Which Medical Schools Give Preference to own undergrad.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Questi4110, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Questi4110

Questi4110 Junior Member

Which medical schools give preference to their own undergraduate pre-med students? (Example...dont think this is true: Harvard Medical School giving preference to Harvard's students over UPenn's students when deciding on who to accept to their medical school).

It is a pretty broad question but any replies would be much appreciated.

THANKS

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. J?

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have heard that UW-Madison has a proclivity for taking their own UG's. Just word of mouth, though.

4. Candide

Candide Junior Member

University of Miami undergrad admissions rep told me that they did, but I have heard otherwise from UM undergrads.

5. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27

Resident [Any Field]
    well, state schools will give preference to people from their state....who often go to college in that state. Hence why many people at UW-Madison's med school prolly went to UW-Madison for undergrad.

I wonder if this preference is stronger at the ivys.

6. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008

Medical Student
    >You'll be happy to note that of the 621 applicants from UCLA last year to US
    >medical schools, 308 were accepted, and 299 matriculated for 2001-02. 50%
    >is great for our large population.
    >
    >For UCLA Medical School, they received 525 applications from our students,
    >34 were accepted, and 24 matriculated. 24/121 are from UCLA, 20% of the
    >class. Still a very good rate. Our matriculation rate tends to fluctuate
    >between 20-40% of the starting class.
    >
    >Marci Matsu****a
    >Student Affairs Officer
    >Dept. of Physiological Science

7. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica

Attending Physician
    As a UM alumni, I can tell you that this is bull****.:D Even though I was among the fortunate ones to get in, many very highly qualified students from UM undergrad got rejected without even a secondary. UM medical school has many UM alumni as students because the vast majority got in through their 6 or 7 year program. Also, the rest of the UM alumni got into UM med school only after applying for a second time. Only a handful of us got accepted through the regular eight year program and straight from graduating college. It seems if you are doing the normal eight year program, and you are a UM student then it is very competitive to get into UM medical school.

8. mikegoal

mikegoal rebmeM

i know there are some schools that automaticly give interviews to students from thier undergrad

9. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major

What about the University of Florida???

10. CANES2006

CANES2006 Miami chica

Attending Physician
    Ask Papa about this one. He'll give it to you straight:UF doesn't give preference to UF undergrads!!!:D

11. Bonds756

Bonds756 6 time MVP

There are several schools that do at least interview everyone from their undergrad program. I think the most common thing for schools to do is accept the same percentage of students who went to their undergrad as those from other undergrad school. However, most students apply to the same school they went to as an undergrad so it seems like their is favortism when in reality their is not.

12. Questi4110

Questi4110 Junior Member

Thanks for the comments. Keep the schools coming. I am not really looking for southern or western schools...mainly eastern and mid-western. Does anybody know if penn state gives preference to their students?

THANKS A LOT

13. holla

holla Junior Member

the ivy leagues dont give any preference to student from their undergrads..i know this is a fact for cornell..im sure it's similar to the other ivy's

14. jot

jot

well cornell kids have a guarenteed interview at cornell med - that seems like a bit of a boost. h kids are preferred at h (look at class comp) but thats because they say their undergrads are the best. i know hopkins doesn't prefer their own. rochester doesn't not prefer their own, unless you consider those ba/md kids. but that wasn't the question. righto.

15. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

yeah, but ivies tend to favor ivies.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. holla

holla Junior Member

Jot i dont know where u get the idea that cornell students get a guaranteed interview..cause a lot of my friends applied there and 3.5 and better gpas, and mcats' above 30 and didnt get interviewed at all..so there are no guarantees..bottom line if you are top 10-15 med school you will take the best students from the country not just your school they tend to play less favorites..but it is true i believe with state schools and takin students from schools with in the state itself

18. Jot- kidding around.
    hahaha
    3.5, 30, 4-year varsity athlete
    no interview

19. kito

kito Big Evil

nyu reserves 10% of their class for violet undergrads.