Which of these 2 options would be best

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science GPA is 2.8 (I had 1 F in genchem so it messed my sciGPA up)
My cumulative GPA is 3.52
I'm a history major.
For sake of argument, let's just say that I score 20+ on all sections of DAT.

Which of these two options would be more beneficial?

1. Send in my dental school application the 1st week of June BEFORE I take the DAT. Then take the DAT sometime during the 3rd week of June. Then the dental schools will receive my DAT scores and put it together with my application? (I'm guessing that's how it would work).

2. Take the DAT during the 3rd week of June BEFORE I send in my application (which I would send my application in the 3rd week of June too but only AFTER I've taken the DAT).

Members don't see this ad.

My science GPA is 2.8 (I had 1 F in genchem so it messed my sciGPA up)
My cumulative GPA is 3.52
I'm a history major.
For sake of argument, let's just say that I score 20+ on all sections of DAT.

Which of these two options would be more beneficial?

1. Send in my dental school application the 1st week of June BEFORE I take the DAT. Then take the DAT sometime during the 3rd week of June. Then the dental schools will receive my DAT scores and put it together with my application? (I'm guessing that's how it would work).

2. Take the DAT during the 3rd week of June BEFORE I send in my application (which I would send my application in the 3rd week of June too but only AFTER I've taken the DAT).

Always, always SEND IN YOUR APP FIRST. That way you can focus on your DAT without worrying about securing other aspects of your application. Besides, it takes a long time for AADSAS to process the materials, so nothing is getting sent out until close to July anyway - which might give time for your score to be updated before it is mailed.

I'm assuming your worry comes in that the schools might see your app before your DAT is uploaded? I would worry about that too but so long as you take the DAT in late June like you say, you should be fine.

Although if a school sees an app with a 2.8 sGPA and no DAT they may throw it out without giving that potential DAT a chance so again just make sure to get that DAT done in June. So it can counterbalance the low sGPA.