which one has higher M.P? Kr or Ne?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navneetdh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont understand which one will have higher m.p

In the destroyer they say Kr has stronger dispersion forces therefore higher m.p.

But I thought since Kr is much bigger the nucleus of 2 molecules will be further apart and therefore held more weakly vs. Ne so Ne. will have stronger interactions with other molecules in the container.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont understand which one will have higher m.p

In the destroyer they say Kr has stronger dispersion forces therefore higher m.p.

But I thought since Kr is much bigger the nucleus of 2 molecules will be further apart and therefore held more weakly vs. Ne so Ne. will have stronger interactions with other molecules in the container.

MP is about INTERmolecular forces (london dispersion), not INTRAmolecular forces (bond strength)

Members don't see this ad :)
MP is about INTERmolecular forces (london dispersion), not INTRAmolecular forces (bond strength)

so umm is it like since they are bigger they meet other atoms more frequently and therefore have more interactions therefore stronger dispersion forces???:confused:

so umm is it like since they are bigger they meet other atoms more frequently and therefore have more interactions therefore stronger dispersion forces???:confused:

Bigger means their electron clouds are larger and more disperse, meaning they are more POLARIZABLE (did i spell that correctly? lol), which gives you larger london DISPERSION forces...