• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Which med schools have intramural sports?

KatsuCurry

2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
USA
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm wondering if most med schools have intramural sports? I enjoy playing soccer and would love to play some low-intensity intramural soccer as I did in college. Despite med school classes being so much smaller, do intramural sports exist? Which schools have intramural sports?

lumya

Indoor Cat
2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I'm not sure this is applicable to all schools, but I would assume those on the same campus as their undergrad institution would. When my friends played intramural softball there were grad students on other teams. There's also local leagues not tied to an organization you could look into wherever you get in.

HouseJC

If nobody hates you, you're doing something wrong
2+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2019
New Orleans
  1. Medical Student
I'm in process of pre-writing secondaries and all the schools I've seen (high, mid, low tier) have either intramural sports or student organizations that are based on sports. Just do a quick search for the school's student organizations.

About the Ads

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
I'm wondering if most med schools have intramural sports? I enjoy playing soccer and would love to play some low-intensity intramural soccer as I did in college. Despite med school classes being so much smaller, do intramural sports exist? Which schools have intramural sports?

They did at most of the schools I interviewed at. At South Florida they had almost any sport one could imagine and while we took our share of beatings to knees much younger than ours, it was a great time. At schools you're interested in, see if you can find someone online who is a current student answering questions can tell you a little bit about what the atmosphere is like for that.

David D MD, MCAT and USMLE Tutor
Med School Tutors

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Mine does! Our wily old Admissions dean loves it when we beat the state MD school. That's all I can say, lest I out myself.

Reactions: 1 users

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
At our school we can play in the undergrad IM leagues. I've played IM soccer (also a lot of people play pickup games outside of that), I think there are sometimes IM teams for other sports as well. We also have a big competition with the Law school every year that includes most sports (and gets very very competitive).

jhmmd

supernatural
Apr 28, 2020
desert highway
I wouldn't prioritize this, OP. You can probably find a local league where you can play soccer, but you will need to devote a significant portion of your time to studying so soccer may need to be on the back burner while you are in med school and residency

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
I wouldn't prioritize this, OP. You can probably find a local league where you can play soccer, but you will need to devote a significant portion of your time to studying so soccer may need to be on the back burner while you are in med school and residency

strong strong strong disagree.

I would be doing so much worse in med school without personal activities and outlets. Soccer has been one of those for me. IM soccer typically isn't high stress or time commitment - we just had one or two games per week, you can definitely spare those few hours. Even the local leagues I played in during my gap years would probably have been very manageable (though it is nice playing with other students because they totally get it when you need to take a game or two off for school/studying reasons). I wouldn't join like, a varsity or club team, but IM or rec league or pickup games are absolutely doable (and I even encourage it!)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.