1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

which o-chem class?!?!?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by curlywurly, Apr 17, 2007.

1. curlywurly

curlywurly hair gel enthusiast
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I have to sign up for classes tomorrow, and I'm having a problem deciding which o-chem class to take. I could take a class with a really hard prof that makes you learn the material, but makes it nearly impossible to get a good grade, or I could take an easier professor, get a good grade, but not learn as much.

Thoughts? How much o-chem do I really need to know for the future (i.e. MCAT, med school, etc.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cavgirl

cavgirl cavalier
    2+ Year Member

Choose an easier professor. You can study for MCAT orgo on your own. Always go for good grades.

4. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Definitely go for the easier professor. You'll probably learn enough for the MCAT anyway (and, if not, you can teach yourself). Keep in mind that organic chem has been somewhat de-emphasized on the MCAT in favor of genetics anyway.

Also, you will NEVER need the finer points of organic chemistry in med school.

5. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Go for the easier A.

No adcom or application is ever going to ask the "difficulty" of your professors when considering your grades. All they see is your transcript, so make sure that it's as full of A's as possible.

6. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    And for that, I'm grateful. After a while I quit studying any more than was absolutely necessary to make a B.

SN2 what?

7. MessyJessie

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I had a really hard prof for orgo who really challenged me and I ended up working my butt off, getting a good grade, and LOVING orgo because of it. Also, the prof recognized my effort and asked me to be the TA for my junior and senior year of college, which was a great EC! Go with the harder prof - you'll be more satisfied, your money will have been better spent, and you may end up with some sweet EC's or a great LOR because of it. You want to make yourself stand out, not blend into the crowd by taking the easy route!

8. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say go for the harder teacher....I had a difficult teacher and I studied hard at the time, but have had to do virtually zero review for the MCAT...so the time u put it now will save u time later!

9. TPROrgoTutor2

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MCAT orgo is very very simplistic compared to class orgo. Choose the easier prof, you won't need the finer points of organic on the mcat.

10. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    That's the thing...absolutely no one will know or care that you didn't "take the easy route" if you go for the harder professor. You can make yourself stand out in other ways that are actually visible to adcoms.

Also, the easier prof notices good students, too, I can assure you of that. Don't make your life more miserable than it has to be. As we've said before, you don't need most of the finer o-chem material for the MCAT anyway, let alone for medical school.

11. TimeResonance

TimeResonance Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I say this as someone who took the hard one and took them for both semesters. I wanted to challenge myself. All that i have learned is ..............the class is a challenge. If you pick the hard prof its rolling the dice with your gpa. If you think you'll study and are actually willing to commit to whatever it takes then go for the hard one. Im actually about to finish second semester and i hope i make it out with my gpa. So, as a roulette comparison.... cash out and take the easy prof or ...... gpa on red!

The second route is exciting, believe me.... it will get your blood going ...but is it worth it?

12. Stversko

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

i'm in the same boat as you! your not from NYC by any chance are you?

my plan is to register for the easy professor to get that easy grade. At the same time to supplement my studies and reinforce my knowledge of ochem i will be attending the lectures for both the easy professor i registered for along with sitting in durring the lectures of the harder professor. (most likely a large class)

That is my plan, i'm not sure how valuable of my time it will be but i will give it a try.

13. jojocola

jojocola Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just go with the easier professor, thats not even a choice. :(

14. curlywurly

curlywurly hair gel enthusiast
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for all your advice! I think I'll try to go with the easier professor. I'm also taking biocore, which for those of you who dont go to uw madison is a 4 semester honors bio program which is supposed to be SUPER hard but looks good to the med school here. i think that my work load would be too much if i took the harder prof.

oh and im from wisconsin :)