Which medical is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrtsurgeon2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know which school you think is a better option. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences is a U.S.school but St. George's in carribean is a better school, but I would still be considered a foreign graduate. Please share your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

um...the military school is clearly a better school. You just have to want to serve in the military.

If you actually want to be a heart surgeon, not even THINK about a carribean school. It'll be extremely hard to work your way up. Go to the military school if you can get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to USUHS if you got in. Getting a surgery residency is very difficult and there are many US medical school graduates who will be competing with you for the same spot. Besides, USUHS is an excellent school. You will get a good clinical training. Also, it is free. So when you graduate and make tons of money as a surgeon, that's all yours (not that $ makes any difference ;)). Anyways, good luck. I will be rooting for you. I have a question though, why do you want to be a surgeon out of all the specialties. I am as dedicated as you are about becoming a surgeon and I always get shot down by people who says things like, "Oh, you are in it for the money." or "How do you know that surgery is right for you without having gone through medical school?" I just wanted to know what your motivations are. :)

I get that same response a lot about the money. But then I tell them about the desire to work with my hands and how I've enjoyed lab experineces I've had using my hands (even like a surgeon this summer, disecting pig's eyes) and then relate that to my enamoration with arts and crafts/craftsman style architecture and building stuff. It's a little long winded but it answers the question well

Why don't u go to a dental school then? Orthodontists make as much money as some surgeons. An orthodontist that I know make about $200,000 to a quarter million......