Which of These Summer Opportunities Would You Choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bretzel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am probably getting a bit ahead of myself since I haven't been accepted to one of these two programs, but I wanted some input either way....

Opportunity 1:
Do stroke research for an NIH SIP....I'm really interested in stroke research, so this would be pretty cool. This is in Bethesda...I've been to DC before....$2300 stipend per month

Opportunity 2: (Haven't been accepted, but made it two final round so far)
Work for National Space Biomedical Research Institute...I'd be conducting research in Space Medicine or something similar.....I'm a physics major, so it would make me feel all warm and tingly to say I worked for NASA...this is in Houston...I've never been to Texas... ~$2500 per month in wages

Not sure if the NIH stipend gets taxed....money is pretty similar either way...

I'm attending medical school in the fall, so this has nothing to do with looking impressive to an adcom....I just want some opinions

Members don't see this ad.

Both sound amazing, but I would go for the space medicine. Could make for a really interesting interview converstaion, and that type of thing makes a candidate stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would choose to do the stroke research, because it interests me more. But i recommend that you go with NASA. It would be much cooler for you. Either way..good luck !

If you HAVE to do either one, do the space thingie. If you don't HAVE to do one, I say stay far away from anything health related this summer. Go to the beach, mow lawns, travel, etc. -- but this is only my myopic view of things.

NIH SIP is the best of the best for resumes, no doubt,

But Space Medicine would definitely make you stand out.

Don't too much about choosing a route,

Either one would show adcoms what you're all about.

I would choose neither and just chill, but that's just me.:)

i hear texas isnt really the place you want to be in the summer (hotttt) for the most part. but otherwise i think it would be cool to check out houston. dc is alright i guess, but ive been there a million times already from school trips in secondary/primary school and conferences and stuff so thats actually a negative... for me at least.

plus space medicine sounds awesome! a great new experience that ties in w/ your major and would definitely stand out as a unique experience for a premed.

The OP is already going to medical school in the fall, if you guys missed that.

I'd go with the space research, it sounds like something you won't ever have the chance to do again. You can always work in stroke research after your first year if you feel like you have an interest in neurology/neurosurgery but I think you'll want to do something non-medicine related before you start...

Since you've already got your other career plan in line (medical school), I would just go for the one that sounds like more fun. It seems like the space medicine one appels to you more so I would go for that.

The OP is already going to medical school in the fall, if you guys missed that.

I'd go with the space research, it sounds like something you won't ever have the chance to do again. You can always work in stroke research after your first year if you feel like you have an interest in neurology/neurosurgery but I think you'll want to do something non-medicine related before you start...
yea, i caught that, but im a premed.. so.. it would stand out for me.

and i guess my last sentence was a little suspect, but OP would still be premed during the program and it's post-bacc experience so i think OP could put it on a resume or CV in the future for other apps and it would look cool.

So I am probably getting a bit ahead of myself since I haven't been accepted to one of these two programs, but I wanted some input either way....

Opportunity 1:
Do stroke research for an NIH SIP....I'm really interested in stroke research, so this would be pretty cool. This is in Bethesda...I've been to DC before....$2300 stipend per month

Opportunity 2: (Haven't been accepted, but made it two final round so far)
Work for National Space Biomedical Research Institute...I'd be conducting research in Space Medicine or something similar.....I'm a physics major, so it would make me feel all warm and tingly to say I worked for NASA...this is in Houston...I've never been to Texas... ~$2500 per month in wages

Not sure if the NIH stipend gets taxed....money is pretty similar either way...

I'm attending medical school in the fall, so this has nothing to do with looking impressive to an adcom....I just want some opinions

Go option 2. It will give you life long memories. The NIH thing would be fine, but you will be used more as cheap labor and not offer as much for memories.

Wow, it's hard to pass up an opportunity with the NIH, for future resumes, even if you are already accepted. I personally would go with that, especially since the stroke research interests me more. But you may not ever get an opportunity like this again, and if it would make you happy to work for NASA, go for it.

Why is everyone jumping on option 2?
I don't think it's that simple to do,
The NIH's program could be fun too,
And what I said about it's resume building was true.

I have to clarify my statement by saying that I am an employee of the NIH. That being said, Bethesda has unbelievable networking opportunities. They also have some super, and I mean super competitive residencies if you are interested in extremely rare cancers, clinical trials, and tough cases. People who do well in these type experiences DO get invited back during their summers between M1 and M2 year. The money is taxed, however you can save up a significant amount of money over the summers. I don't condone only doing opportunities for the money, but since you brought up salaries, then I figured it was important to you.

Also, if you want to ever do grant writing, work at an academic institution, anywhere NIH is on you CV is a feather in your cap. That being said, make sure that whatever you do, incorporate some time OFF before you start school in the fall. You may not need it, but better to not need it and have had it than vise versa. Congrats on your acceptance, and I believe that either option would be great.

Go option 2. It will give you life long memories. The NIH thing would be fine, but you will be used more as cheap labor and not offer as much for memories.

Word, plus its ****ing NASA, I can't think of anything cooler in the world then working for NASA. another thing to consider, Bethesda/DC blows(way too much traffic, everyone is an a-hole, and there is nothing to do).

got into the NASA program today!!! pretty sure I'm going to do it instead of the stroke research.....any last thoughts?

the guy i'll be working under has done research in the past regarding bone loss while in space, so it is still very medical, which alleviates one of my main original concerns

p.s. there is a picture of a frickin' space shuttle on the acceptance form I have to fill out!!

I do space-medicine research. It's awesome. google "space cycle". That's the lab I work in ( we do other things too).