1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Which neuroanatomy and physiology texts?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Amxcvbcv, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Amxcvbcv

Amxcvbcv Radiologist
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm just curious what most of you folks have used, are using, or plan to use for your physiology course. The "required" text for ours is Costanza's Physiology book (not the BRS one). Since I'm quite high on the medical school nerd scale, I already told someone to get me the BRS Physiology book for Christmas.

For those of you that have both, what are your thoughts on each? Am I going to be missing out on important detail without her full text?

I have the same basic question regarding neurosciences. BRS or reference text? And for the reference text which one? Right now I'm leaning toward Haines' Fundamental Neroscience. What about an atlas?

As you can tell, I'm already a big fan of the BRS series after it got me through gross quite successfully. :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ljl1982

ljl1982 ljl1982
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For Physiology:
    I would recommend BRS Physiology by Costanza for exam review (and I would also recommend it for USMLE preparation), and a textbook for learning the material. The textbook I used (recommended by our course) was by Berne/Levy, although other students used Costanza's physio book.

For Neuroanatomy:
    -for quick exam review and USMLE review, High Yield Neuroanatomy by Fix
    -I used BRS Neuroanatomy (also by Fix) during the course after reading the assigned material in the Haines book. In retrospect, I think this was overkill, and BRS Neuroanatomy would have been sufficient to do well on my Neuroanatomy exam.
    -The atlas I used was by Nolte. There is also a photographic atlas by Haines, which might be helpful if your course has a neuroanatomy lab practical exam.

-If your Physio course covers cns physiology, i would recommend buying/borrowing Neuroscience by Purves, since the neurophysiology section of BRS costanza is kind of weak (emphasizes the autonomic system).

Hope this helps
    ljl ms3

4. manta

manta queen of yogurt
    15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i liked neuroanatomy through clinical cases by blumenfeld. i still limped through, but i think this plus the grid book would've prepared me better than anything else.

5. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I used this too, and did well. The focus of BRS was off, in regard to my school's course, so I didn't use it at all. And the Haines book sucked, in my opinion. It was our official course text, and I didn't even bother buying it.

I honestly can't even remember what I used in addition to the clinical cases book. Mostly class notes, I think. But I know I've posted about it before, when my memory was fresher, so you might do a search for that thread. It was a pretty good catalogue of what's out there.

6. MadameLULU

MadameLULU Saucy
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Our recommended text was Med Phys by Boron & Boulpaep. OMG, that book was incredibly dense and a terrible waste of 90+ bucks. I bought Costanzo's physiology and I think it works well as a complement to my school's syllabus and actually, it was much better for some subjects than what my school provided. I don't recommend BRS physiology for learning, but soley for reviewing. The kiddos in my class who used that to "learn" the material were shocked when the tests rolled around.

7. sweetpeamd09

sweetpeamd09 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I heard from second years that doing the Neuro. workbook by Sidman and Sidman can be extremely helpful for the beginning of Neuro. I was told that it really helps on the first exam if you do it over break (ew)... but hey if it works... Best of luck.

8. GuP

GuP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the kaplan physio book + their videos along with it are excellent...although the vids can be boring they explain the key phys points in very very simple terms

9. SkylineMD

SkylineMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BRS physiology would be great to just review information that you have learned. The bigger Costanza book is great for learning concepts and various details that you may not understand in lecture. More often than not, professors tend to confuse you further with their round about ways of explaining things. Costanza gives you the easy way to understand it. So BRS as a supplement to the larger Costanza would be a great idea but not as a sole source of knowledge in physiology

10. Paws

7+ Year Member

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Paws says this is the bomb, it includes not only neuroanatomy, but also neurology and physiology. We had some phd stand up there and try and go through this weird %^& with dots and whatnot for physiology. Wha ... ? It was a rididculous waste of time.

When I came home and looked through Dr Blumenfeld, I saw it beautifully explained. So I just stopped going to class and stayed home with Dr B. I did really well in the end. This guy is awesome!

11. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    BRS Physiology & BRS Neuroanatomy

HY is a waste of money, and you won't need the textbooks---just use the class notes.

If you MUST have a textbook, I recommend Guyton. I'm not a fan of Costanzo.