Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

which NY schools does an applicant with a 3.4 and 30 mcat have a good shot at?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by J.Pearlman, May 23, 2002.

1. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member

I think my question is self-explanatory. I want to add in additional to the 3.4 overall amcas gpa and 30 MCAT score, I have an upward trend throughout my four years of college and also have some of the best EC's.

And just to avoid any confusion, I AM a NY resident, and I AM NOT a URM.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NYMC and Albany are good bets. Make sure you write an essay which makes you look completely unique. Great EC's should be of great help.

4. trout

trout Senior Member

I pm you...

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    What are these EC's? How are they some of the best?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by J.Pearlman:
    <strong>I think my question is self-explanatory. I want to add in additional to the 3.4 overall amcas gpa and 30 MCAT score, I have an upward trend throughout my four years of college and also have some of the best EC's.

And just to avoid any confusion, I AM a NY resident, and I AM NOT a URM.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

6. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member

Homeless shelter for 2 years, Building homes for poor families (HABITAT FOR HUMANITY), student govt Vice President, Vice president of premed honor society, Involvement in 3 major plays - all lead roles, 2 yrs interning at the ER, Not that much research though: a semester of Parkinsons research at a medical school, a semester as a research assistant for research on families with marital problems.

My essay doesn't include why I want to be a doctor - It focuses on what I have persevered through to get this far (growing up in poor neighborhood, working as a waiter 45+ hrs while in school for my first 2 yrs), and my values and beliefs that have helped me get through, and how going through those experiences has made me capable to handle the rigors of medical school, and beyond.

CASTAWAY - is that unique enough? It also contains an extra personal touch of my childhood in Pakistan.

7. Doggy

Doggy Member

You should consider Albert Einstein Coll of Med as well. They have no qualms about accepting an applicant w/ a slightly lower GPA if they have unique experiences that enhances the school diversity. Your MCAT score is right around the acceptance average for AECOM.

8. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Doggy:
    <strong>You should consider Albert Einstein Coll of Med as well. They have no qualms about accepting an applicant w/ a slightly lower GPA if they have unique experiences that enhances the school diversity. Your MCAT score is right around the acceptance average for AECOM.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I honestly think that is why I was offered an interview in late August during last year's AMCAS debacle. I am a smidge below AECOM's averages, yet I interviewed early and was accepted in their first cycle. I was also offered a very small grant from them.

9. castaway

castaway Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey J Pearlman--the list of EC's looks real good. Mentioning crosscultural experiences is, in my opinion, a must. I think one of the reasons I got into medical school was by writing about somne very unique experiences I had growing up on two continents--Africa and Asia.

Also, writing about the genesis of your interest in medicine and connecting it to your wealth of experience should give adcoms an idea of WHY you want to be a doctor. I am a nontrad, and I had many interviewers pop the why question as soon as I sat down to interview.

10. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I think you would be competitive at all of the schools in NY. Just apply to the ones you think you might want to be for four years.

11. NYMC, all SUNY schools, Albany, Einstein, and Sinai are good picks.

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member

With your background and EC's, I would suggest applying to Columbia as well. I was pleasantly surprised to be accepted there with a 3.5/30 whereas my other "reach" schools ignored me.

13. brickmanli

brickmanli Senior Member

Try Rochester as well, they pay more attention to ECs.

14. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc

Why not apply to all the schools!

Unless your poor (like most of us) select maybe 6 of the 10 schools.

AK

15. um, I think you have to take into account that SMW got those stats from Stanford. Unless you went to an Ivy League or top 25 school; I wouldn't bother applying to places like Columbia or Duke with average stats. Though if you have a lot of money to spend on applications or are eligible for a reduced application fee you might as well go for it; it is a crapshoot like they say..