Which of these random summer classes would be best to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind people of SDN,
I turn to you for some advice and recommendations.
I have the opportunity to take a class this summer for next to nothing through my work. However, because of my schedule, I can't accomodate any science courses. :mad: I could choose any of the following rather random classes, however. My question to you: what would help most with med school apps? I've listed the dept the course is offered in parens.

Medical Ethics (Philosophy)
Developmental Psych (Psych, obviously)
Hispanic Texts (Foreign Langs)
Modern American Novel (English)
Drugs and Society (Sociology)

I'm equally interested in all of them.

Or, I could suck it up and pay a couple grand to take a science class.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

PineappleGirl said:
Kind people of SDN,
I turn to you for some advice and recommendations.
I have the opportunity to take a class this summer for next to nothing through my work. However, because of my schedule, I can't accomodate any science courses. :mad: I could choose any of the following rather random classes, however. My question to you: what would help most with med school apps? I've listed the dept the course is offered in parens.

Medical Ethics (Philosophy)
Developmental Psych (Psych, obviously)
Hispanic Texts (Foreign Langs)
Modern American Novel (English)
Drugs and Society (Sociology)

I'm equally interested in all of them.

Or, I could suck it up and pay a couple grand to take a science class.

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would choose Modern American Novel or Hispanic Texts :)
But honestly, they do all sound interesting, and whether they look good to med school or not depends entirely on how enthusiastic you are about them in your PS/comments/interview. I think Psych courses can get a bit repetitive, but that's just my opinion.

COuld you maybe go to all of them on the first day of classes and decide which one you like best based on the prof/syllabus

I'd definately take a class. you don't have to take a science class unless u think u need to retake something or maybe take orgo. but depending on where you're at during the app process or even into it. If I was an underclassmen and didn't have to take a science course again, I'd take medical ethics (this will maybe help u when you're doing volunteer work and maybe give u something interesting to talk/think about for your interviews/essay questions in the future). If I was about to finish my junior year I'd think about taking med ethics or drugs and society. but that's just me! gluck with what u choose :) I took a med ethics class during the summer and it was pretty interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote for the novel class.

I'd take the ethics class.

thanks everyone for your responses.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

I would probably pick the ethics class.

I'd pick the "Drugs and Society" class. I've taken two undergraduate pharmacology classes, and learning about drugs is really interesting and relevent to one's medical career. The fact that this is a sociology class will make the class a little less science-based, and might therefore add a unique perspective that you probably won't receive int medical school.

I think it's good to branch out beyond directly medicine-related courses. The ethics, if you think it'll be a good class, is an exception here because it should give a lot to think about. Otherwise, I'd go for the novel or the Spanish class. You'll have plenty of time to learn about drugs and psych during med school, and not a lot of time to learn stuff that will make you a well-rounded person who can connect with patients.

Also, the novel class (my pick) in particular should stretch your critical thinking skills which is good in general and especially for the MCAT.