Which medical school for someone interested in radiation oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plannerboi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The deadline for holding on to just one med school acceptance is coming near, and I'm still torn between Case Western and Colorado School of Medicine. Right now, my primary interest in specialty is radiation oncology. Although I'm keeping an open mind, I think there's a good chance that I will end up applying to rad onc residency programs in the long run. My dilemma is deciding which of the two schools, Case Western or Colorado, will give me the best chance of landing a rad onc residency seat. They're both phenomenal schools, and both have excellent affiliated rad onc residency programs, so I'm having a hard time deciding which school would be best for my career goals. As an out-of-state applicant to Colorado I'll end up paying the same price at either school, and can also see my self being happy at either school. So does anyone here recommend one school over another? What other factors should I be looking at when making my choice?

Members don't see this ad.

The deadline for holding on to just one med school acceptance is coming near, and I'm still torn between Case Western and Colorado School of Medicine. Right now, my primary interest in specialty is radiation oncology. Although I'm keeping an open mind, I think there's a good chance that I will end up applying to rad onc residency programs in the long run. My dilemma is deciding which of the two schools, Case Western or Colorado, will give me the best chance of landing a rad onc residency seat. They're both phenomenal schools, and both have excellent affiliated rad onc residency programs, so I'm having a hard time deciding which school would be best for my career goals. As an out-of-state applicant to Colorado I'll end up paying the same price at either school, and can also see my self being happy at either school. So does anyone here recommend one school over another? What other factors should I be looking at when making my choice?

My head says Case (solid Radonc program) but my heart says Colorado (dude - you're gonna actually live there..I mean, it's Colorado!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely factor in you projected debt.

This is like the only factor you should not be considering when picking schools. After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;) Look at location, price, go on second looks, that's it.

Reactions: 3 users
This is like the only factor you should not be considering when picking schools. After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;) Look at location, price, go on second looks, that's it.

You're such a hater lol

Reactions: 1 user
Do you like skiing big mountains or small hills?

After Step 1 you likely won't be considering rad onc anymore ;)

Lmao savage. Be easy man.

Honestly @OP I feel like you could just as well match rad onc from either school. If I were you I'd basically pick based on location because Cleveland and Denver are way different and very far apart. If it were me I'd just do the one that's closer to home and in the region where I could see myself long term

Both schools will give you the opportunity to match rad onc, but it's extremely competitive and the onus is on you to make it happen. Good luck!

Personally, I'd choose Colorado. But that's probably because I'm a huge skier.

If skiing is important being in Aurora makes a huge difference. I'd go to Colorado and buy an epic pass

What do like better: paczki (go look it up) or steak?

Both schools have a solid home program. Choose your preference, based on location and price. If price is equivalent, I would go with Denver. It is such a cool city.

With each school being equal, your total cost of attendance should drive your decision. Debt comes fast while salaries are slowly shrinking. I think case is more friendly with financial aid, have you received your financial aid package yet? Case is $57,475 per year, U of Colorado out of state is $61,634 per year. Ouch! If you had any other acceptances that were cheaper I'd look hard at those. You don't have to go to a top school for Rad Onc, just have to be motivated.