Which of these science majors would best prepare you for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of these science majors would prepare/be most useful for you in med school

• Genetics

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Microbiology

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Votes: 60 81.1%
  • Cellular Biology

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there is no "best" major for med school, however, I was wondering about this because I'm confused as to what science is mostly used in medical school. Any students in medical school that could give some advice based on the curriculum they are taking? I really want to be prepared as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering about this because I'm confused as to what science is mostly used in medical school.

Probably medicine.

You'll be prepared by taking the prereqs. If you want some redundancy, I guess a "physiology" or "human biology" major would be "best."

Lol... yea I know medicine is a science. Sorry for being a bit vague.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oops, didn't know you were going to post a poll. I guess either genetics (such a vast number of diseases are related to genetics) or molecular biology.

Realistically there's very little that'll prepare you for medical school in undergrad. I'd take which ever one of those above interest you the most. Btw since when is genetics in itself a major? I'd go with the molecular biology since it's good for histology and microbiology.

Doooooooooesn't matter. The way they teach undergrad science classes is just structured differently than how they teach med school classes. Do whichever one lets you take the classes that you are legitimately most interested in.

If you held a gun to my head and made me choose one, I guess I'd say BCMB just because at least at my school that meant a major where you took fewer "top-level" science classes and had more a more general focus. However, I really wouldn't base my decision on that.

Realistically there's very little that'll prepare you for medical school in undergrad. I'd take which ever one of those above interest you the most. Btw since when is genetics in itself a major? I'd go with the molecular biology since it's good for histology and microbiology.

For some reason, at my school its a major. It's also considered to be the hardest science major at my university from word that has been going around.

For some reason, at my school its a major. It's also considered to be the hardest science major at my university from word that has been going around.

Genetics is more of a Masters or PhD thing at my school.

NONE of them!!!!!!

Medical school isn't about how much basic science you know. The only way any of these degrees will be particularly helpful is if you do a joint masters or PhD program and incorporate basic science research into your clinical practice; and even then it won't make you better in the end, it will probably just make the process easier (ie a board certified geneticist is no better or worse if they studied genetics as an undergrad compared to if they hadn't, residency/fellowship is the great equalizer with regard to knowledge and skill).

Of all the basic sciences, the only ones that are used consistently in medicine at a basic level are anatomy, physiology, and microbiology, but even those subjects are a stretch to clinical practice.

The best opinion I could offer is to pick the subject that most interests you or is more in line with your specific future goals (ie MS, PhD). For advancement to a professional school, the whole undergraduate experience is to learn analysis and critical thinking skills, basically to learn how to receive, process, retain, and utilize information no matter what it specifically is (that’s why most schools don’t care what your degree is).

-senior medical student / admissions committee interviewer

fwiw, I've heard medical technology is a good mini-stepping stone to medical school coursework.

Personally, I found my biochemistry background very helpful for medical school. We've had classes made up almost entirely of biochemistry and it was really nice to have had exposure to the material before (read: less studying required).

The material won't help you much come clerkships, but I think it may make your MS1/MS2 years a bit easier.

TBH, if you can I'd just do a general Biology major. That way you can take a variety of classes and pretty much whatever you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone else's sentiments on the fact that major doesn't matter but I voted for BMB since I am a BMB major.

Of the options I would say biochem, but the best major to get you IN to medical school is the one you can get the highest GPA in.

I am taking Medical Terminology now. It is fun!

It is reviewing Anatomy and Physiology in a summary like way and teaching me "The Language of Medicine." The teacher doesn't make a big deal of it, but half of each chapter in the book talk about disease processes. Besides A and P and Nutrition, I don't know where else to see this sort of thing in undergrad.

fwiw, I've heard medical technology is a good mini-stepping stone to medical school coursework.

What is offered at your school? At my school, they scoff at the health science majors, but their classes closely parallel med school classes. They take physiology, microbio, anatomy, and a condensed, clinical version of biochem, as well as other courses that are more similar to the basic science curriculum in med school than anything else offered here.

Then again, why not take courses you'll never take again? You won't impress med schools with anything other than your GPA, and you won't get another chance to take courses that have nothing to do with medicine.

Yea, right now I am trying to dual major in BCMB and Arabic. I'll try to at least minor in Arabic, if I don't think I'll be able to major in it though. I like my intro to bio course that is going over a lot of biochemistry, and I reallly find it so interesting! All the life sciences are offered at my school, and I've also heard that microbiology was a good choice based on student's opinions. However, getting my GPA up higher is definitely top priority right now because that really matters.

I don't know what to say. I just majored in Biology (BA) because it has fewer requirements. When I completed all the required courses, I took upper-level courses such as Biochem, Microbio, Physio, Anatomy. All of those helped.

Underwater Basket Weaving! FTW!

You might even be better off taking a humanities major. I used to be a physiology major until I realized even a major in physiology won't adequately prepare me for medical school. I'm still interested in the topic, but I'll become an expert on it on the med school level regardless of if I studied it undergrad.

Which is why I think a science major is redundant, the pre-reqs are enough science ground-work for medical school. If you can succeed in them, I think it's a precursor that you can succeed in medical school with the right amount of work. Everything else is just a buffer or diminishing effects.

I switched my major to psychology (BS though not BA) because I think it broadens my general knowledge. You'll never be an expert in anything at a bachelor's level, you need like a masters or a PhD. So science majors are redundant if you want an M.D.

What is offered at your school? At my school, they scoff at the health science majors, but their classes closely parallel med school classes. They take physiology, microbio, anatomy, and a condensed, clinical version of biochem, as well as other courses that are more similar to the basic science curriculum in med school than anything else offered here.

Then again, why not take courses you'll never take again? You won't impress med schools with anything other than your GPA, and you won't get another chance to take courses that have nothing to do with medicine.

This is the whole point of undergrad. Stop worrying about being prepared for actual med school coursework and explore the world. I wish I would have known this a few years back...

I resent that chemistry is not an option.
humphhhhh

You might even be better off taking a humanities major. I used to be a physiology major until I realized even a major in physiology won't adequately prepare me for medical school. I'm still interested in the topic, but I'll become an expert on it on the med school level regardless of if I studied it undergrad.

Which is why I think a science major is redundant, the pre-reqs are enough science ground-work for medical school. If you can succeed in them, I think it's a precursor that you can succeed in medical school with the right amount of work. Everything else is just a buffer or diminishing effects.

I switched my major to psychology (BS though not BA) because I think it broadens my general knowledge. You'll never be an expert in anything at a bachelor's level, you need like a masters or a PhD. So science majors are redundant if you want an M.D.

Doubtful. You'll get the cursory, watered-down version that's enough to pass the boards.

I don't know what to say. I just majored in Biology (BA) because it has fewer requirements. When I completed all the required courses, I took upper-level courses such as Biochem, Microbio, Physio, Anatomy. All of those helped.

I would definitely think these would be helpful, but did you already start medical school (just wondering because your profile says pre-med)?

Doubtful. You'll get the cursory, watered-down version that's enough to pass the boards.

Okay, by master I meant more-so than the undergrad level. I guarantee the inflammation and disease physiology undergrad class won't prepare me for the boards on that particular topic. I'm still minoring physiology because (a) psych majors at my university require a minor, and (b) I'm still interested in the subject. But I figured I should do a major I'm more interested in, rather than trying to make it seem like I'm a science boy scout.

Bioengineering, although its not like im biased or anything ;)

Genetics major :hello:

I can't claim though that it will help you in med school since I haven't been there yet. Based on my classes, though it will help with problem solving skills and looking at the causes of stuff. But again, I haven't gone to med school so I can't claim its helpful then.

Just choose something you like. I did.

Getting a music major will make you smarter, more able to deal with patients, more sociable, better at sympathizing and empathizing, better at critical thinking, more popular, more likely to win a Nobel Prize during med school, approximately 24 times better looking, and infinitely more charming. It will also add 16 points to your MCAT score and 179 points to your Step 1 and 2 scores. Finally, a music major will ensure that you get better clerkship reviews than Jesus and will automatically pass your board certification exams. Basically, being a music major makes you a bazillion-gajillion times better than everyone else in every way you can imagine. It's true.

Getting a music major will make you smarter, more able to deal with patients, more sociable, better at sympathizing and empathizing, better at critical thinking, more popular, more likely to win a Nobel Prize during med school, approximately 24 times better looking, and infinitely more charming. It will also add 16 points to your MCAT score and 179 points to your Step 1 and 2 scores. Finally, a music major will ensure that you get better clerkship reviews than Jesus and will automatically pass your board certification exams. Basically, being a music major makes you a bazillion-gajillion times better than everyone else in every way you can imagine. It's true.

Plus you get to wear bow-ties.

Genetics is more of a Masters or PhD thing at my school.

My school has a "Molecular Genetics" major. I haven't heard a ton about it though, so I'm not sure how difficult it is or how well it prepares you.

I sat in on an MS1 neuro class last week and it was an exact copy of a neuro grad course I had taken the semester before as part of a neuro undergrad program. It was the same prof, slides and even jokes he was using.

I sat in on an MS1 neuro class last week and it was an exact copy of a neuro grad course I had taken the semester before as part of a neuro undergrad program. It was the same prof, slides and even jokes he was using.

You think professors have time to think up new jokes?

:rolleyes: