Which medical field are you pursuing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

For everyone applying for 2003, which spocialty are you pursuing? I know that most DO's enter family practice and I am definitely interested in that area, but I'm also interested in Dermatology. I live in an area that has very few dermatologists (it takes roughly three months just to get an appointment). How tough is it to specialize for a DO?

Have you guys given any thought to whether you will join a group of physicians or establish your own practice?

Members don't see this ad.

After getting my Aug MCAT score I'm wishfully thinking, but I have been looking at Ophthalmology. My dad is an OD so it would be a good addition to his practice for me to take that route. I too thought of dermatology, but then I looked a derm medical text. Those were the most horrific pics I have ever seen. I have observed surgery before and that was nothing compared to the pics I saw. NASTY!!!
:eek:

I really like radiology and the primary care specialties (FP, IM, Peds). Emergency medicine is also up there. Is it any coincidence that those specialties are the ones have the most experience in? Hmm... I guess I won't really know until later. In terms of future practice, I don't think I would want to start my own practice fresh out of residency. However, I would really like it if I could also be involved in teaching med students and/or residents.