Which one is more competitive...medical or dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mstoothlady2012

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Hi guys just out of curosity wanted to ask a question...i asked many people but none of them were able to answer this question so thought to ask you guys...sorry if this has been discussed on SDN before..

Which school is more competitive to get into? dental or medical?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools. Far less d-schools than m-schools, and more and more people in increasing amounts are starting to realize just what an amazing job it is to be a dentist.

Question: Anyone know the total number of applicants for last year's cycle that is verifable (URL to ADEA, the AADSAS booklet?). Where can I find this information?

:) Hi guys just out of curosity wanted to ask a question...i asked many people but none of them were able to answer this question so thought to ask you guys...sorry if this has been discussed on SDN before..

Thanks!

To be perfectly honest, it is really vetinary medicine which is the most competitive. However, I think the stats would show that percentage wise, medical school is still slightly more competitive to get into than dental school though it seems like the gap is closing.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be perfectly honest, it is really vetinary medicine which is the most competitive. However, I think the stats would show that percentage wise, medical school is still slightly more competitive to get into than dental school though it seems like the gap is closing.

That wasn't the question, but I agree with you. If you want to talk about competitive it goes like this:
vet > dent > med > law/business

allopathic schools are more competitive in terms of required stats compared to dental.

allopathic schools are more competitive in terms of required stats compared to dental.

When you say "required stats" do you mean requirements to apply or the requirements of matriculated students?

I'm speaking more in terms of the statistics needed to get in, AS WELL as taking into account # of applicants per # of seats available.

That wasn't the question, but I agree with you. If you want to talk about competitive it goes like this:
vet > dent > med > law/business

Pharmacy school is pretty difficult to get into too.

Pharmacy school is pretty difficult to get into too.

Didn't know that. To be honest, dentistry is the only thing that has been on my radar, and I only know that vet is really difficult to get into b/c my older sister is a Vet. I'm only interested in being a dentist so I have no first hand experience with the other applications.

Out of curiosity, where would you place pharmacy in my above equation (and it's ok to use equal signs as well)

Vet > MD > DDS > DO > Law > Pharm Statistically from the last bunch of accept. rates I looked at. One DO school near me has a class AVERAGE of 3.2!!!! They accept 200 students!

Vet > MD > DDS > DO > Law > Pharm Statistically from the last bunch of accept. rates I looked at. One DO school near me has a class AVERAGE of 3.2!!!!

What is the breakdown in terms of (# of applicants) / (# of available seats) ? Does anyone know?

Vet > MD > DDS > DO > Law > Pharm

I definitely agree here, but I believe part of the reason getting into vet school is so competitive is because there aren't that many vet schools out there, so it's kind of an unfair comparison.

As for med school specifically, I definitely think it's more competitive than dental school, b/c they expect much higher stats and community involvement than dental school. Also I personally think that the MCAT is MUCH more difficult than the DAT.

When you say "required stats" do you mean requirements to apply or the requirements of matriculated students?

I'm speaking more in terms of the statistics needed to get in, AS WELL as taking into account # of applicants per # of seats available.

stats required in terms of getting in. I'm not taking into account the number of seats available. There are less dental schools in comparison to med schools but the number of pre-med applicants is also relatively higher in comparison to pre-dent applicants.

I definitely agree here, but I believe part of the reason getting into vet school is so competitive is because there aren't that many vet schools out there, so it's kind of an unfair comparison.

That's the whole point. Why do you think I have asked twice for a breakdown of #applicants versus #seats ?

One reason why Dental is extremely competitive is because there are a heck of a lot less dental schools out there than med schools. Inherently this makes it more competitive than if there were more seats.

Members don't see this ad :)

As for med school specifically, I definitely think it's more competitive than dental school, b/c they expect much higher stats and community involvement than dental school. Also I personally think that the MCAT is MUCH more difficult than the DAT.
that is true that there are not many vet schools but also there are not many students interested in vet as far as i know ...sry if i m wrong...

stats required in terms of getting in. I'm not taking into account the number of seats available. There are less dental schools in comparison to med schools but the number of pre-med applicants is also relatively higher in comparison to pre-dent applicants.

yeah.. I don't know. that's why I've been asking ppl for links to information. there must some sort of ADEA breakdown as well as the med school equivalent breakdown. In the grand scheme of things it's not that important since dentistry is the only thing I want to do and a great job, but it would be interesting none the less.

That's the whole point. Why do you think I have asked twice for a breakdown of #applicants versus #seats ?

One reason why Dental is extremely competitive is because there are a heck of a lot less dental schools out there than med schools. Inherently this makes it more competitive than if there were more seats.
yes that is true....56 dental schools & ~126 med school...but also you have to take into account that there are very less predents than premeds....i think the ratio is like half....dont know... i am just guessing on what i see at my school...every1 i ask they are premed...i can hardly find a predent...i dont know if this is true just around this area or throughout the nation.

that is true that there are not many vet schools but also there are not many students interested in vet as far as i know ...sry if i m wrong...

Yeah... I'm not so sure how many people apply to vet school either, but it just seemed like a lot of students at my undergrad were applying including one of my best friends and it took her 3 years to get in! Who knows.

Hey guys, i would advise you to stop this discussion. Next thing you know, a med student will show up and start bashing. Believe me, we don't want to argue with those guys. I have seen a wild fight on facebook about a post entitled 'Dental School was my first choice, i am not a med-reject.' The OMFS guys got really pissed to the point that they let the MDs know that OMFS is a.k.a 'alpha of doctors'

If somebody is interested in medicine, go there. Those who like dentistry, stay around us. Don't start comparing these schools. All we know is 'dentist usually have bigger balls than MDs.'

Maybe doctoothache could do a statistical comparison...

Maybe doctoothache could do a statistical comparison...

That would be so awesome. Can someone who knows Doctoothache pass this thread along his way and suggest it? I'm curious what the answers would be, but would not know how to even begin such an analysis.

Vets aren't very smart. The students I know weren't anywhere near the top of the class. Marginal typically.

There aren't lots of spots in vet schools, because guys don't apply. More women care about animals than men.

Dent's competitive because there are fewer seats and schools have strong yet stupid bias. Lots of schools (like Nova) WANT mediocre students. They prefer to interview 16-18 AA over 23-24 AA.

Med's more competitive in terms of pure nerdiness. There are many more introverted geeks in the med school setting. I speak from personal experience.

Vets aren't very smart. The students I know weren't anywhere near the top of the class. Marginal typically.

There aren't lots of spots in vet schools, because guys don't apply. More women care about animals than men.

Dent's competitive because there are fewer seats and schools have strong yet stupid bias. Lots of schools (like Nova) WANT mediocre students. They prefer to interview 16-18 AA over 23-24 AA.

Med's more competitive in terms of pure nerdiness. There are many more introverted geeks in the med school setting. I speak from personal experience.

What's that? I'm glad you said it's your personal experience bc I know 3 people that got into vet school, 2 were phi beta kappa and 1 was lower GPA and had to go to Ross or St. Kitts or something. One out of the 3 was a man and I know a lot of very outgoing med students. I guess you can't judge just from your personal experiences. Eh?

Hey guys, i would advise you to stop this discussion. Next thing you know, a med student will show up and start bashing. Believe me, we don't want to argue with those guys. I have seen a wild fight on facebook about a post entitled 'Dental School was my first choice, i am not a med-reject.' The OMFS guys got really pissed to the point that they let the MDs know that OMFS is a.k.a 'alpha of doctors'

If somebody is interested in medicine, go there. Those who like dentistry, stay around us. Don't start comparing these schools. All we know is 'dentist usually have bigger balls than MDs.'
Dental is my first choice & will always remain my first choice. this is the first time i am applying to d-school. i have never applied to any professional school before. even if i get rejected for 08 cycle...i will not give up....i will keep on trying until i get in...so plz this thread is just out of curiosity (read the first msg in this thread)...no1 is abusing med school...its just a discussion

hi guys i got this #s from ADEA book..

2005-06 US dental schools

applicants - 10,731
enrollees - 4,558

~42% got accepted.

does anyone have the #s for med school? so we can figure out the percentile.

Here is the info I found but am uncertain how reliable some of it is:

MD 37364: 17,004 = 46% (2005)
DO 9737: 3880 = 40% (2006)
DDS 12,000: 4300 = 36% (2007)
VMD 5194: 2600 = 50% (2006)

I really don't think you can count on pure acceptance rate though b/c we all know that MD programs generally have higher standards than DO programs etc.

here is one thing I know about MD schools...

If you have... say a 3.1 or 3.2 GPA, about a 30 or so on the MCAT (this is equivilant to about a 20 on the DAT).... then you have a better shot of becoming the next LeBron James than getting into MOST USA schools. MD schools LOOK HARD on your GPA.

On the other hand a 3.2 GPA with a 20 on the DAT gives you an "OK" chance of getting into a Dental school

Good discussion; thanks to those people for digging up those numbers and raising their respective points.

Personally, it does not matter to me or affect me, as I never was interested in anything other than dentistry, but it is still interesting since as a dentist you are going to hear the "couldn't get into med school, huh?" comments your whole life.

Maybe doc toothache can weight in on this. Would be interesting to see an in-depth analysis, especially when the 2006-2007 cycle numbers are released.

Speaking of which, nobody could apply to AADSAS since mid-MArch. Shouldn't those numbers be available by now?

hi guys i got this #s from ADEA book..

2005-06 US dental schools

applicants - 10,731
enrollees - 4,558

~42% got accepted.

Keep in mind the ADEA book lists schools that do NOT participate with AADSAS, such as Mississippi, Georgia, Louisianna, etc. I suspect those schools are included in the enrollees number of 4558.. so if this assumption of mine is correct, the enrollees number is actually somewhat lower.

So - the percent admitted == how competitive something is? Nah. But then again it really dosen't matter -> dental school / medical school are both competitive (and what impact does this have on a career choice?).

Just out of my own personal curiosity I searched for avg. GPA for diff schools... each is a good school. Each of these should be near the top for a given field.

Yale - Law 25 to 75th percentile GPA 3.83-3.97
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

Harvard - MD avg GPA 3.81
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/premium/main/mdrrank.php

SUNY stony brook - DDS avg GPA 3.71
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Dental_Surgery

Cornell - Doctor of veterinary medicine avg GPA 3.7 http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prep.htm

UCSF - Pharm D avg GPA 3.53
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/aboutstudents/

Columbia College of Dental Medicine avg GPA 3.4
http://dental.columbia.edu/education/faqs.htm

If all you take competitive to mean is that there are more people going for fewer spots... than the above is irrelevant. But if what you mean is that something is more difficult, than I think avg GPA for an accepted applicant is a more useful measure. Of the health professions medical school is the most difficult to gain admission to. Can't really compare law, because the GPA is not dependent on the same course work.

So - the percent admitted == how competitive something is? Nah. But then again it really dosen't matter -> dental school / medical school are both competitive (and what impact does this have on a career choice?).

Good points and discussion! :thumbup: Thanks for including those links.

This is sort of like comparing oranges and apples; they are different fruit. You need to define what you mean by "competitive" and what kind of statistics will demonstrate that for you. I'm sure your answer may very according to which criteria you choose.

On the other hand, I am wondering about the motivation for your question. It's really a moot point to me, since it is likely that people who apply to one aren't going to apply to the other. My imagination is that by the time you are applying to a professional school that is as long, arduous, and expensive as either medical or dental school, you will have some clue as to which one you love. It's too difficult of a path to choose it arbitrarily in my humble opinion.

In terms of average overall GPA of a matriculant the differences between the two professions isn't profound, 3.52 for DMD/DDS (Ref: Wikipedia; Students Admitted in 2006) and 3.64 for MD (Ref: AAMC; Matriculants, 2006 Application Year). But this is just one number in a sea of many application elements. We all know that the application process consists of many factors, some of which are subjective. Additionally, I'm fairly sure that there are significant differences in application processes across the two professions. I wouldn't even try to compare them, as there are likely to be different elements that create a successful applicant in each profession.

Basically, I hope that whomever chooses medicine can be competitive for medical school and whomever chooses dentistry will be competitive for dental school. I happen to like "Fuji apples," so I learned how to cultivate an apple tree. It's a seedling right now, as I will be starting medical school this fall. I wish you luck in cultivating your application and much success in getting admitted into dental school.

:luck:

Did you say there are only 7, 987 applicants (from your link) for dental school? Which year are you referring?

Those were old numbers and the dental school applicants have increased dramatically. Stand by for an update.

Just out of my own personal curiosity I searched for avg. GPA for diff schools... each is a good school. Each of these should be near the top for a given field.

Yale - Law 25 to 75th percentile GPA 3.83-3.97
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

Harvard - MD avg GPA 3.81
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/premium/main/mdrrank.php

SUNY stony brook - DDS avg GPA 3.71
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Dental_Surgery

Cornell - Doctor of veterinary medicine avg GPA 3.7 http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/prep.htm

UCSF - Pharm D avg GPA 3.53
http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/aboutstudents/

Columbia College of Dental Medicine avg GPA 3.4
http://dental.columbia.edu/education/faqs.htm

If all you take competitive to mean is that there are more people going for fewer spots... than the above is irrelevant. But if what you mean is that something is more difficult, than I think avg GPA for an accepted applicant is a more useful measure. Of the health professions medical school is the most difficult to gain admission to. Can't really compare law, because the GPA is not dependent on the same course work.
i am doing a carrer choice here....i have already decided my career since high school & i am going to stick to it until i get in....i just wanted to see how much chance i have in getting into a d-school...coz i dont have predents friends here...but i have heard alot from premeds & prepharm students in how hard they struggle to get in blah blah....so wanted to see where i stand! thats about it!
i am not picking a career based on some #s

This is sort of like comparing oranges and apples; they are different fruit. You need to define what you mean by "competitive" and what kind of statistics will demonstrate that for you. I'm sure your answer may very according to which criteria you choose.

On the other hand, I am wondering about the motivation for your question. It's really a moot point to me, since it is likely that people who apply to one aren't going to apply to the other. My imagination is that by the time you are applying to a professional school that is as long, arduous, and expensive as either medical or dental school, you will have some clue as to which one you love. It's too difficult of a path to choose it arbitrarily in my humble opinion.

In terms of average overall GPA of a matriculant the differences between the two professions isn't profound, 3.52 for DMD/DDS (Ref: Wikipedia; Students Admitted in 2006) and 3.64 for MD (Ref: AAMC; Matriculants, 2006 Application Year). But this is just one number in a sea of many application elements. We all know that the application process consists of many factors, some of which are subjective. Additionally, I'm fairly sure that there are significant differences in application processes across the two professions. I wouldn't even try to compare them, as there are likely to be different elements that create a successful applicant in each profession.

Basically, I hope that whomever chooses medicine can be competitive for medical school and whomever chooses dentistry will be competitive for dental school. I happen to like "Fuji apples," so I learned how to cultivate an apple tree. It's a seedling right now, as I will be starting medical school this fall. I wish you luck in cultivating your application and much success in getting admitted into dental school.

:luck:
thnx 4 ur wish....once again m not pickin a career by asking u guys which 1 is more competitive...i just dnt kno any predent whos is struggling in gettin g into d-school...but i hav seen many cases of med & pharm....thts y i was just wondering wher d school stands in terms of struggling...rejection...competitive..etc

thnx 4 ur wish....once again m not pickin a career by asking u guys which 1 is more competitive...i just dnt kno any predent whos is struggling in gettin g into d-school...but i hav seen many cases of med & pharm....thts y i was just wondering wher d school stands in terms of struggling...rejection...competitive..etc

Understood. I don't venture around these parts, so I'm likely out of the loop, but the title of your thread attracted my attention. However, given what you said, I think a better, or more direct, question, instead of looking to compare different professions, would be, "How do you stand as of now in terms of being competitive for the dental school application process?" Additionally, it might also be useful to ask, "Given your current state, what can you do to increase your chances and options for dental school application?" Just some suggestions. Again, I don't know much about the dental school application process, but I gather that it is competitive enough to give pause. I suppose that and everything else is arguable. :D

Good luck in your endeavors.

i am doing a carrer choice here....i have already decided my career since high school & i am going to stick to it until i get in....i just wanted to see how much chance i have in getting into a d-school...coz i dont have predents friends here...but i have heard alot from premeds & prepharm students in how hard they struggle to get in blah blah....so wanted to see where i stand! thats about it!
i am not picking a career based on some #s
sorry i meant to say i am NOT doing a carrer choice here