which medschools dont use affirmative action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sssddd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
please help with this, just name the ones off the top of your head if u can, dont need a whole list.

Members don't see this ad.

CA and MI public schools, supposedly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the same old crap again. ugh!

please help with this, just name the ones off the top of your head if u can, dont need a whole list.

You too, shut up.

just trying to increase my chances here, dont hate. This is not a debate thread.

not trolling, but i do want information for schools that dont do aa

Look in the MSAR for schools with averages that match up with your:

a. MCAT
b. GPA
c. Interests
d. Location

The first two being most important if you're trying to increase your chances. Otherwise, affirmative action affects MAYBE like 8 people in a school, with exception of Historically Black Colleges. Just don't bring it into your equation for considering schools. Really won't affect you that much.

Look in the MSAR for schools with averages that match up with your:

a. MCAT
b. GPA
c. Interests
d. Location

The first two being most important if you're trying to increase your chances. Otherwise, affirmative action affects MAYBE like 8 people in a school, with exception of Historically Black Colleges. Just don't bring it into your equation for considering schools. Really won't affect you that much.

Um, unless an entire medical school only has 8 URMs, I'd say more than 8 people are affected.

But it really doesn't matter b/c you can't do anything about it. You're who you are, so just apply and don't worry about anything else...

i believe university of michigan this year sent a letter saying they have abolished AA at their medical school, i don't know if any other medical school has come outright and said this like u of m...i am thinking all schools in michigan have taken out AA from the equation due to some bill...

Members don't see this ad :)
i believe university of michigan this year sent a letter saying they have abolished AA at their medical school, i don't know if any other medical school has come outright and said this like u of m...i am thinking all schools in michigan have taken out AA from the equation due to some bill...

I wonder how long before Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton arrive on the scene ...

All California schools and all Michigan schools (UMich, Wayne St., MSU) don't use affirmative action because it is against state law. If you aren't from MI or CA then it doesn't matter much to you, though.

so only residents in cali and michigan benefit?

so only residents in cali and michigan benefit?

By benefit, are you implying that affirmative action might hurt your chances of acceptance during the application cycle? I doubt that very much. If you really want to increase your chances of acceptance at medical schools in which you stand a chance, you will have good stats (MCAT and UGPA), interesting EC's (which include clinical experiences and community service, perhaps research), excellent LOR's, well-written essays, and a great interview.

Meharry, Mercer, Moorehouse?

By benefit, are you implying that affirmative action might hurt your chances of acceptance during the application cycle? I doubt that very much. If you really want to increase your chances of acceptance at medical schools in which you stand a chance, you will have good stats (MCAT and UGPA), interesting EC's (which include clinical experiences and community service, perhaps research), excellent LOR's, well-written essays, and a great interview.

Not everyone is/can be a perfect candidate. AA does hurt to a certain extent, but if you are a perfect candidate, it won't matter.

Hogwarts School of Medicine and Stewart University School of Medicine

They do not use affirmative action, but you need special abilities such as make money by using magic.

and to think sooner or later individual will be allowed to treat people... scary

this thread is egregious! it's preposterous it's ig-no-minious!

please tell me that is your real name and not a username you adopted to show your respect for the idiot who heads the Rainbow Coalition.

Um, unless an entire medical school only has 8 URMs, I'd say more than 8 people are affected.

So you're saying all minority students are admitted under affirmative action programs?

A related question: Do you get beat up a lot?

So you're saying all minority students are admitted under affirmative action programs?

A related question: Do you get beat up a lot?

Um, yeah. I am not saying their stats are sub-par, which seems to be what you think I'm saying. But if you check the box for URM, you're admitted under URM policies, whatever those are. Let me throw it right back at you: Are YOU saying that there are policies that say, "OK, if you're a URM with poor stats we have one set of admissions criteria. If you're a URM with stellar stats we have another set of criteria." I know you're not saying that, but it sort of sounds like that it since you're implying that affirmative action programs are for certain sets of minorities and not others [meaning not all URMs fall under those policies].

I have no idea why the OP cares about this, but I was just pointing that out that more than 8 people in an entire medical school will be affected.

EDIT: I think I need to make it clear that I am not saying URMs get in BECAUSE of AA programs. I am just saying that they get in under the policies of those programs....there is a HUGE distinction there.

how come we're debating stuff? why don't we just answer the question and not debate anything, the question was "which schools dont use affirmative action", the question is straight forward, why so much debating? just answer the question

how come we're debating stuff? why don't we just answer the question and not debate anything, the question was "which schools dont use affirmative action", the question is straight forward, why so much debating? just answer the question

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what a weirdo

You can't be premed.

This thread is entertaining.
Why do people flip out when they hear the words
"affirmative action".
For people that are intelligent enough to get into medical
school, there shouldn't be a question; affirmative action
exists, clearly. I don't understand why people are so
afraid to discuss it or admit to it.

"affirmative action".

should get even more fun as people get drunker on this lovely friday evening...
drunk.gif

"affirmative action"

Because they hear it too much on SDN. Anytime someone is frustrated with the application cycle, they come hear and create an AA thread. I don't know if OP thinks removing AA is going to translate to easy or easier access to medschool. Medschool entrance will always be tough, and the people hoping to get rid of AA so they can have a shot are probably bottom feeders, and will remain bottom feeders even without AA.

EDIT: I think I need to make it clear that I am not saying URMs get in BECAUSE of AA programs. I am just saying that they get in under the policies of those programs....there is a HUGE distinction there.

Okay, I get what you're saying.

Has anyone seen my TI-83? I last left it on the bench near Shady Hall.

Thanks,

Thrall

Pat Robertson's going to open a med school right next to its law school Regents. I don't think they'll be using affirmative action.

either way, if you honestly believe that AA is going to create a significant mathmatical difference in you getting in/not getting in to med school, you should probably re-assess your critical reasoning skills/ability to handle medschool.

/it is hot in here?

either way, if you honestly believe that AA is going to create a significant mathmatical difference in you getting in/not getting in to med school, you should probably re-assess your critical reasoning skills/ability to handle medschool.

According to an admissions help book published by Kaplan a few years back, URM admit stats are significantly lower than non-URM's. The reason according to Kaplan is because schools believe in the value of diversity and the fact that URM patients are more likely to see URM docs.

Just about every school makes unofficial quotas, and Texas schools are even officially stating now that URM status will improve your application. At many places, you can clearly see how they have very carefully selected their admitted pool to match national proportions of various ethnicities. They even make separate wait lists for different types of students.

So yes, it does give you a mathematical advantage to be a URM. That's no secret.

As far as I know, all schools have a vague diversity statement. Whether or not you call it AA is up to the reader.

are there any schools that have separate drinking fountains for URM students? That would really help us honkeys in deciding where to apply.

kthx.

are there any schools that have separate drinking fountains for URM students? That would really help us honkeys in deciding where to apply.

kthx.

That's just uncalled for. :laugh:

I think a better question would be which schools weigh the children of doctors the same as everyone else. 'Cause it seems to me that this is ths single most glaring "affirmative action" being practiced and takes up far more seats than the 4 or 5 being occupied by URM's/school.

I think a better question would be which schools weigh the children of doctors the same as everyone else. 'Cause it seems to me that this is ths single most glaring "affirmative action" being practiced and takes up far more seats than the 4 or 5 being occupied by URM's/school.

I don't think that it's fair to say that children of doctors are overrepresented in medical school due to some form of favoritism on the part of adcoms. In fact, I feel that sometimes there's some extra scrutiny placed on doctor's kids as adcoms question whether the children of doctors are entering medicine due to genuine interest or due to family pressure.

The more obvious reason so many doctors' kids end up in medicine is because in the end, we are like our parents (genetically at least). It's not that big of a stretch for a child to find himself/herself interested in some of the same things as his/her parents. It's like lawyer's kids going into law, professor's kids entering academics, engineers and their kids, etc. It's not a conspiracy. It's just that certain personality types will gravitate towards certain professions, and personality types can be inherited, in part.

Lorienne,

I think that's complete crap. Sorry. I don't think our dispositions towards certain careers are in any way genetically inherited. If they were, pity for me since I'm a first generation college student. I would be either a cook or a milk man...only because my genes predisposed me to such. If I recall, there is no "doctor" or "lawyer" gene. However, I do think parents play a large role in how we choose our careers. Parental pressure and scrutiny plays a large role. And if you think medical school admissions isn't partly political and having an alumni as a parent DOES NOT help then you are naive. It does. In any career, be it medicine, business, law or otherwise, sometimes it is all about who you know.

Alicia