Which medical school is the least expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naturalremedy44

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical school is the least expensive?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard SIU was pretty inexpensive instate

Mayo is pretty cheap with their tuition and hands out loads of scholarships.

Mayo is pretty cheap with their tuition and hands out loads of scholarships.

:thumbup: $29,000 tuition, $25,000 scholarships to 10-11 students, $15,000 scholarships given to the rest of the class, and additional "happy patient" scholarships doled out as well.

I think Baylor is pretty reasonable too.

yeah, if you are an NC resident (Brody only accepts in-state res.) then it is one of the most inexpensive programs i have heard of

Members don't see this ad :)
Uniformed Services Academy is dirt cheap ;)

Haha! I hear the same thing! It costs like negative $50,000 a year to go there (meaning they pay you this much per year as active duty military- for all you slowpokes out there).

I hear HPSP is really cheap too.

Seriously though, if you're not into the military I hear almost everyone gets a scholarship at Mayo (getting in's a breeze too!). Your state school is a good option!

For the coming application season, UCF. They're covering the 4-year tuition for all 40 students in the inaugural class.

Any school in Texas with tuition & fees coming in around $10,000 or so.

Texas must be rubbing off on its little neighbor to the West. Both LSU-New Orleans and LSU-Shreveport come out to be a little less than $12,000 a year for in-state residents. For some reason the 2 schools are not on the USnews link posted a few posts ago.

I didn't know Canada had medical schools. And I don't think anyone would want to sacrifice the quality of education just to save a little bit of money. (+;

Any school in Texas with tuition & fees coming in around $10,000 or so.

similarly, hot dogs are cheaper than porterhouse steaks. it's all about supply and demand. texas tuition is cheap to provide an incentive for people to actually come live in texas (or north carolina, or louisiana). meanwhile any school in the university of california system could charge $200,000 a year in tuition, and the only thing that would change would be an increase in kidneys for sale on craigslist/ebay.

I didn't know Canada had medical schools. And I don't think anyone would want to sacrifice the quality of education just to save a little bit of money. (+;

gosh you're right. the quality of caribb schools is probably better than canada. what with most of canada still living in igloos and hunting caribou.

similarly, hot dogs are cheaper than porterhouse steaks. it's all about supply and demand. texas tuition is cheap to provide an incentive for people to actually come live in texas (or north carolina, or louisiana). meanwhile any school in the university of california system could charge $200,000 a year in tuition, and the only thing that would change would be an increase in kidneys for sale on craigslist/ebay.

Your argument doesn't make sense for many reasons, but one is that Texas mostly accepts instate, not to mention OOS tuition is at least double. So, I don't see how it's an incentive for people to move to Texas?

Gotta be SUNY Buffalo, my last stronghold. :)

Isn't it the UC system for people in California, and like somebody mentioned above, the UT system for people in Texas.

i don't buy that. there are enough texans that want to stay in texas (for a variety of reasons, not just money) and will gladly take the spots. we don't need to attract anyone else.

as someone else said, texas schools are required to take at least 90% texans.

you know how most people feel about NYC (i.e. they love it and think it's the center of the universe)? that's how a lot of texans feel about the republic.

i don't buy that. there are enough texans that want to stay in texas (for a variety of reasons, not just money) and will gladly take the spots. we don't need to attract anyone else.

as someone else said, texas schools are required to take at least 90% texans.

you know how most people feel about NYC (i.e. they love it and think it's the center of the universe)? that's how a lot of texans feel about the republic.

relax guys/gals - it was just a joke! :laugh:

ok, cause we can't have anyone talking smack about the republic! :D

Oh man, its true. One time I said NYC's population was more diverse than some of Texan cities. It redefined "ire" for me. :p

It seems med schools have somewhat similar tuition rates, but I'm more concerned about living expenses. I mean UCSF and UCSD might seem like a good deal until you try to find somewhere to live. So what are some good schools where living is relatively cheap?

Oh man, its true. One time I said NYC's population was more diverse than some of Texan cities. It redefined "ire" for me. :p

I remember that thread. It escalated rather quickly.

It seems med schools have somewhat similar tuition rates, but I'm more concerned about living expenses. I mean UCSF and UCSD might seem like a good deal until you try to find somewhere to live. So what are some good schools where living is relatively cheap?

SD is relatively cheap compared to SF. The spread in tuition is actually greater than that in room and board, especially considering IS versus OOS, and public versus private. I think the cost of living should be a minor factor in the decision process. At most the difference is $5-10k per year, which is a pittance compared to future salaries.

SD is relatively cheap compared to SF. The spread in tuition is actually greater than that in room and board, especially considering IS versus OOS, and public versus private. I think the cost of living should be a minor factor in the decision process. At most the difference is $5-10k per year, which is a pittance compared to future salaries.

I've lived both places, and I guess you're right. But at the same time, there are many, many places much cheaper than SD/SF, especially if you want to buy something (which I would).

Only queers and steers come from texas:D:p

Bring it, I dare you!!

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have anything against steers or queers. :rolleyes:

Only queers and steers come from texas:D:p

Bring it, I dare you!!

Even if I weren't from Texas, I'd find that comment pretty immature. What have those groups of people ever done to you? :rolleyes:

edited bc i realized the guy above me must be joking... unless he believes steers might actually do something back to amwatts, or anybody for that matter

Even if I weren't from Texas, I'd find that comment pretty immature. What have those groups of people ever done to you? :rolleyes:

The queers held down my grandmother while the steer raped her, and then they took turns. Bastards

I'm praying for UCF baby....no tuition to get people to go there. I'm kind of curious how the really competitive applicants will react. Will they go there because of that or stay with UF or whatever more competitive established school?

Canadian med schools are harder to get in than American schools. 3.8 gpa minimum to apply.