which med schools have >20% student body from 1 ugrad school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if some med schools clearly favor students from particular ugrad institutions, and more importantly how many of those students from the same ugrad school end up matriculating. I'll chime in my observations:

BTW - let's not consider state schools accepting students from in-state ugrad schools. Also, I'm not as concerned about private schools accepting a lot from its own ugrad school.

Yale Med - 17 out of 100 matriculated students came from Harvard & Yale last yr.

Hopkins - accepted 24 from Hopkins ugrad, 10 matriculated

UCSD - accepted 26 from Harvard

Columbia - i HEARD they accept a lot of Harvard students

Any others? IMHO it'd be kinda weird to go to a school (for example, UCSD) w/ a class size of ~150 and see ~20 kids from one school (harvard).

Members don't see this ad.

just wanted to add that not only is harvard big at ucsf, but that they accept 20-30 students every year from berkeley and stanford each as well.

the other 4 uc's do the same thing for their own undergrad institutions and other schools around the state

Brown Medical School accepts more than 2/3 from Brown undergrad. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Legi:
•Brown Medical School accepts more than 2/3 from Brown undergrad. :D •••••But that's sort of a special case, isn't it? Isn't the only way to get to Brown by doing the combined Brown BS/MD program, or the Dartmouth/Brown program.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Wahoo:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Legi:
•Brown Medical School accepts more than 2/3 from Brown undergrad. :D •••••But that's sort of a special case, isn't it? Isn't the only way to get to Brown by doing the combined Brown BS/MD program, or the Dartmouth/Brown program.•••••Brown accepts one or two Brown students who are not in PLME program if space available.
Also, MD/PhD program

supposedly columbia takes around 10-20 some odd kids from its own undergrad, but most opt not to go. keep in mind that EVERY ugrad premed at a school applies to its med school and that skews the stats a little.

I don't have the stats, but I'm confident that Michigan's class is composed of at least 20% Michigan graduates. (Actually, 30% seems more reasonable.) This isn't surprising since the school takes 50% in-state students and Michigan is considered by most to be the best university in the state.

Yale med is actually composed of 34 people from Harvard and Yale--17 Harvard and 17 Yale!!!

That's waaaaayyyy too many people from only 2 schools!

mma

rumor has it that HMS accepts quite a few MIT students (like, around 15 or so each year)? but that's just a rumor...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mma:
•Yale med is actually composed of 34 people from Harvard and Yale--17 Harvard and 17 Yale!!!

That's waaaaayyyy too many people from only 2 schools!

mma•••••I think that's closed minded. I'm glad I cancelled my Yale interview. 34 students from 2 schools? Heck NO! Incest at it's best. Freaking snobs :D

I cancelled my Columbia interview as well. That Ivy stuff is bull****. The ONLY justifiable reason to attend is for the name rec and connections.

So why did you bother wasting your time and money on those two schools??

Holy Balls Original, that was some good sarcasm. Apparently some (i.e. Daredevil) are having a hard time with it being that thick. But, thick is always good. :wink:

What happened was both those schools offered me regular MD interviews and rejected me MD/PhD; and had been accepted elsewhere MD/PhD. I got spoiled due to the all expense paid MD/PhD interviews. I figured that if I wouldn't attend if accepted, why go to the interviews. I don't think I wasted money applying though. I admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this whole process. I'm nothing but an infidel peasant. Screw the aristocracy!

Daredevil,

Most of us would love to have the chance to go to school at Yale, which is why we spent our money to apply there!

I was EXTREMELY disappointed that the ratio of Harvard-Yale kids to non-H-Y kids was so high...I went to Harvard undergrad and I am looking for a more educationally diverse student body. Educational diversity, as all other kinds of diversity, would make for a more intellectual fulfilling experience in my opinion. I have nothing against Ivy kids going to med school (obviously, as I am going to go to med school) and I really have nothing against Ivy med schools accepting Ivy kids, but I do think the schools should branch out a little more... Shake things up. Make it interesting. :wink:

That said, I still like Yale. It's a great school, despite the fact that 34% of each class is from Harvard and Yale. (Princeton comes in at about 6-8%, by the way. And they're pissed.)

mma

mma,

Would you choose Yale over Baylor?

There is NO CHANCE that I would choose Yale over Baylor! :D

mma