago, now my app is very different. Should I not apply again?

14. DocSoMa

DocSoMa 2+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Why don't you guys call some schools and ask them directly?

15. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy" 5+ Year Member

May 23, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    MDApps:
    Since when have schools been known to give direct answers about their application policies other than what's on their carefully checked websites?

16. ejay286

ejay286 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    What is this from?

EDIT: Nevermind didnt see the title.

17. Margaux1985

Margaux1985 0k member 2+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2008
    The great plains of NYC
    A lot of schools are ho-hum about this. Unless you specifically check the box that says you've applied before or mention it in your personal statement, it's hard for them to verify. Besides that, schools might be flexible depending on what you've done since being rejected. Winning a nobel prize, going on American Idol, or having your famly secure a $100 million grant for their new medical wing might put your application in a unique new light.

I have to agree with the previous poster about not turning around and applying right away without any substantial (GPA/MCAT/EC) improvement, especially if you were rejected outright by every school that you applied to this season. If you were rejected by every school despite having applied broadly, there must be something fundamentally flawed with your application. Talk to you premed advisor, the medical school that rejected you, or even describe your situation on SDN if you have no other resources to get a better understanding on where you went wrong.

18. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy 2+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Its interesting that some put a limit on the number you can apply to...with many of the secondaries costing over $100 I thought they were all about the money.

19. decafplease

decafplease Medical Student 5+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Does any of this stuff apply to people who have applied to a handful of schools the first time and are reapplying broadly (so first time applicants to certain schools in the second or third cycle)?

20. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous 7+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2003
    San Diego
    Substantial improvement basically comes down to a significantly higher MCAT score (5+ point increase such as from 30 to 35.) You can't really increase your GPA that much and unless your new extracirricular activity involves curing cancer, most programs don't care about EC's no matter how cool they seem to you.

21. Character

Character 5+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2008
    really?

22. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    It's exactly what it sounds like. It means your application looks better than it did the last time you applied.

Schools are wise to specifically state this and even if a school doesn't specifically state it, you should assume this to be true.

If you didn't get in last year and you apply with the same application, your odds of getting in this year are not good. Your app isn't like a wine that just magically gets better with age.

Day's comment about NYU is... interesting. I'd verify with them if this is correct. I've never heard of a school that flat out doesn't take reapplicants. Post this question in the Reapplicants forum if you're really curious.

23. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California Moderator 10+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Untrue. Where are you getting this from? And why do folks on SDN have this drive to turn something subjective into something objective all the time? If you had a 30 on your MCAT, odds are you weren't rejected because of it. Even if you were, you don't need to bump your score up to one that is above the average of all but a tiny handful of medical schools. That's silly.
    You can't undo a GPA, but you can raise it up enough to get you into medical school if that's what's holding you back. It's a matter of hard work and a lot of time, but folks do it every year. You can raise a 3.3 to a 3.53 with two years of a postbac. It's rough, but it's doable and it's two years well spent if it gets you into med school.
    Also untrue. Aside from raw stats, one thing that kills apps dead is a lack of clinical experience. You can definitely remedy that to make you more attractive to medical schools.

If folks are either reapplying or think that they will, I'd recommend checking out the Reapplicants forum. On Pre-Allo, reapplying is a false boogeyman, like community college or going to a state school. You'll get more actual advice on Reapplicants.