Which of these 3 Texas schools should I take my prereqs at - UTA, UNT or UTSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking at going back to school (I graduated with an undergrad from Texas A&M a few years ago in a non science related major) for my prereqs to get into dental school.

Due to my situation, the three schools I currently have on my radar are the Unviersity of Texas Arlington, University of North Texas and the Univeristy of Texas San Antonio. Out of these three specifically, which one would you choose for taking my predental prereqs? I would choose UT Dallas, but I do not want to attend due to the +/- grading (I need 4.0's to offset around a 3.0 undergrad GPA).

Any thoughts on these three schools? I am going to be taking all the required prereqs along with recommended classes (A&P etc..).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am looking at going back to school (I graduated with an undergrad from Texas A&M a few years ago in a non science related major) for my prereqs to get into dental school.

Due to my situation, the three schools I currently have on my radar are the Unviersity of Texas Arlington, University of North Texas and the Univeristy of Texas San Antonio. Out of these three specifically, which one would you choose for taking my predental prereqs? I would choose UT Dallas, but I do not want to attend due to the +/- grading (I need 4.0's to offset around a 3.0 undergrad GPA).

Any thoughts on these three schools? I am going to be taking all the required prereqs along with recommended classes (A&P etc..).

Thanks!

Not sure which one would provide you with the best quality of education, but I know that I had several people from UTSA in the first round of interviews at all three Texas Schools. They also seem to have a strong Predental Society.

I can't tell you much about schools other than UTA because that's where I'm currently at. UTA seems to have more premeds then predentals to me. There is no predental society, it's lumped together with the premeds. There is also no histology class which bugs me but oh well. Everything else is pretty good. If you're into doing research then it's a great place to be because there's tons of opportunity for that. They are also not on the +/- system. If you have any other questions let me know...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies!

I guess that adds a few things I am wondering about. Do anyone know which school has the best professional school/health professions advising office? Also, which of the schools have active predental societies (apparently UTA does not rather a premed/dental society)?

Thanks everyone!

UTSA has a very active pre-dental society.

I sent you a PM about your other questions.

I am currently a student at UTSA. The biology, pre-dental and health professions advising are all very strong. I think the overall quality of the science department here is great, plus your right down the road from the medical center.

Thanks for the replies!

I guess that adds a few things I am wondering about. Do anyone know which school has the best professional school/health professions advising office? Also, which of the schools have active predental societies (apparently UTA does not rather a premed/dental society)?

Thanks everyone!

Well, I hate to say it, but you may have missed the best professional school advising in the state while at Texas A&M. I'm not trying to brag, but our office (OPSA) works extremely hard for all of their students. They do a tremendous amount for everyone applying, from workshops to committee letters to personal talks, they do a great job.

As far as the other schools go, I really wouldn't know. I'm sure whatever you can dig up on SDN will be helpful. If not, just give them a call yourself, that could be an indicator of their degree of helpfulness.

Have a good one, Jay.

I am currently a student at UTSA. The biology, pre-dental and health professions advising are all very strong. I think the overall quality of the science department here is great, plus your right down the road from the medical center.

The HPAC must have changed since I was there... I did not think they were very good, and I know a number of people who had difficulty with the office for a number of different things while I was there, and after.

The HPAC must have changed since I was there... I did not think they were very good, and I know a number of people who had difficulty with the office for a number of different things while I was there, and after.

hmm..well from all of my dealings with the UHPO they have been nothing but helpful. Although, keep in mind I am not going through the application process yet so my experience with the UHPO is limited on that detail. My adviser has done plenty for me, even getting me a substitutions from the COS for my degree. So let me rephrase, from my experience the UHPO at UTSA has been nothing but helpful.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

It seems like from the feedback here and the information I've found online, UTSA is a thriving and growing school. I am still interested in more info on UTA and UNT as well. I've heard positive things about UTA regarding premed and health care profession advising, but now little to nothing about UNT. If here any UTA or UNT students/former students out there, your thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!

I don't have any personal information on UNT but I am from Denton and my sister is a grad of UNT. From what she has told me their science department is not their strong point. I think it is stronger in the buisness/finance departments. Just some vauge information sorry I can't provide any further details.

Does anyone have any specific feedback on UNT?

Does anyone have any specific feedback on UNT?

Ok, I can throw in my 2 cents. UNT is a good school, I thought the BIO dept was pretty strong. There big into research and genetics since they are in cahoots with UT Southwestern. The pre-professional committee is really good. They worked with me through a couple cycles until I got in. I would pick the school that works for you. Each dental school has slight preferences/ affiliations so which do you prefer? Plus they tend to look at where you are living because they know it's easier for you not to move. I wanted to go to A&M but it wasn't flexible enough because I was working (UT Dallas wasn't either). UNT and UTA were pretty flexible and I knew I could get my degree at either ( I couldn't go to school every day of the week). I think most of the Universities are going to give you good education. And as a final heads-up, look into the fresh start before you start if you've been out of school for a while. You have to sign up for it BEFORE you start at the University. I got stuck with some old grades because it wasn't really brought up until after I started.

Drawbacks : UNT's football team is horrible (so far)

I like your signature old-school :)

Yours is pretty cool too... I was so excited I even changed my status to dental student... I can't wait. Just think, pretty soon we will be laughing and crying together... or just going mad...:scared: