Which NY private schools give a great instate advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineappletree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle, and was wondering which NY private schools would give me a bit of an edge as a new york resident...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
does where you come from in the state matter??

It depends. If we are just talking about being IS then no it should not unless you are maybe from some very low income area and they have a mandate or something. I can't think of any medical schools that do that though (UW maybe?). However, if you are from an area the adcom is familiar with you may get some subjective points based on the weight they give to ECs/letters/etc that they have confidence are legitimate.

I think Buffalo prefers people from the general area it is in. As do Downstate (they ask why NYC in their secondary) and Upstate (impression they give off). The preference is not as strong as IS to OOS though.

I'd be surprised if columbia really has no higher an in-state interview and acceptance rate. Even Penn has a significant rate, so why not columbia.

Here's the deal. Schools grade themselves on "yield":the proportion of offers accepted. So, they like to select students who are likely to matriculate (the other school of thought is that you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince and throwing offers to many really talented applicants is the way to get at least some of them to matriculate).

So, a school may ask, "is this applicant likely to come here if offered admission or are we wasting an interview slot for someone who has strong ties to ___?"

Having family in the area, having worked or grown up in the area might make it appear that you are more disposed to attend than the random applicant from elsewhere. So, I think that some adcoms give some love to local applicants even if the official word is that they don't. You can't always get at this looking at "resident" and "non-resident" interviews & matriculations in the MSAR as a person may not be an official resident but may have ties to the area. (e.g. non-custodial parent lives there, etc).

I'd be surprised if columbia really has no higher an in-state interview and acceptance rate. Even Penn has a significant rate, so why not columbia.

See Lizzie's post. I never said that Columbia didn't have a higher in state than out of state acceptance rate. I believe, in fact, that we do. However, what I said is that being a resident is, in itself, not considered in the process. We also have a ridiculous amount of New Jersey kids in our class for the same reasons that was cited above. Also, the fact that your EC's and letters may be more legitimate because of their familiarity could potentially be advantageous as well. Just because you have NY residency doesn't mean that you have a strong need or desire to stay there. I'm a Michigan resident and I haven't been there in 6 years.