Which ophthalmoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JANPLME

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Welch-Allyn opthalmoscope? They supposedly give you five times the view of a regular ophthalmoscope, but they're about $150 more. Does anyone know anything about them or have any opinions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you bring a friend to the store and try it out?
Mikado

Welch-Allyn is the only way to go. Yeah I know -- the money -- it sucks, but buy it and you will never be disappointed. Oh -- and get the rechargable one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a pocket Welch-Allyn opthalmoscope. I don't know if it's me or if it's my scope, but I haven't been able to see an optic disk!

The pocket scopes are cool 'cause I can clip them into my coat pocket and not have to worry over their wandering off. Not too sure about the quality though...

------------------
Tim Wu.

I had lots of trouble seeing the disc with the pocket scopes Tim. Maybe it was my "expensive" eyes - only the best for these babies!!!

I went with the Welch-Allyn 9200-C kit. Hardly ever used it because there was always one in clinic, on the wards etc. and it seemed to risky to bring mine with me. Sold it for a nice price on eBay recently.

Anyone want to buy some neuro tools?
smile.gif

I never bought the ophthalmoscope, and never missed it. Most clinics and wards have them. I did borrow one a couple of times for rotations where I really needed it (neuro and Ophtho), but had no problem beyond that. Not buying one was one of the smarter things I've done over the past 4 years!

Kim,

So the pocket scopes are too crappy to use in finding the optic disk?

Darn.

------------------
Tim Wu.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by turtleboard:
Kim,

So the pocket scopes are too crappy to use in finding the optic disk?

Darn.

Nah...probably just your technique!
wink.gif

Honestly, if you got good you could probably see it with a magnifying glass and a match, but I found it really difficult task even with the full size set.

Difference of opinion really: some advocate learning on the hard things (like pocket scopes and nurses$12 stethoscopes) so that you can do the task under any conditions and others (like myself) advocate using the best equipment possible because its hard to learn the techniques at first and any help is great.

I don't think the pocket set has the optic power that the full size one does but I know many people that are happy with them.

I frankly side with Tussy. I don't see a need to buy ANY set during medical school or residency. By the time you get out into practice you'll want a new set anyway, or will still have access to those mounted on the wall.

Im sure you will do extremely well with your set Tim.
smile.gif