Which one would you choose? BU/Temple/NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnpp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i just wanted to know which school would you choose between those? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

drnpp said:
Hey guys,

I think the choice should be between Temple and Nova, which have some differences. THe first obvious difference is obviously location/weather.....Nova is also a newer school and has much nicer facilities.

But Ive heard that Nova has trouble getting patients, and there was a debate last year on SDN regarding NOva's troubles with its procedures....u should do a search for that thread and read it....try and contact some recent Nova senior students and ask them for their opinions

Another big difference is age of school.....Temple is 125 years old and a more established school, and Nova is a new school

other than those differences, its gonna a tough decision......I think in this issue, location might be the deciding factor....

drnpp said:
Hey guys,

All three schools are high quality programs. I think the choice really comes down to where you want to go to school rather than anything else, as all 3 schools are improving steadily. Temple is in the worst area of the three by far. Nova is in the warmest place. BU is in one of the best college towns in the country. No matter which school you choose, you will find pros and cons. I think the faculty is the best at BU. I would recommend BU. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
boree said:
All three schools are high quality programs. I think the choice really comes down to where you want to go to school rather than anything else, as all 3 schools are improving steadily. Temple is in the worst area of the three by far. Nova is in the warmest place. BU is in one of the best college towns in the country. No matter which school you choose, you will find pros and cons. I think the faculty is the best at BU. I would recommend BU. :thumbup:

I like how you put that out of the 3, Temple is in the worst area "by far".....making it seem like BU isnt in the ghetto :rolleyes:

If anyone has been to BU, you'll know that its also in the ghetto...

The reason I didnt consider BU (other than my personal opinions....you can do a search if you want to read them) is the cost. Not only is BU's tuition more expensive, but you can live in Philly or Florida for half the price of Boston. Also, you have the opportunity to get instate residency at Temple.....I did.

And sure everyone knows Boston is a great college town, but Philadelphia has no shortages of students. THere are colleges on every corner in Philadelphia, so there are students everywhere as well....

Dr.BadVibes said:
I like how you put that out of the 3, Temple is in the worst area "by far".....making it seem like BU isnt in the ghetto :rolleyes:

If anyone has been to BU, you'll know that its also in the ghetto...

The reason I didnt consider BU (other than my personal opinions....you can do a search if you want to read them) is the cost. Not only is BU's tuition more expensive, but you can live in Philly or Florida for half the price of Boston. Also, you have the opportunity to get instate residency at Temple.....I did.

And sure everyone knows Boston is a great college town, but Philadelphia has no shortages of students. THere are colleges on every corner in Philadelphia, so there are students everywhere as well....

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the Philli worst area by far remark, but I've lived in Boston area all my life until leaving for undergrad, and I will definitely agree BU is in not such a great area of Boston. However, Boston has very few bad areas in general, and its bad areas look like good areas compared to actual bad areas in cities like Phili, Chicago, DC, and NYC. After driving through actual ghettos and projects in chicago, phili and DC...the BUSDM area looks like a suburb. I have nothing against Temple, it has some history/tradition but I wouldn't want to spend my next 4 years worrying about making it through dental school alive. I'll have enough worries just making it through dental school.

Temple's clinical is second to NONE! I live in south florida and NOVA DOES have issues obtaining patients. I have also heard that their instructors are very shaky, and that the school is having difficulties keeping its teachers. NOVA is a new school, and of course does not have the clout that Temple has. As for the area ( philly vs boston) the area where temple is at isnt THAT bad... i have seen WAY worse (living in Miami). There is a tution difference between temple (cheaper, and so is the cost of living) and BU... Temple has a better clinical program. with that said... TEMPLE, TEMPLE, TEMPLE!!!!!!!!! and center city is AMAZING!!! :laugh: :love:

BU's area isnt bad at all...Im in that area many times walking around at midnight and there is zero threat of anything happening. The south end has its bad areas, but thats blocks away from where BU is located. Safety is not an issue around BUSDM, specially if you live within a 5 min walk of the school, which accounts for most of the BU students who live in the south end.

One other thing, regarding clinical training...not sure how much of a correlation there is between clinical training and the NERBs, but BU's performance on the NERBs has been among the best in the country, 3 years in a row.