Hottpants89

7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
West Virginia will cost you $80,000 more over the course of school. In my opinion its better because of the reputation, but not that much better. I am also accepted into WVSOM but will probably be turning it down for the same reason even though my other acceptance is only 10k per year cheaper.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally, I think that DCOM has a great reputation for being a newer school so you wouldn't be in at a disadvantage if you chose to got here.

Hottpants89

7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Personally, I think that DCOM has a great reputation for being a newer school so you wouldn't be in at a disadvantage if you chose to got here.
I agree. I haven't heard one bad thing about it. What I mean was that WVSOM is more well known. Recent med students have heard of LMU but not many other people have. Everyone knows the University of West Virginia. I don't think that this matters much though so I would go LMU, unless you're doing a military scholarship or something where tuition doesn't matter.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
lmu because its a lot cheapter. i interviewed there and its an awesome facility, it's just too rural for me.

OP
O
Oct 16, 2010
Status
lmu because its a lot cheapter. i interviewed there and its an awesome facility, it's just too rural for me.
yea thats a huge issue for me as well but I figure its only 2 years and it could potentially be a good thing to get away from all the distractions that an urban setting could bring.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
isn't wvsom rural as well? unless its ot as rural per se.

Yes, but it could be that Lewisburg, WV (I think that's where WVSOM is located) is less rural than Harrogate, TN.......but to me they are on the same level in terms of location.

May 12, 2010
Seattle, WA
Status
Medical Student
Yes, but it could be that Lewisburg, WV (I think that's where WVSOM is located) is less rural than Harrogate, TN.......but to me they are on the same level in terms of location.

WVSOM is rural, but not quite as rural as Harrogate. They have a walmart and chain restaurants in Lewisburg, while in Harrogate there is a pizza place.

HopefulDoc1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2007
Status
Medical Student
DCOM is only about 45 minutes from the University of Tennessee. There is plenty to do when you have time. I would have to say that DCOM would be the way to go. Up and coming.

Dr Yiot

7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2009
the great white north
Status
Medical Student
DCOM is only about 45 minutes from the University of Tennessee. There is plenty to do when you have time. I would have to say that DCOM would be the way to go. Up and coming.
this.

plus i heard they were gonna open up a "5 guys" on campus because they havent been prescribing enough lipitor for the htn patients at the student clinic. :laugh:

Styria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
WVSOM is rural, but not quite as rural as Harrogate. They have a walmart and chain restaurants in Lewisburg, while in Harrogate there is a pizza place.
Middlesboro has a Walmart.
There are things in the area, but it's more of an event to go do them.

Feb 22, 2010
West Virginia
Status
Medical Student
Ok so, I need your help on this, ok so i've recently been accepted to 2 schools and dont know what to do. LMU-DCOM or WVSOM, I'm in california so out of state for both. I should also mention that i've already put the deposit down at LMU-DCOM so I would potentially be throwing that away if I chose to do WVSOM so money-wise dcom wins big.

heres what i've come up with so far

Curriculum: I like dcom's system based

Cost: dcom again, obviously

just torn here, not really sure what to do.
Instead of thinking just strictly about money, think of your career. You want to find schools that have sent students to good residency programs and have a decent COMLEX pass rate. I honestly don't know anything about DCOM, but WVSOM has sent a handful of students to top hospitals systems for residency (Duke Med, Yale, etc). WVSOM also has great professors in the OPP department and possibly the coolest Anatomy department (they dressed up as the cast of the Wizard of Oz this year, last year they were Harry Potter characters). Also, I feel that WVSOM's tuition is all inclusive. You get a nice laptop with a four year warranty. Come anatomy, you will get a bone box for EACH individual student. Most schools, like WVU for example, have their students share the bone boxes with their anatomy group (so there are about 5 people to each bone box). Also, anatomy is a dissection course, not a pro-section course (pre-dissected cadaver). The professors here have an open door policy and they are extremely helpful. In fact, a few weeks ago one of the Biochemistry professors showed up to the classroom (a popular study spot) to see if students needed any last minute help before the exam the next day. Anyways, think about the education you are getting versus how much you are spending. We will all be in debt when we graduate and hopefully you will repay your debt quickly as a physician. Good Luck!

JuliaJulia

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2010
Status
I also have to make this decision --I have been accepted to WVSOM & LMU-DCOM as well as another one --PCOM-Ga.

For me, the high cost of WVSOM outweighs its great reputation and therefore it is not my top choice.
From what I've learned LMU-DCOM has a great program directed towards success on the boards.
PCOM-Ga has a great reputation because it is well PCOM!

I am choosing between LMU-DCOM & PCOM-Ga now...anyone help me please!