Which medical schools highest MCAT section scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed8888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea which medical schools will take the highest sections scores you have earned and use them to form your composite score that they use for admissions purposes?

Ex. (PS/VR/BS)

Test 1: 10/9/8

Test 2: 9/10/9

Test 3: 9/9/10

Medical School X will end up using 10/10/10

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to check with individual schools.

You took the MCAT three times?

You would have to check with individual schools.

You took the MCAT three times?
Ha no, I took it once but am thinking about taking it again and I wanted to know if some schools do what I asked - I know some do - but I don't possibly know where to look to find them. Above was just an example. And yes, I could check with all the schools but I was asking in case someone already knows a few examples.

Members don't see this ad :)
GW is the only school that comes to mind that combines the best section scores, but applying to that school is such a crapshoot to begin with because pretty much every pre-med applies there.

Wow, I'm surprised any schools do this...

I think Tufts does, but I'm not positive.

GW is the only school that comes to mind that combines the best section scores, but applying to that school is such a crapshoot to begin with because pretty much every pre-med applies there.

Really? Why?

I have read on SDN that Boston U does this but I can't personally confirm

I have read on SDN that Boston U does this but I can't personally confirm

Regarding Boston University, here is what is said on their website:

They say this about early applicants:

While we do our best to give equal consideration to all applications that are completed prior to our published deadlines, we have a very large applicant pool and early applications may be more likely to receive a favorable review.

AMCAS will supply us with all MCAT scores you have taken. The Committee on Admissions will take into account the best from each section of your reported tests.

Note, this does not mean they superscore them IMO...

say you get a

11/8/13
10/12/11

They won't just mechanically assign you a 36...they'll go through and see that on your best day you got a max of 36 but at the same time they realize on your worst day you had a 29...so basically they will consider the fact that you are a 36 student only on your best day...

But say someone takes it once and gets:

11/12/13

I think that student IMO is at an advantage for the MCAT process.

tl;dr

they consider all your scores and look at highest from all sections but they still see your lower scores as well...those aren't just thrown out.

I interviewed at Tufts, and they see all the scores.
My interviewer (who happened to be the Dean of Admissions) even asked me about the jump in scores between my first and second MCAT.

Medical College of Wisconsin does this as well I believe.