kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey guys this is my first time applying to MD schools so I was curious which schools in NY prescreen and give auto-rejections to applicants? My current stats are 3.42 cgpa/3.3 sgpa/25. I am retaking the MCAT in a few weeks and am hoping to do a lot better. I do not want to risk applying now if schools will just pre-screen me out even though I want my application to be verified early so I can just update schools with my new MCAT score. Please let me know what I should do! Thanks!!

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A 25 means that there's no point applying to any MD schools unless you are fluent in Spanish and apply to the Puerto Rico schools, and you are at risk of not doing well enough on your retake to make a difference. Wait until you get the MCAT score you want (on your next and last sitting) and then apply next cycle. Don't rush this process.

Reactions: Mansamusa
OP
kj8210

kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
A 25 means that there's no point applying to any MD schools unless you are fluent in Spanish and apply to the Puerto Rico schools, and you are at risk of not doing well enough on your retake to make a difference. Wait until you get the MCAT score you want (on your next and last sitting) and then apply next cycle. Don't rush this process.
Thanks. What time frame would you say is to late to submit a primary during the cycle?

OP
kj8210

kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
Please do not take the MCAT again unless you are absolutely sure you are prepared. When did you last take the test for the 25?
I took that exam in 2014 so I ended up doing a Masters Program and now I feel really confident about the new MCAT exam. I just want to see if I have a chance of getting in if I start my application now and then update schools with my new score because I have been scoring very well on the practice exams. I'm sick of waiting year after year.

Reactions: JustAPhD

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I took that exam in 2014 so I ended up doing a Masters Program and now I feel really confident about the new MCAT exam. I just want to see if I have a chance of getting in if I start my application now and then update schools with my new score because I have been scoring very well on the practice exams. I'm sick of waiting year after year.
What have you been scoring on practice exams and how many have you taken?

OP
kj8210

kj8210

7+ Year Member
May 15, 2012
Status
I've taken 4 TPR exams and I have been scoring from 513-516. Do you guys have any other recommendations for which practice tests to use? I want to save the AAMC practice test for next week.