Which OOS schools to apply to? Suggestions/Explanations Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SXCoronado

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add UB and Maryland. By all that is holy do not give a single dime to nyu or usc.

Why put them on the list in the first place? And why apply to more than even ten schools on top of your three state schools?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get rid of Tufts, washington (not OOS friendly), LECOM (this place SUCKS), usc (TOO EXPENSIVE), Colorado (very expensive for OOS), get rid of Boston (school has problems)
Hi, I'm applying next cycle and would appreciate suggestions on which OOS dental schools to apply to.

Stats:
oGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.5
DAT 25AA/24TS/21PAT
--BIO22, GC26, OC25, QR24, RC27
Residency: TX
ECs:
-Research experience (biochemical reactions, virtual drug screening)
-A few pre health clubs for a few years now & all the associated volunteering jazz
Shadowing
-An ortho and general dentist so far ~100 hours

I am first going to apply to the 3 Texas schools (Baylor, San Antonio, and Houston). Please give me feedback on my preliminary list of OOS schools:

1. Tufts
2. Boston University
3. Case Western
4. Colorado
5. Pacific University
6. UCSF
7. USC
8. Oregon
9. Washington
10. Columbia
11. UConn
12. Minnesota
13. NYU
14. Temple
15. OHSU
16. LECOM

Which ones should I remove and why? Which ones should I add? How many OOS should I apply to in addition to my 3 in state schools?

Thank you!

I guess. I mean, assuming you're representing yourself truthfully, you look competitive enough to secure enough interviews from that many apps.

You may very well get to stay in Texas for dental school. Just go wherever you can get that DDS/DMD for the least $$$

Why would you even want to apply outside of Texas? Seems foolish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Because applying to only 3 schools sounds foolish?

I would save the money. Your GPA is just fine, there might be one or two other kids with a DAT that high, chances of you not getting into a Texas school is slim.

If you really feel the need to apply to more schools, I would think 3ish OOS is more than plenty. No need to just waste money.

UCONN go here if you can

UConn is already in my list. Add Michigan for what reason? Thanks for the reply
cuz its gud skool...strong at everything. i forgot its oos seats tho

I'll add it, but I've heard it's very expensive. Still worth applying?
Let's just say this... I don't know you, but I can almost guarantee that I am in a worse financial state than you. Didn't deter me from at least applying there...

Louisville has a lot of OOS seats.