Which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaraRae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, this is my first post on SDN so be nice :p

So I started taking college classes in 10th grade in High School and will have my associates degree when I graduate in May. So for summer of 2011 I will be a Junior Biology major (I know, how original :rolleyes:). Anyways the college I attend now is a small (but growing) state college. They offer only 9 Bachelor degrees and no graduate degrees. The B.S. in Biology is launching it's program in January 2011, so I would ony be the second class to graduate. Staying here would be cheaper, plus smaller classes and more opportunities sense they are just starting out.

My second option, it going to a large state university that will be opening up a med school in Fall of 2011. This would be more expensive, but better recongized.

Which one would should I choose? Also, would I'm thinking Carribean.. does this change which one I should choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Major in something you're interested in and, ideally, passionate about.

The keys to acceptance are:

Good GPA (both overall and BCPM specific)
Extracurriculars showing that you are well-rounded
Clinical exposure/shadowing
Research is very helpful, but not a requirement
Good MCAT score

Nobody actually cares what major you had as long as you end up with a bachelor's degree, took the med school pre-reqs, and did well. The caveat here is that if you major in nursing or something that will make adcoms leery because you spent your entire college career explicitly preparing for a job that isn't medicine, which brings your commitment to med school into question (which is a big deal since it's a very long and very bumpy road to become a doc, making burn-out a factor).

The reputation of your school is pretty tangential to the process unless it's a top school (at which you did well) or a diploma mill.

And, on saying all that, keep in mind that the bar for acceptance is lower for Caribbean schools. Also, you shouldn't aim for a Caribbean school. If you can at all help it go for a US MD/DO school.

Which school do you think? The small one that's barely known, or the major state uni?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, this is my first post on SDN so be nice :p

So I started taking college classes in 10th grade in High School and will have my associates degree when I graduate in May. So for summer of 2011 I will be a Junior Biology major (I know, how original :rolleyes:). Anyways the college I attend now is a small (but growing) state college. They offer only 9 Bachelor degrees and no graduate degrees. The B.S. in Biology is launching it's program in January 2011, so I would ony be the second class to graduate. Staying here would be cheaper, plus smaller classes and more opportunities sense they are just starting out.

I don't know where you are getting your associate's degree, but where I'm from, most associate's degrees are only attainable at community/junior/&c. colleges. Be aware that some schools look down on med school pre-requisite courses (intro bio, gen chem, organic chem, physics) that are taken at these schools. Again, this is just a disclaimer — depends on your school and the schools where you will be applying.

My second option, it going to a large state university that will be opening up a med school in Fall of 2011. This would be more expensive, but better recongized.

Which one would should I choose? Also, would I'm thinking Carribean.. does this change which one I should choose?

Pick whatever school works best with your personal situation. When most physicians talk about their education, they primarily mention residency. Compared to that, and medical school, their undergraduate institutions seem pretty insignificant. Also, just because your undergrad has a med school doesn't mean you'll be given any sort of preference during the application process. I know lots of people who didn't get love from their home institutions. :( Sucks, but so it goes.

nursing isnt medicine?

In fact, it is nursing.

There's a reason that if you graduate from a nursing program you aren't awarded a medical degree and vice versa.

I'm not attempt to put down nursing by saying it isn't medicine, they're just different, but each important. Gummy bears aren't tootsie rolls but I like them all the same.

Go to the school that suits you best and gives you the best opportunities to distinguish yourself in whatever it is you want to get involved with. If you want to do research, go big. If you want a more personal atmosphere, go small. Either way, go to where you are going to be happy and get the best well rounded education you can.

DO NOT rush in to medical school. Trust me, they will get their time out of you, there is no need to rush.

Usually, it is easier to get into a med school if you went to that school for undergrad (for various reasons). That being said, if the two are in the same state, the difference may be negligible.

I agree with the above post that you should not aim for carribean schools. That is opening up a whole new bag of worms that (you will understand in a few years) should be more of a fall-back.

Do what makes you happy. Get as much education as you can (not just in biology or chemistry). Travel. Do not rush in to med school. Visit as many schools as you can. You're med school debt will dwarf your undergrad debt regardless. But don't dig yourself in a hole, because the vast majority of people who want to go in to medicine either change their minds or have their minds changed for them.

Usually, it is easier to get into a med school if you went to that school for undergrad (for various reasons). That being said, if the two are in the same state, the difference may be negligible.

I do think that there is some advantage to being at a school with a medical school. FAU having a med school will mean research opportunities, building connections with directors of MD admissions and especially considering FAU's med school already had some degree of experience from its previous status as a branch of UMiami school of medicine for the past several years until its recent break off, as such there will be people who are experienced for quite some time in MD admissions to help guide you as you go through the process. You can also get clinical and volunteer opportunities with their affiliated hospitals and get involved with student organizations and stuff which I think will be helpful.

Good points — I stand corrected! I guess the people who didn't get into their home schools were more likely to be vocally upset about it. :)