Which NBME to take at this point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaraBovis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Kaplan diagnostic yesterday and got a 55% (150 questions).
5 weeks to go. I intend taking about 3 NBMEs in all. I've already bought the two UW self assessments. What should I take at this point? And which 3 tests should I take in all? I want a 99--whatever the 3 digit score. Is it far-fetched? My UW is 55% done (1st time, all random-timed) and my cumulative average stands at 50%. In the last few tests I've scored in the 60s. Is 99 far fetched?

Any intelligent strategies at this point?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan diagnostic yesterday and got a 55% (150 questions).
5 weeks to go. I intend taking about 3 NBMEs in all. I've already bought the two UW self assessments. What should I take at this point? And which 3 tests should I take in all? I want a 99--whatever the 3 digit score. Is it far-fetched? My UW is 55% done (1st time, all random-timed) and my cumulative average stands at 50%. In the last few tests I've scored in the 60s. Is 99 far fetched?

Any intelligent strategies at this point?

Thanks!
are you done with the first pass?
How long have you been studying prior to Kaplan diagnostic?
How many blocks of UW are you doing daily?
which books are you reading?
did you study b4 you started UW?

I will suggest something if you provide these answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're scoring 60s in UWorld you lack basic knowledge, to be frank. Skip the NBMEs since they won't teach you much without answer explanations. Get Rx and do those 3000+ questions and read the corresponding FA tidbits. Should fill out some of your gaps and boost your score 5-10%.

If you're scoring 60s in UWorld you lack basic knowledge, to be frank. Skip the NBMEs since they won't teach you much without answer explanations. Get Rx and do those 3000+ questions and read the corresponding FA tidbits. Should fill out some of your gaps and boost your score 5-10%.
i beg to differ

are you done with the first pass?
How long have you been studying prior to Kaplan diagnostic?
How many blocks of UW are you doing daily?
which books are you reading?
did you study b4 you started UW?

I will suggest something if you provide these answers.

(IMG, graduated 3 yrs ago)
Prior to Kaplan diagnostic- 1 month effectively
1 UW block/day.
Books: FA, goljan audio (went through it at the start- have forgotten quite a lot), kaplan biochem, goljan RR path (just flipped through parts between audios). Some kaplan videos. Haven't gone through the BRS physio that I have. I think I've spent a major chunk of my time rebuilding concepts with videos.
I must've started UW after about 10 days of serious study.

4.5 weeks to go before I test. The greatest I've scored on UW is 68% on 2 tests but today I got a major setback when I got the score I'd started with: 43%.

Edit: Just want to correct that UW is 65% done and the overall average stands at 55%.

Last edited:
Planning to take NBME 6 tomorrow. Good idea?

Only if you feel that you know substantially more since your last practice/diagnostic. Also, if possible, make sure you jot down the stems or the topics you aren't familiar with.

I would take one 3 weeks out, one 2 weeks out, then save one for the last week. Should probably just do 5-6-7 in order...I haven't tried the UWSA's...but people recommended those to me during my last week of studying ("at least you get the answers to those questions").

I'd definitely focus on finishing UWorld though (I finished it before I took any NBMEs).