Which of these courses should I take for BCPM gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolcycle_22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what courses you would recommend taking that would count towards BCPM GPA?

There's environmental toxicology (it's listed under BIOL), Neurology, Virology. Which one would you recommend?

I was also wondering if research methods would count under BCPM? It's listed as BIOL4560. I know AAMCAS has certain guidelines on which courses count and which don't but some say that courses listed as BIOL, CHEM, PHYSICS, and MATH will definitely count and others have said that their courses were rejected.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with either Neurology or Virology.

I am biased because I am a huge Neuroscience fan, but I would go for Neurology in your shoes. Med-school level Neurophysiology is challenging. I think it will serve you well in the long run to get an undergrad-level introduction to it first. Neurophysiology is also on the MCAT.

(At least, I would assume a Neurology course would primarily cover Neurophysiology and Neuroanatomy with some discussion of clinical syndromes as relevant to stress concepts. Correct me if I am wrong.)

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacology/Toxicology courses are classified as Health Science (not BCPM) according to AMCAS.

So go with Virology or Neurology. Preferrably Virology.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with either Neurology or Virology.

I am biased because I am a huge Neuroscience fan, but I would go for Neurology in your shoes. Med-school level Neurophysiology is challenging. I think it will serve you well in the long run to get an undergrad-level introduction to it first. Neurophysiology is also on the MCAT.

(At least, I would assume a Neurology course would primarily cover Neurophysiology and Neuroanatomy with some discussion of clinical syndromes as relevant to stress concepts. Correct me if I am wrong.)
I would avoid environmental toxicology because although it's listed under the bio dept, it's borderline. I took a course with the same title that is listed under the public health dept. and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be accepted. So just to be safe, I would go with either virology or neurology if I were you.

Research courses do count for BCPM. Lucky you, because those are usually free As
Thank you! I have another course called "STEC4500" which was my internship course. I had to do research about ribosomal 5S rRNA and write a paper about it. Do you think AMCAS will accept that into the BCPM GPA as well (if I provide a course description)?