Mar 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
The deadline for holding on to just one med school acceptance is coming near, and I'm still torn between Case Western and Colorado School of Medicine. Right now, my primary interest in specialty is radiation oncology. Although I'm keeping an open mind, I think there's a good chance that I will end up applying to rad onc residency programs in the long run. My dilemma is deciding which of the two schools, Case Western or Colorado, will give me the best chance of landing a rad onc residency seat. They're both phenomenal schools, and both have excellent affiliated rad onc residency programs, so I'm having a hard time deciding which school would be best for my career goals. As an out-of-state applicant to Colorado I'll end up paying the same price at either school, and can also see my self being happy at either school. So does anyone here recommend one school over another? What other factors should I be looking at when making my choice?

Mar 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
The deadline for holding on to just one med school acceptance is coming near, and I'm still torn between Case Western and Colorado School of Medicine. Right now, my primary interest in specialty is radiation oncology. Although I'm keeping an open mind, I think there's a good chance that I will end up applying to rad onc residency programs in the long run. My dilemma is deciding which of the two schools, Case Western or Colorado, will give me the best chance of landing a rad onc residency seat. They're both phenomenal schools, and both have excellent affiliated rad onc residency programs, so I'm having a hard time deciding which school would be best for my career goals. As an out-of-state applicant to Colorado I'll end up paying the same price at either school, and can also see my self being happy at either school. So does anyone here recommend one school over another? What other factors should I be looking at when making my choice?

napoleondynamite

Keepin' it real yo
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My head says Case (solid Radonc program) but my heart says Colorado (dude - you're gonna actually live there..I mean, it's Colorado!)

About the Ads

avgn

Lv 30, HP 85
2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2015
Blackthorn City
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is like the only factor you should not be considering when picking schools. After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;) Look at location, price, go on second looks, that's it.

Reactions: 3 users

takeurmeds02

5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This is like the only factor you should not be considering when picking schools. After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;) Look at location, price, go on second looks, that's it.

You're such a hater lol

Reactions: 1 user

james11

5+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;)

Lmao savage. Be easy man.

Honestly @OP I feel like you could just as well match rad onc from either school. If I were you I'd basically pick based on location because Cleveland and Denver are way different and very far apart. If it were me I'd just do the one that's closer to home and in the region where I could see myself long term

studentdocftw

M4
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Both schools will give you the opportunity to match rad onc, but it's extremely competitive and the onus is on you to make it happen. Good luck!

Damn_Daniel

Third Rate Physician at Third Rate Academic Center
2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dirty South
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If skiing is important being in Aurora makes a huge difference. I'd go to Colorado and buy an epic pass

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
What do like better: paczki (go look it up) or steak?

FindMeOnTheLinks

7+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The one where you will be happier for 4 years of med school will give you the best chance

thecarbonionangle

5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Both schools have a solid home program. Choose your preference, based on location and price. If price is equivalent, I would go with Denver. It is such a cool city.

sirRad

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
With each school being equal, your total cost of attendance should drive your decision. Debt comes fast while salaries are slowly shrinking. I think case is more friendly with financial aid, have you received your financial aid package yet? Case is $57,475 per year, U of Colorado out of state is $61,634 per year. Ouch! If you had any other acceptances that were cheaper I'd look hard at those. You don't have to go to a top school for Rad Onc, just have to be motivated.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.