Which medschool would you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engineerist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well the application season is starting soon and another Canadian is making a run for a US medschool. I was hoping I could get some advice about schools and my chances of acceptance from one of the many people on SDN that are obviously more in the know than me.

What I really don't know are details lik; what part of the application does each school weight most heavily in their decision.

About me

BSc. Mechanical Engineering + orgo+bio etc.
GPA 3.3
MCAT 30R
EC: Worked for a prosthetics company for university credit (4mnths), volunteered in hospital recovery unit (150hrs), worked in a hospital lab in Argentina doing research (3mnths) and I speak spanish.
4 letters of recommendation (2 profs+2 supervisors)

Schools I have chosen to apply to (based on who takes international apps and where I think I might get in)
NYU
Tulane University
University of Utah
Indiana University
Harvard<- Just for fun, one can always pray.
Michigan State University

Should I apply to more??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you should definitely apply to more. Your GPA is on the low side. Your mcat is average (hope it's a balanced MCAT too).

I'd say include these schools as well: Wayne State, Boston University, St. Louis University, George Washington, SUNY Upstate, NYMC, Albany.

Apply early, like in the J months. Which means in the next month or so.

With your numbers and considering you're a foreign applicant, you should be applying to at least 30 schools. I don't think 40 is out of the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the application season is starting soon and another Canadian is making a run for a US medschool. I was hoping I could get some advice about schools and my chances of acceptance from one of the many people on SDN that are obviously more in the know than me.

What I really don't know are details lik; what part of the application does each school weight most heavily in their decision.

About me

BSc. Mechanical Engineering + orgo+bio etc.
GPA 3.3
MCAT 30R
EC: Worked for a prosthetics company for university credit (4mnths), volunteered in hospital recovery unit (150hrs), worked in a hospital lab in Argentina doing research (3mnths) and I speak spanish.
4 letters of recommendation (2 profs+2 supervisors)

Schools I have chosen to apply to (based on who takes international apps and where I think I might get in)
NYU
Tulane University
University of Utah
Indiana University
Harvard<- Just for fun, one can always pray.
Michigan State University

Should I apply to more??
yeah, try drexel,jefferson,temple,vcu,evm,

Wayne state in detriot is very canadian friendly. Def include it on your list. But yea you have a low end GPA and an average MCAT so applying to schools in the top 50 only might not get you anywhere. You need to apply very broadly. 20 or more at least with 30 being a good number. Make sure you have plenty of mid and lower level schools on your list. Buy the MSAR book that amcas publishes.

I'm not a U.S perm. resident either and I'm applying to 35+ schools. You should really apply to 30+ schools as well IMO

Michigan State, Utah, and Tulane = very hard to get into as a non-perm. resident holder. Are you sure about those? I don't even have those 3 on my list b/c either they accept single digit numbers or simply don't even take a look at international applications.

Add Wayne State for sure though! They are VERY VERY friendly to Canadians.

yeah, apply to alot. suny's as well

You won't get into any of the schools you listed. Utah, IU and MSU are public so it's hard for OOS (let alone foreign) applicants to get in. Tulane gets tons of applications (though it may have dipped after Katrina) and Harvard and NYU are very selective.

It'll be tough to get into American schools. Not to get on a soapbox, but it's frustrating to see American schools take Canadian citizens when there are thousands of American citizens (whose families contribute to the US government) eager to attend American schools who are not given the opportunity to do so. Understandably, many of the Canadian applicants selected have good numbers, but it's not as if the American applicants who are rejected can't handle the work.

From what I know Canadian Medical schools hardly take any American applicants. There's no reason they should.

You could consider Osteopathic Schools, but they usually require a recommendation from an Osteopathic physician.

I'm not a U.S perm. resident either and I'm applying to 35+ schools. You should really apply to 30+ schools as well IMO

Michigan State, Utah, and Tulane = very hard to get into as a non-perm. resident holder. Are you sure about those? I don't even have those 3 on my list b/c either they accept single digit numbers or simply don't even take a look at international applications.

Add Wayne State for sure though! They are VERY VERY friendly to Canadians.

OP, I'm Canadian and I just want to say that I got an interview at MSU and ultimately waitlisted. So it is possible to get an interview from them. Not sure how likely they are to accept you post-interview though.