Which of these schools would you go to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futrdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you go if you had the choice of the University of Miami, Jefferson Medical College, George Washington University, Florida State University or University of South Florida?

Does anyone have any particular views on any of these schools? Please share them! :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

miami for sure.
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
Miami. I want to do Emergency Medicine or Surgery, and Jackson is the place to be.

zahque said:
i think most people on here would opt for GW, seeing as how so many people apply there. miami definitely has the best weather. i would personally opt for jefferson.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly how I feel, which is what has me so confused.
GW's hospital was very small. And the fact that the school isn't ranked made me wonder why. Some other negatives were that some of the students said they went there because they didn't get in anywhere else and the pass rate on step 1 is 93% (which isn't bad but is seemed kind of low compared to the other schools).
Jefferson really impressed me. What are your views on the school? Why would you choose it over Miami? Thanks!

futrdoc said:
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly how I feel, which is what has me so confused.
GW's hospital was very small. And the fact that the school isn't ranked made me wonder why. Some other negatives were that some of the students said they went there because they didn't get in anywhere else and the pass rate on step 1 is 93% (which isn't bad but is seemed kind of low compared to the other schools).
Jefferson really impressed me. What are your views on the school? Why would you choose it over Miami? Thanks!
I would definitely pick Miami over GW. It's cheaper (if you're in-state), the cost of living is less, the weather is better, and the clinical training is fantastic. I just went there last week and was very impressed. USF is also a good option (even cheaper). Jefferson I don't know much about, but I personally am not a fan of Philly.

MrBurns10 said:
I would definitely pick Miami over GW. It's cheaper (if you're in-state), the cost of living is less, the weather is better, and the clinical training is fantastic. I just went there last week and was very impressed. USF is also a good option (even cheaper). Jefferson I don't know much about, but I personally am not a fan of Philly.
I liked Philly, but the cold weather kinda scares me. How do you feel about UF in all this?

futrdoc said:
I liked Philly, but the cold weather kinda scares me. How do you feel about UF in all this?
Well, I agree with what you said in the Florida thread...UF has always had the reputation of being the best school in Florida, and I always thought that. Until I went to Miami. I think the clinical training you'd get in the 2nd busiest hospital in the nation, where you actually get to do complete physicals on real patients beginning in your first year, is probably better for you than training at a hospital in Gainesville that doesn't see half the stuff. I haven't seen UF because I haven't heard from them yet, but having been to Miami I think I may have changed my mind. But I'll get back to you about that if UF ever gets back to me :)

futrdoc said:

i love jefferson. i think the school has a good reputation and philadelphia is a great place to live. i know a few people who go there and have talked to people who work at the school.. you can't go wrong. miami is a great place to study too, but you'll never see anything resembling a snowflake, and while the weather there is paradise, i also enjoy some real winter and christmas feel to balance out the summertime.

MrBurns10 said:
Well, I agree with what you said in the Florida thread...UF has always had the reputation of being the best school in Florida, and I always thought that. Until I went to Miami. I think the clinical training you'd get in the 2nd busiest hospital in the nation, where you actually get to do complete physicals on real patients beginning in your first year, is probably better for you than training at a hospital in Gainesville that doesn't see half the stuff. I haven't seen UF because I haven't heard from them yet, but having been to Miami I think I may have changed my mind. But I'll get back to you about that if UF ever gets back to me :)

Yeah, UF is taking really long (in my opinion). I think more and more UM is pulling me in...I can't wait till Oct. 15th!!!

zahque said:
i love jefferson. i think the school has a good reputation and philadelphia is a great place to live. i know a few people who go there and have talked to people who work at the school.. you can't go wrong. miami is a great place to study too, but you'll never see anything resembling a snowflake, and while the weather there is paradise, i also enjoy some real winter and christmas feel to balance out the summertime.
Have u interviewed at jeff yet? I really LOVED philly.

futrdoc said:
Have u interviewed at jeff yet? I really LOVED philly.

nope, no interviews anywhere yet.. but i've only been complete as of around 9/15 at most of my schools, so i think i've got at least two more weeks before i'll start hearing things.

zahque said:
nope, no interviews anywhere yet.. but i've only been complete as of around 9/15 at most of my schools, so i think i've got at least two more weeks before i'll start hearing things.
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson has a reputation for being uber-competitive...just my 2 cents

As a Florida resident and UF undergrad, I would choose USF as my top chice among the schools you listed.

First of all, I'm not gonna go to a private med school if I get into any of my state school (except for FSU). I want to save that $40,000 - $80,000 difference of tuition (4 year total) by attending public med school.

Altough UF is ranked the highest in Florida, they are only #48 nationally.... I mean they were included in top 50 probably as a filler because there was no other school from FL on the top 50. Plus having lived here for 3 years, I can honestly tell you that Gainesville sucks.

Tampa in my opinion is a far better place to live in than Miami both population wise and living cost wise. So I choose USF.

Kiroro said:
Tampa in my opinion is a far better place to live in than Miami both population wise and living cost wise. So I choose USF.

Tampa is a better city to live in than Miami, and Gainesville...how do I put it? it is a special city :laugh:

Jefferson or Miami.

Jeff is one of my top choice. Great clincial school.

Miami has Jackson which is great for EM. I could also fly out and see my parents once a month.

Yep, Jeff or Miami. :thumbup:

AAAAHHH! I can't make up my mind.
I have come to one conclusion, though: I'm moving my FSU interview to after Oct. 15th. If I get into any of the other florida schools after Oct. 15th I will cancel FSU. Their rural med program and the fact that the school is so new doesn't really attract me.
Jeff and UM are the ones that really have me thinking. GW, at first was an attractive choice, but DC is VERY expensive and the hospital's very small. I haven't seen USF yet, so I'll wait till then to comment. As for UF, I haven't gotten an interview yet, but I feel as though my "UF is the best" bubble has been burst. Which is kinda good...

Kiroro said:
As a Florida resident and UF undergrad, I would choose USF as my top chice among the schools you listed.

First of all, I'm not gonna go to a private med school if I get into any of my state school (except for FSU). I want to save that $40,000 - $80,000 difference of tuition (4 year total) by attending public med school.

Altough UF is ranked the highest in Florida, they are only #48 nationally.... I mean they were included in top 50 probably as a filler because there was no other school from FL on the top 50. Plus having lived here for 3 years, I can honestly tell you that Gainesville sucks.

I was wondering, what do you think is the reason why USF is not ranked at all?
I went to UM undergrad, and down here the USF med program doesn't have a great rep. I mean everyone emphasizes UM and UF down here, I'm not sure just why.
Also, are you familiar with the pass rates for step 1 at these schools? Just wondering...
Thanks for your reply.

futrdoc said:
I was wondering, what do you think is the reason why USF is not ranked at all?
I went to UM undergrad, and down here the USF med program doesn't have a great rep. I mean everyone emphasizes UM and UF down here, I'm not sure just why.
Also, are you familiar with the pass rates for step 1 at these schools? Just wondering...
Thanks for your reply.

Hey Futrdoc,

The mainly reason I think USF is not ranked is that they are newer medical school, with very new research programs.

As for why is USF not regarded highly at UM, I don't know why either.... But one thing I can tell you is that both UM and USF are not really regarded well here at UF. It's probably just "Which school you are going" thing. Most of the premeds at UF seems like they would only go to UF if they had choice between UF or UM.

As far as ranking goes, I'm only aware of US news rankings from online:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdprank_brief.php
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

According this "reliable source" both USF and UM are not ranked at all.
So for me, it doesn't make sense to pay $10,000 per year more for tuition + more living cost to go attend medical school (U of Miami) in a super populated area. (Plus I don't speak any Spanish :p)

About the ranking, here is another interesting fact, below is the link for top national university:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

Ta taaa! UF is at 50. Which is really close to what they got for both medical school rankings posted above (rank 48). And these rankings virtually have no changes what so ever at least for the past 3 years since I'm a college student.

This really got me to think that they just added UF because US news thought

"hmmm, we already ranked all the pretty famous universities but we still need a few school to fill in the top 50.
Hey, Florida doesn't have very good universities but it's a really populated school and have quite a few universities.
Ok, we'll pick one from Florida, and that's gonna be UF cause it's the "university of" Florida, and the oldest :D"

I mean I maybe over thinking and kinda partial to USF because I had an interview there and they gave me good impressions but I really don't think I'm gonna switch my choice to UF even after my interview at UF which is this coming weekend. I'm tired of this small town. It is way over populated and has nothing going on other than a biggle university in the middle of it.

However, since you are already living in UM and I assume your family live close to Miami, so I understand that you would consider UM as top choice, after all it's a little cheaper than out state private med schools.

Good luck!!

Oh and the STEP 1 result, I remember USF saying most of the ppl pass which I assume is the same case for both UM and UF as well. As far as the score, I think they are right at the national average...I heard from a med student at USF on the interview that one student who took STEP1 last year got 287... or something like that. Personally I think it would totally depend on how much you study yourself.

i dont understand this, ...
how do you explain the fact that (according to the list of top med school on the post above) FSU is on 109 place and USF is not on the list at all?
does it make you wonder about the reliability of the list? what are they basing their judgement on? :confused:

baby4you said:
how do you explain the fact that (according to the list of top med school on the post above) FSU is on 109 place and USF is not on the list at all?
does it make you wonder about the reliability of the list? what are they basing their judgement on? :confused:

That list was for National Universities, not med schools.

I think your choice should depend on your career goals. I personally would choose GW, because their offerings are great for me. Their OSO office, the great joint MPH program, the proximity and ties to the WHO. It's got me hot. :) I want to do international work, so no wonder...

Out of your list I also applied to Jefferson. At this stage, I'm not going to waste my energy ranking the schools I applied to because to be honest, it's not up to me. I don't expect to get into all of them! I simply applied to schools which I would be thrilled to attend so that if I get into any one of them I'd be happy. And if I don't get into any of them, I'll try again next year. I didn't pick any 'safeties'. I'm totally just gambling and accepting that I might not be lucky this year.

Those are my thoughts.

baby4you said:

Yes, greendot is right.

The first two links are about Medical schools for clinical and research.
Both UM and USF are not ranked...

The third one is just overall ranking. Doesn't really involve med schools. And you are thinking this one as med school ranking....

futrdoc said:
Where would you go if you had the choice of the University of Miami, Jefferson Medical College, George Washington University, Florida State University or University of South Florida?

Does anyone have any particular views on any of these schools? Please share them! :) Thanks!
Personally none of those seem appealing to me, mainly because I would not want to live in Florida and I was not impressed with Philly or DC (lived in DC for two years), but if I had no other choice than one of those five, I'd go with GW. DC's not the best place to live but at least it's interesting. :thumbup:

Where did you apply? What are your top choices?