Which medical school gets more of its graduates into UCSF for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ordinarygraces

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I am in the middle of deciding between Stanford and Harvard-
My long term goal is getting into UCSF for residency, maybe for radiation-oncology

I am leaning towards Stanford, after my less exciting second look weekend at Harvard.

But I have two major hang-ups about stanford.
1. stanford has no joint affiliation with a school of public health with strong international ties (it does have a informal thing with Berkeley, though)
2. my sister will be at stanford most likely, and it may prove to be an awkward thing in such a small class
Complicating the picture is that fact that I am not sure what I am giving up in Harvard (besides a yucky financial aid package from Harvard) ...

Thoughts? I am very torn

Members don't see this ad.

ordinarygraces said:
Hi-
My long term goal is getting into UCSF for residency, maybe for radiation-oncology

I am leaning towards Stanford, after my less exciting second look weekend at Harvard.

1. stanford has no joint affiliation with a school of public health with strong international ties (it does have a informal thing with Berkeley, though)
2. my sister will be at stanford most likely, and it may prove to be an awkward thing in such a small class
Complicating the picture is that fact that I am not sure what I am giving up in Harvard (besides a yucky financial aid package from Harvard) ...

Thoughts? I am very torn

Both you and your sister got into Stanford Med for next Fall? That's really amazing. I would stay local and go with Stanford if you want to end up at UCSF. That's a tough specialty, it will be up to you and how hard you work I think, not the school you choose. Stanford gives you lots of time for research which you'll probably have to do to get in.

Definately UCSF gets the most grads into UCSF residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, i remember meeting you at harvard's visiting weekend, too bad you missed out on friday night, it was so much fun!!! you missed the banquet and clubbing and all that when you left early, anyway, good luck on whatever you decide, but my vote is obviously to go to boston :)

ordinarygraces said:
Hi-

Thoughts? I am very torn

Hey what's up Ordinary Graces,
I didn't know you were on SDN as well. I sat right next to you during the preview weekend in the early morning session. BTW, I chose SMS over HMS and UCSF. I don't think one can really differentiate between these schools. Comes down to personal choice!! Your sister seems awesome....hmmm...maybe after undergrad. separation going to the same school as her won't be so bad :D

If you want to know about the placement of students into UCSF...just look at SMS and HMS match lists in the Allopathic forum. Hopkins wins hands down...hahahaha :laugh:

-Harps

Hey girlie,
It's the other glamour girl here. I completely understand your second apprehension, because I see how annoying it is to have to address the fact that someone mistook you for the other glamour girl every other second of the day. And if you don't get annoyed, I get annoyed for you... Maybe since the class size is so small, it'll only take everyone a week or so to get it all out of their systems and treat you as an individual. At the end of the day though, only you can decide if attending the same institution as her is something you can handle for that reason and other reasons, because most of us have absolutely no clue what it's like to be in your shoes.

As for the UCSF residency, that is a dream of mine as well. However, I'm not even willing to go to UCSF in an attempt to further that cause (which would be the best thing to do from a purely probabilistic p.o.v.), so I don't think you should let that be a deciding factor.

Ultimately, HMS and SMS will serve you equally well. But you must remember, you didn't have a good time at HMS. So this time, let the decision be about you and your happiness, everything else being equal.

Thanks guys.

I am still debating and finangling with HMS for more aid, so we will see how it goes ... harps and klooless, you guys were great, and perhaps (maybe! if i am lucky) I will either have classmates as cool as you guys or be in your class ...
thanks for your advice- let me know if i can return the favor :p

ordinarygraces,

how was your fin aid package with HMS? was it worse than SMS?
when did you get the letters?

thanks and good luck with your decision!!

ordinarygraces said:
Thanks guys.

I am still debating and finangling with HMS for more aid, so we will see how it goes ... harps and klooless, you guys were great, and perhaps (maybe! if i am lucky) I will either have classmates as cool as you guys or be in your class ...
thanks for your advice- let me know if i can return the favor :p

Okay, I go to neither one.... but I'm gonna vote for Stanford. The local connections, the fact that local people (and your local LOR writers) know each other, and the Stanford-UCSF partnerships. Gives you many more opportunities to get to know people nearby. More opportunities to do research and otherwise get to know people who are actually at UCSF. That can help get you a job.

What's so bad about the UCSF med school?