Which of these UCs would be best for a premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UC Santa Barbara
UC Davis
UC Riverside
UC Santa Cruz
(also got into Cal Poly SLO but I know that UC grads have better chances)

I'm transferring from a community college. I was accepted at these and waitlisted at UC Irvine and UC San Diego. Didn't apply to UCLA or UCB.

I'm really leaning toward UCSB though I know UCD and UCR both have medical schools. I liked the UCSB campus quite a bit more and think the curriculum is a little more challenging, however there might not be as many opportunities to build my resume. UCSD and UCI were my top choices. If I get in off the waitlist, I would strongly consider going to one of those. But I don't plan on getting off the waitlist...

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend on your learning style.
Of these, only UCR medical school has a strong commitment to their own undergrad students (about half of their seats go to UCR students). Of course UCSC and UCSB don't have their own med school...
There are no "bad" UC's. Go where you will be supported best.

It will depend on your learning style.
Of these, only UCR medical school has a strong commitment to their own undergrad students (about half of their seats go to UCR students). Of course UCSC and UCSB don't have their own med school...
There are no "bad" UC's. Go where you will be supported best.

I vote UC Davis because Sacramento has several pre-med opportunities as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I didn't manage to get into UCR's medical school however, I fear that my chances wouldn't be too great elsewhere. It's the lesser known UC...

The ones with medical schools if you have a choice. I'd narrow it to UCR or UCD

I will be accused of bias, but it's Davis. I have heard that UCI shares some of advantages of Davis, but I'm not a SoCal guy so can't claim to know.

Davis has marginally less prestige than UCLA/UCB, but you will get a much higher GPA if you go there (I think it's generally acknowledged 0.4+ points, saw this somewhere else). While we do have big classes just like those schools, it's easier to get resources to yourself here I believe because it's a tick less competitive. If you're not afraid to let your ambition show and act in your self-interest, you can suck up disproportionate resources that you desperately need just because you are better-utilizing them than other students (TA hours, review session questions, lab positions, etc etc). I don't think this is true of UCLA/UCB and understand that these places are crapshoots where a lot of students who are perfectly capable get pushed down as result of the numbers game (exams designed to have normal distribution among capable sampling of students by prioritizing minute details).

It's also a plus that you don't need a car here and you get a bit of built-in exercise on the bike. I think that Davis is more interested in actually increasing the number of eventual-MDs among their undergraduate population, while UCLA and UCB are more focused on their national/international profile and research than on-the-ground employment/career prospects for students.

Bottom line: UCLA/UCB and probably UCSD would be big mistakes in that, while it may all work out anyway, by going there you just increased the difficulty of eventually achieving MD acceptance, and that is something you would regret. It's hard enough.

Edit: I'm a bay area guy and you don't want to go to UCSC because the culture is all wrong for pounding it out for 4 years and you don't need to be around that. I would argue that UCR (along with UCM) are known pretty broadly "the bad ones." Avoid.

I will be accused of bias, but it's Davis. I have heard that UCI shares some of advantages of Davis, but I'm not a SoCal guy so can't claim to know.

Davis has marginally less prestige than UCLA/UCB, but you will get a much higher GPA if you go there (I think it's generally acknowledged 0.4+ points, saw this somewhere else). While we do have big classes just like those schools, it's easier to get resources to yourself here I believe because it's a tick less competitive. If you're not afraid to let your ambition show and act in your self-interest, you can suck up disproportionate resources that you desperately need just because you are better-utilizing them than other students (TA hours, review session questions, lab positions, etc etc). I don't think this is true of UCLA/UCB and understand that these places are crapshoots where a lot of students who are perfectly capable get pushed down as result of the numbers game (exams designed to have normal distribution among capable sampling of students by prioritizing minute details).

It's also a plus that you don't need a car here and you get a bit of built-in exercise on the bike. I think that Davis is more interested in actually increasing the number of eventual-MDs among their undergraduate population, while UCLA and UCB are more focused on their national/international profile and research than on-the-ground employment/career prospects for students.

Bottom line: UCLA/UCB and probably UCSD would be big mistakes in that, while it may all work out anyway, by going there you just increased the difficulty of eventually achieving MD acceptance, and that is something you would regret. It's hard enough.

Well, what about UCSB and UCR? Those arguments hold up for those schools as well...

Well, what about UCSB and UCR? Those arguments hold up for those schools as well...
UCR/UCM are known to be the lower-tier UCs. I would argue distinction between lower-tier and everything else is much more meaningful than upper-tier/mid-tier. That basically rules out UCR if you have other options.

I would say similar thing about UCSB to UCSC. The campuses are structured similarly (campus up on a hill overlooking beach town, campus are not self-contained town, quality of life much worse without car) and I would say that the disadvantages of UCSC culture not being a good fit with straight-and-narrow pre-med outlook are also true of UCSB, just substitute hippie/postmodernists with frat people.

I would say that, after Davis, UCI is best option>>>>>>UCSB>>UCSC

What UCI (from what I understand, not super familiar in person) and UCD have in common is that they are a bit more workmanlike in a way that is similar to UCB, whereas UCSB/UCSC are good schools in their own right, but have a tendency to attract people who want to have "the college experience." UCD/UCI share the good academic atmosphere of Berkeley without the grade deflation. UCD is far more convenient than UCB or UCI (you will find yourself cursing inconveniences) which makes UCD definitively best option.

You seem to really like UCD. I personally wouldn't rank it above UCI or UCSD.

I think what I care about most are opportunities to build my lackluster resume and the campus environment. I personally did not enjoy the UCD campus and considered it outdated. I'm sure it's a problem that is common to all UCs, but I've heard that getting classes at UCD is a real annoyance, and that you might not be able to graduate in 2 years because of it (some classes that you need are only offered once every other year, waitlists are often several hundred people long, etc)

You seem to really like UCD. I personally wouldn't rank it above UCI or UCSD.

I think what I care about most are opportunities to build my lackluster resume and the campus environment. I personally did not enjoy the UCD campus and considered it outdated. I'm sure it's a problem that is common to all UCs, but I've heard that getting classes at UCD is a real annoyance, and that you might not be able to graduate in 2 years because of it (some classes that you need are only offered once every other year, waitlists are often several hundred people long, etc)
I would recommend Davis or San Diego. Proximity and association to medical schools/hospitals provide a huge range of opportunities. Irvine campuses are too spread apart and UCSC/UCSB don’t have programs.

Last edited:
Attend the school that feels like the best fit. If you do well, have good ECs, and a score well on the MCAT, any of these schools can lead you where you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, among the choices you have now, UCD is the most respected of the UC's (even on the east coast) and should give you plenty of opportunities for research, clinical exposure and clinical and non-clinical volunteering. If you get into UCSD, then I think the advantage would be to go there, for many reasons.

Upsides of UCSB: easy to get into research (due to minimal grad students), no waitlist for hospital volunteering and decent clinical opportunities (there are some outstanding ones but they're competitive), people here do well on the MCAT, beach/fun atmosphere (very outdoorsy), good advisors

Cons: sometimes it feels like the scheduling is built to work against you in the bio majors, party school rep although its changing, some of the very best clinical opportunities are prohibitively competitive

Edit: at risk of losing confidentiality a bit but you can PM me for more details as I am a current student (and feel I'm doing well)

Reactions: 1 users
@UCDavispremed92 Please stop making these comments about UCR if you dont know what you are talking about... its posts like these that make incoming UCR students weary that reputation will affect their chances at medical school. This is just absolutely false!!

Friend of mine got into USC this cycle with a 3.9/520 from UCR, i got 10 II's from UCR with a 3.72/512 there is NOTHING wrong with UCR....

I've just seen this list..This is what I've been looking for: https://www.aamc.org/download/493728/data/factstablea2.pdf

If not UCLA or UCB, UCSD seems to be the one to get students into Med School. I'm not even seeing UCSB....So I guess it's Davis unless I get off the SD waitlist...
Ucsb is on the list a little below ucr. Its not a premed factory but our applicants that maintain a high gpa do very well. Of students in the honors college 3.6 or higher gpa, we have an 80% acceptance rate with one cycle.

Another vote for UCD. I chose UCD when I transferred. I felt like I could get a competitive GPA while also having access to opportunities. It was also important for me to have somewhat of a social life but also not be at a super party school. In the end of the day I was focused on graduating and applying to med school.

- I transferred there and felt it was rigorous and REALLY helped with the MCAT. I knew all the content for the bio section because my classes at Davis were challenging and required a lot of critical thinking. Make sure to not underestimate the courses though, I had an adjustment period (got lots of B's) and had to change my study techniques.
- I had really great professors and a few of them are also part of faculty at UCDSOM. I don't think your chances are better for their medical school, but you'll have a lot of opportunities that will make you competitive for any medical school.
- Coming from socal I did not want to commute. I wrote off UCI and UCSD because housing is expensive near campus and most of my friends had to commute in. Riding a bike was a great way to get exercise and stay in shape.
- I like the small college town feel of Davis. If you want more of a party scene you could join a frat or work at the Coho which is the campus food court that is completely student run (they're party animals). The bars are also busy on Wed/Thurs, not so much on the weekend. I went to SF a few times each school year to visit bay area friends, go out, attend concerts, etc.
- There's a really nice peaceful vibe to Davis that I enjoyed. I liked the surrounding nature and it helped me de-stress and stay focused. Coming from socal I also liked the winters here (cool, rainy, very green).
- No gunner vibes. Each class had a FB group specific to the professor/course/quarter and everyone shared resources and helped each other out on study guides. We did a lot of collective work. Not sure if other UC's have this system.
- Because there's few gunners you can literally do anything you want. The competition isn't as fierce as SD (Irvine might be more gunner from what I heard from friends). I found a research position and I was the board for a club within a few weeks of starting lol. All the internships are online in our student portal so it's super easy to cherry pick and apply to internships. There were plenty research opportunities with the medical center and the med school (both clinical and lab).
- Sacramento (capitol) is close by and you can do internships with the government. I got involved with the CADPH which was really cool.

UCSB/UCSC - Doesn't have a med school, party vibes, not as focused classmates.
UCSD - Gunner and difficult to get good grades and research (sometimes).
UCI - Heard it is gunner, commuter/suburban school, not sure if collaborative.
UCR - Similar to Davis but not as many resources. Riverside is also boring.

UCD - Strong academics, lots of resources, get to live close to campus, peaceful but can also find party scenes for the easy weeks.

So imo UCD>UCI>UCSB/UCR>UCSD>UCSC

Phew that was long! Best of luck :)

Last edited:
go wherever is cheapest and will make you happy (cheap, family/friends nearby, city vs suburban vs rural, etc)

I went to UCSD and absolutely loved my experience there. I don't think there's a city in California that can compete with what SD can offer a young adult besides LA. There are endless opportunities to have fun here and in terms of pre-med opportunities, they're practically handed to you.

Totally anecdotal evidence but during my interview trail last cycle, the UCs that produced the most interviewed students were LA, Berkeley and SD in that order. The only exception was at UCI where I met a ton of UCI grads, 2nd only to LA.

Though I'm not too fond of the school's appearance or the area, it does sound like UCD is the route I will have to take if I don't get into UCSD. If I get off the UCSD waitlist - I'm going 100%.

Edit: at risk of losing confidentiality a bit but you can PM me for more details as I am a current student (and feel I'm doing well)

Hey - I can't PM you, but I would like to hear more about UCSB opportunities if you can PM me. Does the school offer MCAT help? Resume help? Are research opportunities available? Is it easy to get into the hospital in the area as a shadow, a volunteer or a scribe (or other)? Is the Bio department nice and are the professors helpful and easy to get to know? Is it possible to get away from the partiers and to find a more academic environment? Thanks!

As someone who went to UCD, I don't know if I would call it easy, although I did have what is considered a pretty hard major. A lot of the science majors have pretty low average GPAs (~3.0-3.2), at least when I went there.

Overall, I liked it as a school, and the free buses make transportation nice! However, there is very little guidance there, but I think this is common among all UCs.

They do not favor their undergrads for their med school, but I did end up getting accepted to an OOS medical school with fairly average/lowish stats, so the reputation may have helped me.

Good luck with your decision! I think pick where you think you would be the happiest, but don't expect any to be easy!

At UCSB: They don't walk you through anything in particular for the MCAT although we have a very helpful medical school advisor you can meet who'd help you make your study schedule and choose when to take it. Volunteering is very easy at the local hospitals and a good experience. We have a formal shadowing program for 3rd and 4th years which is supposed to be an amazing experience across multiple specialties. We do have scribe jobs nearby although I don't know a ton about it. I have recently applied for one at a local private practice and interviewed.

The bio department is outstanding and the professors in my experience have been wonderful although big class sizes (I assume same relative to other UC's). The parties are all off campus in the town adjacent so you're not going to be living next to it unless you choose to be. The party school rep is outdated, we don't party more than other schools. We do have active greek life but its only 10% of the school (counting professional). I don't think I have any friends who are in the social frats/sororities just because there aren't many in stem.

Its harder than you'd think to keep up your grades here but so far I don't have any complaints about premed here particularly. Biochem in the third year though does kinda push people towards taking a gap year.

Research here is definitely a plus as the labs are eager to have 2nd year or older bio students. I also forgot to mention that the big class sizes die down a TON after 2nd year.