which one to choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComplexPuzzle

shakin dat a**
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help...I am trying to decide between two research positions to take for the year. Neither one is in an area of research in which I am particularly interested. One positon is with NIH and the other is on a military base doing defensive chemical research. Apart from which one will look better during the whole application process, I am trying to figure out which one will afford me greater opportunities both in the present and future. Any insight anyone can give would be appreciated. Oh yeah from a monetary standpoint both are relatively equal and traveling distance would be almost the same.

Members don't see this ad.

NIH generally encourages publications. The military generally discourage, preferring you to file internal reports.

Originally posted by ComplexPuzzle
Help...I am trying to decide between two research positions to take for the year. Neither one is in an area of research in which I am particularly interested. One positon is with NIH and the other is on a military base doing defensive chemical research. Apart from which one will look better during the whole application process, I am trying to figure out which one will afford me greater opportunities both in the present and future. Any insight anyone can give would be appreciated. Oh yeah from a monetary standpoint both are relatively equal and traveling distance would be almost the same.

How about one that you're more interested in, instead? :)

They both sound good, but if you're not really interested in either...

Anyway, remember that for the military one, you might not be able to talk about it so much. If they ask you about it at the interview, you might have to say, "ummm, that's classified." :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what kind of work would you be doing at NIH?
what kind of research do you ultimately want to do?
where do you see yourself applying down the road.
if you're interested in military medicine, the choice is clear. but if you're looking towards a very competitive research school (top 10) then I think NIH would look much better on your resume. Assuming all things being equal.
MOre questions:
where would you be able to work more independently
and do you think the NIH thing looks like it could land you a publication?
While my head thinks you should do the NIH thing, my heart says screw it, do the army thing. be around bombs and guns and do something cool that will give you some interesting stories to talk about.
also consider recs... under which scenario would you be working in closer proximity to someone who matters (a PI or the equivalent in the military)

Bench research working with the chromosomes. I eventually see myself enter into the field of HIV vaccine research. I am def applying to top ten schools, but working on a military base does seem like a cool idea. There is a airfield across from the building I would work in. You get to see practice flights and stuff. So I don't know.

oh by the way dark child why do you hate nelly furtado? :confused:

Originally posted by ComplexPuzzle
oh by the way dark child why do you hate nelly furtado? :confused:

Ummm...because she sucks?

well thanks for sharing your OPINION... i'll take note of it

I'd go with the military one, of course I always wanted to say...

"I can't tell you because its classified information"

or...

"I can tell you, but then I'd have to kill you"