Which Medical Schools Should I Apply To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mazheoa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been visiting SDN for a while. I have just received my MCAT score after taking it again, and I'm trying to apply to medical schools I have a chance at. I really don't want to lose money applying to medical schools that won't even look at my application.

*GPA: 3.74

*1st MCAT: 21Q (Long story)
2nd MCAT: 32Q

*Working as a pharmacy tech, tutored for 4 years, worked as a marine biology tech. Pretty much worked part-time since high school to help support myself.

*Shadowed 9 different types of doctors in college, loved it, planning to do some more (UW requires 40hrs. of shadowing experienced, not sure if I got that yet).

*Volunteered at hospital as Junior Auxiliary Volunteer in high school and as ER Volunteer in college.

*Food bank volunteer throughout college and through different organizations.

*Undergrad research experience working with Environmental Microbiology professor (nothing strictly medical since my university does not specialize in that area).

*Graduated with a BS in Biomedical Sciences and a BA in Spanish, but wanted to improve my medical school application (especially since I had to retake the MCAT).

*Planning on shadowing and volunteering some more for some padding (Project Uplift, etc.).

1. University of South Alabama College of Medicine
2. University of Alabama School of Medicine
3. University of Arizona College of Medicine
4. Florida State University COM
5. Medical College of Georgia
6. Layola University Stritch SOM
7. University of Illinois at Chicago COM
8. University of Kentucky COM
9. University of Louisville SOM
10. Boston University SOM
11. Tufts University SOM
12. University of Maryland SOM
13. Michigan State University (Allopathic)
14. Saint Louis University SOM
15. University of Missouri-Columbia SOM
16. Univ. of North Carolina SOM
17. University of Nebraska COM
18. University of New Mexico
19. Oregon Health and Science University
20. Penn State
21. University of South Carolina SOM
22. University of Washington SOM

*Do I have a shot at schools in Ohio, Texas, or California?

I know I might be overshooting or undershooting myself with these, so I'm trying to narrow down the list. I'm mainly interested in schools good in primary care. What other schools I didn't list might I want to look at?

Any suggestions? Experiences? Additions? Constructive suggestions PLEASE

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might get a copy of the MSAR so you know the number of OOSers schools accept and OOS selection criteria. Florida State, MCG, and New Mexico take virtually no nonresidents. Missouri will want evidence of state ties. UW gives strong preference to WWAMI states and MD/PhD OOSers.

Arizona recently decided to take up to 25% OOS, so it's OK to keep that one.

In Ohio, you might consider Toledo. No school in Texas takes more than 10% OOSers.

If you are determined to do primary care( really?) u need to include that in your application so u don't get screened out as OOS from OHSU and U of Washington.