Which one yo choose, NYU or Temple? (For Current students at these schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfordat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to choose between Temple University and New York University.

I have complied a list of questions for both schools. I also want to know out of these two schools, which one has a better and more student friendly curriculum. i guess best way to say is, which one is easier (I hate saying this, but I want to make sure people understand what I am trying to get at). Some schools have very cramped and difficult curriculum, and so that's why i want to know. Also, tell about living areas, which one is better. I think tuition wise both schools are almost the same. So following are the questions for each schools. I really really need very sincere and un goofy advice. This is a very important decision for me, as it is for all other students. Thank you very very much in advance.

NYU:
How are the first year and second years curriculum like? Is the grading system very difficult, because that is what i have heard from a few other students. They say that the grading system for exams is hard because there are a lot of students and they want to be selective. Is that true? I really liked the school when I went for an interview there. Also, do you guys have exams every week or is it after 2-3 weeks? How is the grading system like, are some courses pass/fail? Also, how are the requirement for NYU, the clinical requirements. Are they comparative to other schools? Is it hard to get a chair there? How is it like when in 3rd year , international students also join the class? Also, how is the living in NY? Does NYU have dorms or apartments for dental students near the school? Where do students usually live? How much is the cost of a one bedroom apartment in NY near the school. What areas do most students live in? Would you recommend students to come here if they also got into other schools? I really appreciate your help in answering my questions. I am sorry if there are too many but it will help me a lot. Thank you so much.

Temple:
How do you like it at Temple? Would you recommend it to other students? Please also tell me about the area. Does Temple have dorms or apartments just for the students near the school? what area do most students live in and how do they commute to school? How are the living expenses? Rent for one bedroom apartment in a good area? Is it hard to get a chair? Do you feel that temple has more requirements than other dental schools? How are the exams, are they multiple choice? Do you have exams every week or is it after 2-3 weeks? How is the grading, is it pass/fail? Please I need all the information I can get about the school. Thank you so much for answering my numerous questions, but I really appreciate it a lot. I look forward to your response. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU:Wow...
How are the first year and second years curriculum like? It's dental school. You have normal systems in your first year and pathological systems in your second year. You also have preclinic which progresses from waxing to operative to fixed and removable prosth to endo, perio, OS, etc...Is the grading system very difficult, because that is what i have heard from a few other students. They say that the grading system for exams is hard because there are a lot of students and they want to be selective. Is that true? I don't think this is true. I really liked the school when I went for an interview there. Also, do you guys have exams every week or is it after 2-3 weeks? They changed it this year -- I believe there are weekly quizzes. This is good though because it keeps you on top of your material. How is the grading system like, are some courses pass/fail? Some are H/P/F but only the "joke" classes. Also, how are the requirement for NYU, the clinical requirements. Are they comparative to other schools? As far as I know Is it hard to get a chair there? No. There is a waitlist 6 patients long and even after that there's usually open chairs. Worst case scenario I've heard is you have to take your patient to a different clinic. But you get your chair. I'd be mor worried about getting your patients to show up for their appointments :) How is it like when in 3rd year , international students also join the class? They join second year. About 100 of them. Excellent resource. It's like having 100 extra faculty. They've all passed part 1 boards already Also, how is the living in NY? Does NYU have dorms or apartments for dental students near the school? Yes. Apartments. Where do students usually live? First year most students live in Dorms, Stuyvesant Town, Waterside, or Kips Bay. Other students go through a broker. Others just find a place on their own (craigslist or urbansherpa) How much is the cost of a one bedroom apartment in NY near the school. A lot. Look on craigslist for "gramercy" "kips bay" or "flat iron". 10 minute walk is probably as far south as 14th st, north to 34th, and as far over as maybe Park Ave? What areas do most students live in? Would you recommend students to come here if they also got into other schools? Depends what you want. Great clinical education. Temple is well-known as a "hands-on" clinical school and I think NYU is right up there with it. Except I think NYU does a better job of balancing in the sciences. More well-rounded. I really like it here and would recommend coming here if you think it's a good fit for YOU I really appreciate your help in answering my questions. I am sorry if there are too many but it will help me a lot. Thank you so much.

GOOD LUCK

I'm just finishing up my first semester at temple and would be happy to share my thoughts. I was actually in your position last january and chose temple over NYU, and the reasons that I thought I would be better off at temple have been pretty accurate so far.

As has been said before, Temple is a very clinically-based school. The academics so far have not been very difficult, with the one exception of Biochemistry. Though I've been shooting for A's (along with the others who want to specialize), I have no doubt that if I had decided that B's and C's were good enough I could have gotten through this semester with minimal effort. That being said, I also don't expect any trouble with the boards, since they're pass/fail now and my scores won't affect my future career anyway. Next semester is supposed to be significantly more difficult though, and second year is even harder than that, so even at temple you have to expect to put some work in, though from what I gather the academics here are not as tough as you might see elsewhere.

To answer your specific questions, we had 6 classes this semester: biochem (5 credits), histology (6 credits), restorative (lecture 2 credits, lab 2 credits), dental materials (2 credits) preventive dentistry (1 credit), and behavioral science (1 credit). Histology was weekly quizzes that added up to 44% of the grade and then a final exam at the end. Biochem had occasional quizzes that weren't heavily weighted along with three exams, equally spaced but with a cumulative final (sooo much information). Restorative is an easy A, with four lecture exams (of which only the first is hard), and 7 lab practicals (that are really hard to fail). Dental materials is tough, since the teacher is very detail oriented. We have 2 quizzes, 2 exams, and a group project in that one. Preventive is only one credit, and your final grade is randomly determined (as best the students can tell at least). Behavioral has tough exams but several easy quizzes and homeworks to bring up your grade (write how you feel today and turn it in, you get an A!). Most of the midterms (behavioral, prev dent, dental materials, restorative #2) were around the end of october, with the biochem exams kinda off on their own (which is nice, since they're the hardest). Stuff usually doesn't pile up on you during the semester, but I'm expecting a little stress during finals week (next week). and all the exams are multiple choice (except for the lab practicals, of course), and we do them on scantrons. Grading is a pure A, B, C, D, F system and grades of D or F both requre remediation. Remediation for any class except restorative lab is just another crack at the final exam, but if you fail restorative lab you have to stay and do the first month of the summer break and redo all the lab projects.

Yes, temple has more clinical requirements than other schools, but most people seem to have no trouble getting it all done. One of my roommates is a senior and he finished all his cases earlier this semester and plans to just veg out next semester. I don't have the exact requirements since I'm just a freshman, but Brian Hahn would probably tell you since they tend to be very proud of it. I don't know what its like to get chairs but I never hear anyone complaining about it either.

As far as living goes, pretty much everyone has a 30-60 minute commute. The school itself is in a dreadful neighboorhood (hence the huge patient base), so everyone lives a fair distance away. Center city is popular if you don't want to have a car, since you can take the subway straight up to school (there's a stop right on our corner). Another even more popular area is Roxborough/Manayunk, which is a great place for college and proffesional students. Its relatively hip, fairly safe, and innexpensive and its just a 30 min commute by car. Thats where alot of the house parties are on the weekends (most of us like to get drunk on fridays) and there are some soccer leagues and the like out there as well. Studios out there range around 850 while two bedrooms go for 1100. If you have a car its definately where you want to be, IMHO.

There are some things that might push you to NYU though. Philadelphia is really not a pretty city, for one thing, and the area that temple dental school in is among the worst in philly. New York could be a fun place to live for four years (if you can afford it). Another disadvantage to temple is the ugly, outdated facilities. The lecture halls are a nightmare, and much of our lab equipment is in poor shape. I wouldn't say that the facilities have been in any way a detriment to my experiences, but it must be said that they are very ugly, while NYU has beautiful new lecture halls and clinics.

For me, it came down to the fact that I didn't want to live in NY for four years and I could have a car in Philly, and I've been quite happy here so far, though if you like NY, I'm sure you could be happy there too.

hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I chose temple over NYU because, although tuition rates are similar, housing costs are not. if you speak to faculty and students at NYU, they recommend that you live close to the school, which is very expensive (I found it to be ~$2000/month for a 1 bedroom). I am paying for a studio in phila for $1050/month, utilities included. I commute to school via the subway (20 minutes). Housing expenses aside, I considered NYC and phila to both be great places to live.
Despite my frustration with them, the exams for D1 first semester are fair, for the most part. Yes, they are multiple coice. There are weekly quizzes in histology and biochemistry. Histology is weird, IMHO; the quiz format is inconsistent. Sometimes they are very specific. Other times they are so general that everyone obviously over-studied. There were days when I wondered if the professor threw together the questions 30 minutes before the quiz. Biochemistry, I think, is the most fairly structured class. It is difficult (obviously. it is biochemistry afterall.). There are also weekly quizzes in biochemistry, but they are not worth much of your grade (unlike histology) and he allows you to drop your lowest 2 quiz scores. Anyway, Will covered everything really well. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
I cannot thank you enough for the time and effort that you guys have put in in answering these questions. I really appreciate it!

both schools have really good clinical programs; slight edge to temple...nyu has by far much better facilities, manhattan is a much better place to live in compared to the the dump surrounding temple....but it comes with the cost....so if you want to save money go to Temple

Temple:
How do you like it at Temple? Love it, glad I came here.Would you recommend it to other students? Absolutely. It really is a great school, and the new dean will take it further. Dean Tansy did some great things, but it was way overdue for him to step down. The new dean is doing great things at Temple.Please also tell me about the area. Its a dump.Does Temple have dorms or apartments just for the students near the school? No.what area do most students live in and how do they commute to school? Roxborough, car/subway. How are the living expenses?Cheap, compared to other major cities, a little more expensive compared to a small town. Is it hard to get a chair? Nope, sometimes perio but supposedly this summer we get our own chairs, so if that happens then not at all.Do you feel that temple has more requirements than other dental schools?Absolutely. We have to do 125 extractions to graduate, 500 points in operative for a "C". But, nobody has trouble getting it done. I have so many patients, the pts that have no showed me haven't been called back yet. How are the exams, are they multiple choice? All multiple choice. It depends. This last finals, I had a class that I went to every day, studied every night, and read the text to get an A. I had another class this semester that I never went to, pulled out the powerpoints the night before the test, read through it once and pulled out an A. So, some are hard and others are a joke.Do you have exams every week or is it after 2-3 weeks? Most are classes are twice a semester (midterm and final). There are a couple exceptions (every couple of weeks or just a final). The worst is second semster second year. You have at least two tests every week for six weeks. Other than that semester, it is very, very manageable.How is the grading, is it pass/fail? A, B, C, F. An 89 and an 80 is a B. That can be frustrating.Please I need all the information I can get about the school. Thank you so much for answering my numerous questions, but I really appreciate it a lot. I look forward to your response. Thanks.

Temple is a good school and allows you to be whatever you want to be. I have done well in school, have received scholarships, done hundreds of hours of CE, and spent plenty of time with my wife and child. It really is a great school and I am glad I picked this school to attend. The new dean is doing great things and making this school worthy of alum donations.

Temple is a good school and allows you to be whatever you want to be. I have done well in school, have received scholarships, done hundreds of hours of CE, and spent plenty of time with my wife and child. It really is a great school and I am glad I picked this school to attend. The new dean is doing great things and making this school worthy of alum donations.

what kind of scholarships are you talking about. we can get them after first year?