Which of these two is best? For MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took a (forced) 4 year break from school so I am far removed from my core sciences. Now I'm scrambling to take the MCAT before the '15 change. Is it best to take a 4 month Princeton Review course then right afterwards a 6-month EK course before MCAT to really refresh or would it be best to take the 6 month EK course, take the MCAT then do the 4 month Princeton Review course and take MCAT again (if needed)?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment on the EK courses. I did an online PR course prior to taking the MCAT. However, I hardly ever "attended" the online lectures since they were between 10pm-1am in my time zone and I was working full time. In-fact mostly what I relied on was reading the PR content review books. I read every page and took notes on everything.

Okay, so some more background information is probably necessary to show why I am qualified to speak on this. I took most of my pre-req science courses between 6-10 years ago. However, I did re-take several upper division bio classes and o-chem II within 2 years of my MCAT sitting. Mostly this was for grade improvement rather than for MCAT preparation. In-fact, as I'm sure you've read elsewhere, upper division classes are not required for the MCAT (however, biochem or cell bio may be helpful). Needless to say, my science knowledge was quite rusty.

Now, back to the MCAT prep. I'll be very straight forward. The older a person's science knowledge is, the tougher the MCAT preparation will be. You have to be willing to put in a lot of hard work! And I mean it! If you are unable or unwilling to put in the time, I would extend out your studying to 6 months. And this may not even be enough. In-fact, if you are unwilling to do what is necessary to get the score you want, I doubt any amount of time is enough.

When I studied throughout the week, I did 1-day of Chem, 1-day of Bio, 1-day of o-chem, 1-day of physics, and 1-day of VR. Other days were for FL practice tests, or more practice in subjects I felt weak in. In addition to reading every page of the content review books, I also did every stand alone and passage problem in the PR Hyperlearning science and verbal workbook. During my studying, I felt I needed more practice so I also did every problem in EK 1001 chemistry, EK 1001 physics, and EK 101 in MCAT VR passages.

One suggestion: Learn which VR method you prefer early in the game. I tried using PR verbal strategy and kept doing poorly. I stuck with it for too long, thinking if I only practice it will get better. It didn't! About 2 weeks before the actual MCAT, I switched to EK's method and my score improved. I may have been able to improve it more. We'll never know. However, everyone is different so my main point on VR is like I said above, find what works for you early on.

Now for FL practice tests. It is essential that you do as many as you can! But since there is a finite number of practice tests available, don't waste them. Best to do them when you feel somewhat comfortable with your content knowledge. Don't do more than 1 or 2 a week. The most important part of the FL tests isn't so much the content on the test, but learning the skills necessary to take a FL test. What I mean by that is learning to time and pace yourself, and how to cut your loses and move on. Actually that latter skill is the hardest, yet most essential thing to learn. It's too easy for us OCD pre-meds to stare at a problem and say "dammit, I can figure it out." DON'T DO THAT; you won't finish in time. If you do encounter a problem like that, mark it, move on, and come back to it if you have time. Seriously, half the battle with the MCAT is learning how to just take this dang test! Personally I was able to get in 6 FL tests prior to the test. Most of them were the AAMC FL. Some were the PR FL.

Now for the disclaimer. Everyone is different. What worked for me may not necessarily work for you. However, do your research, and don't let others make the decision for you on how to best study. You, and you alone know best your learning style. In the end you may need a combination of methods to best prepare yourself. That is perfectly fine. Think about it: If one test prep company was better than all the rest, everyone would be using it. Obviously that is not the case. And above all else, be willing to work hard. You have to ask yourself, what are you willing to sacrifice to obtain the score you want. But scoring well is possible. In my first and only sitting, I scored a 36 (12-11-13). It's not the highest here on SDN, but in the scheme of things, it is still a competitive score.

Reactions: 2 users
Took a (forced) 4 year break from school so I am far removed from my core sciences. Now I'm scrambling to take the MCAT before the '15 change. Is it best to take a 4 month Princeton Review course then right afterwards a 6-month EK course before MCAT to really refresh or would it be best to take the 6 month EK course, take the MCAT then do the 4 month Princeton Review course and take MCAT again (if needed)?
Do NOT plan to re-take the MCAT. Do whatever you can to prepare adequately so you only have to take it once. If you are not prepared by the date you set to take it, delay and set a new date, then make sure you are ready by that new date.

Taking two review courses is probably overkill. Self-studying to refresh the concepts in your mind, then taking a review course, then taking as many practice exams as you can leading up the the MCAT should be mroe than enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to hijack this thread real quick. I have found that I learn material best when I read the information out of a textbook. Looking at class notes and power points does very little for me. I like to sit down and read through the chapters and sometimes write big clear notes on plain printer paper so I'm not constricted with lines. Is this style (self teach kind of) conducive to effectively studying with the SN2ed 3 month schedule I plan on going for? Thanks!

I'm going to hijack this thread real quick. I have found that I learn material best when I read the information out of a textbook. Looking at class notes and power points does very little for me. I like to sit down and read through the chapters and sometimes write big clear notes on plain printer paper so I'm not constricted with lines. Is this style (self teach kind of) conducive to effectively studying with the SN2ed 3 month schedule I plan on going for? Thanks!
Yes

I really loved the EK question books (1001 questions in Physics, Bio, Orgo...) to supplement my other learning. The books are pretty light so I would carry one around basically all the time and do questions between classes, on the bus, when waiting for appointments, etc. Also, I signed up for two emailed question of the day services - I'm not saying the questions are the best, but I benefited from seeing MCAT style questions every day regardless of whether I was going to do real studying that day.

I'd recommend against doing 2 review courses. That said it depends how you learn best, and if classes are what work for you then go for it. I personally recommend Berkeley and the SN2 plan - maybe buy those instead of paying for the 2nd review course?