Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which one is better? .....need some advice.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Fooman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's the situation. For my recommendation letters, most schools require one from either DO or MD or an employer, which in my case, the ER coordinator at the hosptial I work at.

I have shadowed a DO for a couple of weeks. He was very friendly and more than happy to write a letter and I have reason to believe that his letter would be good, not necessarily a strong one though.

I also have a MD from where I work who offered to write a recommendation letter for me. I have worked side-by-side with him several times, but because the ER setting, I don't get to spend a lot of time with him. Once again, I believe he will write me a good one, possibly a strong one though I'm not sure.

And then there's the ER coordinator/charge nurse who supervises everyone on the same shift I work on. And since she's supervising, she's seen me capable of doing a lot and having the qualities to be an excellent physician. She has also known me for a year and I feel she will be able to write me a strong letter....however, her title is RN which I'm not sure will be as favored upon over a letter from a MD or DO in the eyes of the admissions committee.

So what do you think I should do?

2. KDocGirl

KDocGirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think for D.O. schools, it would benefit you best to have a STRONG rec from a D.O. D.O. schools want to see that you are very familiar with the D.O. philosophy and how one interacts with his/her patients. Ask if the D.O. can write a strong rec on your behalf. Don't just ask for any old rec. I made sure when asking all my profs and a D.O. that they felt strongly about my ability and success in osteopathy, THEN if they could write a rec for me. The R.N., although it's nice that it would be strong, isn't going to have as much strength in your application as one from a D.O. The M.D. is secondary to a D.O. rec, just because it doesn't say much about your ability in the expertise of osteopathy. I hope this info helps. Good luck and btw, my recs have greatly helped in my success as an applicant. :)

3. andrea

10+ Year Member

Hey Fooman! Double check on the schools that you're applying to, because most osteopathic schools require a DO rec. So I would definitely ask him to write you a letter. But why not also get the MD or nurse to send one in addition to the first? A strong letter can never hurt you. For me, I only used an employer rec and was accepted, but I would have had more choices in schools if I used a DO one. Best wishes!

4. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, DON'T use a nurse for a recommendation. Not good. Use EITHER MD or DO only. No DC's, No OD's, No DDS's maybe a PhD in addition.

5. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

The MOST important thing to remember, though (even more so than the title of who writes it) is how well this person knows you. They want a character reference, not an impressive title. I used a letter from an Osteopathic Neurologist and one from an Optometrist (my employer who knew me VERY well), in addition to the Pre-Med Advisory letter from school. I could have gotten a letter from the President of my state's Osteopathic Association, or a letter from one of several state representatives or state senators (patients of mine at the time), but they did not know me as well. The CONTENT of the letter is much more important than the title at the bottom, so make sure it is someone who knows you well and LIKES you, too!! Then, worry about which title to pick once you have established this first criterion, not the other way around.

P.S.--If you are not sure if their letter will be strong, ask! You can say, "I was wondering if you would be willing to write me a strong letter of recommendation for my application to (your school)?" Then they can easily back out without feeling much pressure.

6. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So far, I've only received secondaries from Des Moines, COMP, and KCOM. Neither of the schools directly specify that they need a DO letter, but rather a physician in general or an employer.

JOHNDO: I totally agree with you. That's why I feel the charge nurse/ER director would be a better person to write it since she knows me better than the DO or the MD. I've been working in the ER as a clinical assistant for over a year compared to the few days I spent with the DO. Now, I also have worked with the ER MD, but like I said, since it's the ER, it is difficult to work with JUST one doctor since I have to assist other doctors including the nurses.

However, I believe it is the general belief that a person with a MD or DO title is more favored upon from the admissions committee perspective.

I called KCOM and the admissions officer was hesistant to give me advice regarding this manner.

7. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Title IS important...and yes they have to know you, I would assume that would go without saying.
    If the letter is from your a naturopath that was handcuffed to your side for a year...it still wouldn't be acceptible, regardless of content. They want to know FROM doctors if you would make a good doctor.

If it was a MD/DO that you shadowed for only a week, that would be great.

8. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Foo,

Why don't you submit the DO letter as your official letter and the other two letters as "supporting letters"? Would that hurt?

Are you also having Linda Luck write you a committee letter or are you going for individual profs?

Good luck.

9. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Different schools have different policies on accepting more supplemental letters other than the required ones.

I know NOVA would accept supplemental ones, but I haven't received their secondary app. yet. Des Moines will not accept supp. letters. I'm not sure about KCOM and COMP, but I will find out.