Which one is more important? science gpa or overall gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Turtle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
this semester i'm taking calculus 1, chem 1, english 1 and (i don't know why) classical cultures. i'm really having hard time in my classical culture class. probably i will end up with c or d.
my question is: what do suggest me to do? all of other classes is going to be very likely to be A. but that darn classical class will decrease my gpa.
should i withdraw? or get an F and retake in summer?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your grade in the english class, broski?

PS: Don't let yourself get an F in anything. If an F is imminent, withdraw.

Science GPA, but you want to make sure there's not a huge imbalance between it and your cumulative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Science GPA, but you want to make sure there's not a huge imbalance between it and your cumulative.

I've often seen people on here say the cGPA matters more than sGPA. What's your rationale?

Both are important. Neither one will get you in and a bad average for either will keep you out.

Both are important. Neither one will get you in and a bad average for either will keep you out.

My pre-med advisor (so, take it or leave it) always said this too. Her reasoning was, a high cGPA and low sGPA makes you look like you're bad at science, and a high sGPA and low cGPA makes you look lazy.

Probably best to be as well rounded as possible. If your class situation doesn't look salvageable OP, withdraw.

thanks guys :) this is my first semester in college and maybe i'm little bit nervous:) i'm going to drop that course and my stress will be gone.