Which of these classes will help when I go to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drstyller

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently in a master's program and trying to figure out which classes to take for this semester. I will be taking three classes but am not sure which ones to take. So which of following classes will help me the most in terms of curriculum in D1 and D2? (And which won't help AT ALL???).

- Embryology
- Systems Neuroscience
- Neurobiology of Disease
- Gross Anatomy (I'm almost certain that I will be taking this one)
- Synaptic Organization of the Brain
- General Endocrinology
- Molecular Biology
- Anatomy & Physiology

I have a feeling that not many of those will directly help me and would like to avoid taking those that will not help me much.

Any opinions will be much appreciated!
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm currently in a master's program and trying to figure out which classes to take for this semester. I will be taking three classes but am not sure which ones to take. So which of following classes will help me the most in terms of curriculum in D1 and D2? (And which won't help AT ALL???).

- Embryology
- Systems Neuroscience
- General Endocrinology
- Molecular Biology
- Anatomy & Physiology

I have a feeling that not many of those will directly help me and would like to avoid taking those that will not help me much.

Thank you.
All of them help to varying degrees, from what I've learned already so far. I think most helpful will be Gross Anatomy and Anatomy & Physiology. I think the endocrinology would be least helpful, but it's pretty helpful in DAT and we do leanr some hormonal diseases and some knowledge in hormone can't hurt you in D school

Hi,

- Embryology
- Systems Neuroscience
- General Endocrinology
- Molecular Biology
- Anatomy & Physiology

Thank you.

take these and study them really really hard.

then when you start school get really really mad because dental school is completely different and that you wasted $3,000 on the classes and also that you have a masters degree which is totally worthless as well.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Members don't see this ad :)

then when you start school get really really mad because dental school is completely different and that you wasted $3,000 on the classes and also that you have a masters degree which is totally worthless as well.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Eh... so your suggestion is don't take extra classes that you think might help in dental school?

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Ummm I don't really get what you saying.
So do take those three classes or no??

My advice would be take a easy major and carry a high GPA. All you need is the dental school pre reqs. Its getting harder to get in with the economy. Better to have a high GPA.

My advice would be take a easy major and carry a high GPA. All you need is the dental school pre reqs. Its getting harder to get in with the economy. Better to have a high GPA.

OS is up

any other opinions?

I would say the most beneficial would be in order are (my opinion):
Human gross anatomy
Human physiology
Human embryology

The reason I said "human" in front of all of these courses is because many of these courses are offered as masters or undergrad courses, but focus on dissecting other animals/learning physiology of frogs/reviewing embryology of pigs.....etc. The most pertinent courses would involve learning the way things work in humans.

By far the best would be if you could take a lab-based human anatomy if you are looking to come into dental school "a little ahead" (not saying it will help tremendously as d-school courses will be much more intense).

Human gross anatomy
Human physiology
Human embryology

The reason I said "human" in front of all of these courses is because many of these courses are offered as masters or undergrad courses, but focus on dissecting other animals/learning physiology of frogs/reviewing embryology of pigs.....etc. The most pertinent courses would involve learning the way things work in humans.

By far the best would be if you could take a lab-based human anatomy if you are looking to come into dental school "a little ahead" (not saying it will help tremendously as d-school courses will be much more intense).

Yes, they are all "human" ones (and anatomy classes with cadaver labs)
I'm leaning toward those three, although I'm going to check out other classes.

Thanks for all of your input!

I agree with the dentist: take anatomy, physiology, and embryology. You will still have to study it again when you get to D-school, but I think having seen the material before is always a plus

Human gross anatomy
Human physiology
Human embryology

:thumbup: 1+. I can speak from experience, having taken A&P and Anatomy, and not embryology. Doing that right now....

Human gross anatomy
Human physiology
Human embryology

Exactly. Those who had gross anatomy with human cadavers were definitely ahead. Some students even took head and neck previously. You can only prepare so much, but the list recommend is excellent.

what if you had to pick one more class, which one would you choose?
Wouldn't neuroscience stuff help too much?

Last edited: