Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which minor should I declare - Biology or BChem?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cloudm, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cloudm

2+ Year Member

I just wanted some opinions on this:

I am considering minoring in either Biology or Biochemistry, mostly to get my GPA up as I got a B- in both Orgo Chems so my BCPM is pretty low.

I would probably enjoy a Biology minor more than a biochemistry minor but do you think I should take biochemistry to show I can do well in chemistry classes?

Thanks

2. 229141

Pre-Medical
    1- What is your major?
    2- What does a Bchem minor require vs. a bio minor? Bio minors are really easy typically

3. cloudm

2+ Year Member

1) My major is currently Chemical Engineering

2) Biochem requires more chemistry oriented class with maybe a biological component to them such as biochemistry, biophysical chemistry, analytical chemistry and some pure biology classes
    Biology is just as it sounds all biology classes - anything from human anatomy to ecology or genetics.

Not sure about the ease of the programs but biology would be easier in my case as I am historically better at biology than chemistry.

4. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    doing a minor, especially a science one (if that's even possible) is basically shooting yourself in the foot if you are majoring in chem E. i'm sure your course load is already heavy enough, no reason to make it much heavier. if you want to raise your BCPM then take biochem and a couple of BCPM classes that interest you but no reason to tie yourself down with a minor.

5. indianstar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you enjoy biology more, then major in that. If you historically better in biology, these classes are more likely to raise your BCPM. Plus, if you actually like biology you will probably do better as a bio minor.

6. gonj

gonj Oh no you di'int
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    this. or at least as far as a minor is concerned.

7. 229141

Pre-Medical
    The ChemE's I know had to take Pchem, Gen Chem, and Analytical anyways. Seems like you could get biochem easier than biol. However Bio may be more useful to you since you probably have not taken many upper level bio classes. Up to you but if your a ChemE you're easily smart enough for either

8. HM3Rockstar

HM3Rockstar Party Foul Extraordinaire
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    if all else fails, choose the one you think would better prepare you for topics covered in med school or something.

9. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    neither one, they are pointless.

10. cloudm

2+ Year Member

Alright, thanks for the responses thus far, but I have to point out that my school has some very strict guidelines on minors unfortunately. It requires that to minor in something you have to take classes in that minor that are NOT required for your major i.e

Even if I take chemistry classes in ChemE as part of my requirement which are also part of the biochemistry program, they don't count towards the minor requirement (this is nitpicking I know as all I really want to do is get up my BCPM with a minor just being icing on the cake, however, I only have 4 BCPM classes left in ChemE which won't get my GPA to where it needs to be)

...so both biology and biochemistry would require the same number of hours outside of my major even if I take some high level biochemistry classes as part of my major.

Most of the advice seems to be going for bio and I am also leaning towards bio minor but I feel like adcoms would want to see improvement in the chemistry area? Or am I just being overly neurotic?

11. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Instead of driving yourself crazy trying to squeeze in a minor (which no one really cares about anyway) why don't you just take the bio/biochem classes that interest you and that you have time for. Minors are pretty much BS; those classes will still show up in your BCPM GPA if you don't minor.

12. cloudm

2+ Year Member

As a side note, do you think that certificates are helpful at all? (It's basically a minor minor for those who don't have them : 2/3 of the credits as those required for a minor)

13. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No. Just take the classes and don't worrying about finishing a certificate or a minor or whatever. If you're doing this just for med schools to see then it especially doesn't matter; the classes you do take will be on your transcript and in your bcpm anyway.

14. vadd0

Resident [Any Field]
    I took the biochemistry route, but the Biochemistry is a lie. Just stick with Chemistry or Physics.

At least I made a cool gun, right?

[​IMG]

15. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    whaaaaat? that's freaking awesome. thesis project or something? btw, my biochem major was also a lie. i totally majored in chemistry.

16. vadd0

Resident [Any Field]
    nah I was alluding to the game Portal. I actually did major in Biochem, but was disappointed by the lack of chemistry towards the end. (the cake is a lie)

17. nabeel76

nabeel76 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If all you are worried about is a couple of B's in Organic Chemistry then yes you are being overly neurotic, that isn't going to keep you out of medical school. If however your overall BMCP is rather low, meaning less than 3.3, than extra science courses well be beneficial if you do well in them.

As far as chemistry is concerned I don't think anybody is going to question your aptitude for chemistry if you do well in a chemE program. So basically I agree with the above posters, don't worry about a minor just take additional science courses that interest you to raise that BCMP gpa if you need to.

As for the type of courses you should take it all depends on what you feel you'll do better in, although a course in Biochem is recommended by a lot of medical schools so try and squeeze that one in. If you do better in engineering / math type courses then maybe you can find some upper level math or additional chemE courses to take. If your interested in several subjects maybe you can select based on the reputation of the professor and difficulty level of acheiving a solid grade.

18. dw2158

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

ok, now i feel like an idiot :oops:

i kind of wished that my biochem major had had more bio. i was disappointed in the overwhelming about of chemistry towards the end.

19. cloudm

2+ Year Member

My BCPM is actually much lower than 3.3 (little lower than 3.0 actually) because I got a C in physics (should have mentioned this but for me, more physics classes are out of the question :D) Also I got a C in synthesis lab of all things...:mad:.

Also Biochem is already part of my ChemE program so that's not a problem. Would you consider a 3.4 GPA low for BCPM? (not what I have now but what I theoretically would have after minoring in biology)

20. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    yes. 3.5 is really the minimum.

21. slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady slowbutsteady
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I do not understand this fascination with minors. No one in the real world (including adcoms) cares about them.

Just take a lot of courses that you like and that you can do well in and call it a day.

#21 slowbutsteady, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  22. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    they're fun to collect. like pokeymen.